Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
j4rio

Blabber Thread

I'm currently riding another shitty train through my useless country that takes around 8 hours until arrival, so I thought I'll pass time by rewatching some stuff from dsda and leaving a little bit of commentary, because why not.

vanguard map 1 max 0:51 by me
Probably insignificant to most, I think this is one of my most valued polishing efforts ever, particularly because of how unexpectedly this demo materialized itself. I recall getting a :59 that didn't strike me off as too bad either, but then shortly after this happened. I mean, watch doomedsda.us/lmps/1710/1/vg01-100.zip]1:00 run by Memfis and tell me there is that significant room for improvement. All the time saved comes from core behavior of doom itself rather than a notable route change, or more precisely, from the behavior of berserk itself. The demo is the epitome of why I loathe berserk maxes with passion, but like a true hypocrite cherish the sight of fluently berserked map. Just thinking of how grindy matching that time could be is giving me chills.

vile flesh map 4 max 1:36 by me
I consider this to be my crowning victory against a slow terribly unreliable teleporter. Unfortunately an unknowing watcher wouldn't know any of the shenanigans going on in the map without preknowledge and the demo itself isn't flawless especially due to exiting with one rocket left. However, the circumstances of the demo are actually not that far from a RNG miracle, which was actually something I realised once a built TAS of the same category showed up with whopping 25 seconds of improvement. A hell knight that immediately escaped from the blue room and flawlessly grouped with the rest of the meat is just icing on the cake.

cchest4 map 1 max 1:11 by me
A result of a lenghty grind that left a bad taste I'm still noticing when rewatching the demo. Miserable survivability and complete infight & shotgun damage dependance with a lethal berserk finale is like a first step of recipe for attending rage management central. One of the worst maps for maxes imaginable.

claustrophobia 1024 map 1 max 0:34 by tatsurd
Basically tatsurd experiencing the did-that-really-just-fucking-happen moment. Also a 34.97. One of the slickest short maxes ever.

year_23 max in 18:38 by Qaatar
Don't be fooled by qaatar's stupid self-deprecating attitude. The demo is the epitome of insanity and despite the lenght, chances of this ever getting improved are thinner than nailtip. The ssg skill showcased here is god-tier.

unholy realms map 1 max in 0:41 by 4shock
The latest ultra-short max from last year that made it to my faves. I'm a sucker for optimization effort put to short maxes. Too bad about the whole bugfixing fiasco, as it would have been a great demopack introduction in a similar vein as vile's tnt map 1 max from 2011.

ggg001 max in 12:35 by death-destiny
My another fetish is debut demos, when people just post one or few demos and then disappear for good. The major figures of this niche would be xantor, hi jango, and last but not least, death-destiny with a showcase of gameplay as otherwordly as his mapping. Solid action for a 2008 demo.

doom e1m1 max in 0:29 by Rimmer
Well, for a starter map of original doom this is surprisingly not that good. I'm surprised no 0:28> exists because it looks rather doable.

em116 map 1 tyson in 5:56 by me
There's nothing of interest here, demo is nothing special, category is acquired taste and the wad is niche. The only thing to check here is the date, november 2010. It's my oldest boom-compatible demo. I'm not sure if I should hate it or loathe it. It's been 5 years already?

Okay enough pointless rant. Signing out.

Heh, this is rather entertaining. I'd like to see you or someone take on the role of speed run commentary/rating/whatever on a semi-permanent basis. Hope your ride is (almost) over by the time you're reading this.

It's a shame there's not more commentary on other people's demos. Also I had something to post that was sort of on topic for this but it's not quite ready yet...

j4rio said:

Wow, this is the most insane run I've ever seen. Qataar is like a cat with 9 lives, except he says he actually died here "at least a few hundred times!" The monsters just keep on melting like they were made of butter. SSG = Surgical Shot Gun!

5/5

j4rio said:

unholy realms map 1 max in 0:41 by 4shock
The latest ultra-short max from last year that made it to my faves. I'm a sucker for optimization effort put to short maxes. Too bad about the whole bugfixing fiasco, as it would have been a great demopack introduction in a similar vein as vile's tnt map 1 max from 2011.

Damn that beginning looked frustrating, excepting the first zombie man, and shortly after the berserk pack. Some monsters just dont wanna go down!

I wonder if its possible to make that lift in time at the end, if you punch everything instead of shotgunning them. Easier said than done, of course.

40oz said:

Damn that beginning looked frustrating, excepting the first zombie man, and shortly after the berserk pack. Some monsters just dont wanna go down!

I wonder if its possible to make that lift in time at the end, if you punch everything instead of shotgunning them. Easier said than done, of course.

There's a lot of luck in this one, not just at the beginning, that attempt I got quite good RNG with berserk pack, though, and a nice barrel explosion. It seems likely that making that lift in time is possible, but it seemed too difficult for non-TAS when I ran this map.

Cool thread, by the way, that Qaatar demo was definitely pretty insane, that route looked incredibly difficult to survive (too bad he's no longer recording :\). A bit unfortunate how he missed a box of rockets, though, that would have helped out a lot at the end.

Kotzugi said:

Hope your ride is (almost) over by the time you're reading this.

Well, I'm going back in few days (wee, another 8 hours), then in two weeks I'm coming back (wee, another 8 hours), so I'm considering at least one more essay if internet connection stays reliable.

Just a side note, it's a bit funny to talk about Hi Jango/Chewy as a debutante. He's widely considered as maybe the best (at least in America) and definitely the most exciting DM player in history. His map01 game is extremely dynamic and mercurial, almost a negation of the usual "chess game" stereotype. If I had to guess, I'd say he made the runs to tease ocelot and Sedlo, heh.

ngmvmt1 map15 max by ancalagon

Pretty steady BFG spamfest, with pretty few errors, (excepting a cyberdemon rocket that almost decapitated him from behind.) In the last minute though, he takes a cyberdemon rocket to the nose at the top of the pyramid, knocking him down to 22% health, then without wasting any time running back for health, returns to the summit to clean up the remaining monsters. With the help of the RNG goddess, he's saved from death by revenant missile that only deals 20 damage!! pretty close call :0