Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Quasar

Noctropolis

The second commercial game project I've been involved with will be releasing tomorrow: a special enhanced version of Noctropolis, a 1994 point-and-click adventure with FMV-acted characters:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/377070

I spent 4 months on this for NDS, porting this from pure x86 assembly for DOS - an interrupt-driven executable built with its own loader, its own DOS extender, and its own custom (and problematic) sound drivers, into a standard gameloop architecture in portable C++11 with an OpenGL renderer (special thanks to Kaiser for lending much Kex code to the cause).

If that kind of game interests you, give it a shot. It's pretty campy and doesn't take itself too seriously, but it has a nice setting, awesome artwork, and a seriously great soundtrack.

Mac and Linux builds should be out eventually, possibility of GOG later, and maybe multilingual support.

Congrats on the release. I've never heard of this game before, though I like adventure games and surreal environments, I'll have to give it a go soon.

Oh I remember this game from decades ago. Its a name that certainly stuck with me, even if I can't remember anything about the game. Kudos for being part of the project and I think the real thing you can hang your hat on that makes the project a notch in your belt is the technical enhancements:

Improved mouse support - You can rebind left and right click function to any mouse button; scroll wheel can be used to navigate in-game menus and comic books
Improved keyboard support - You can rebind virtual left and right click keys; page up and page down act the same as the mouse scrollwheel. Can use number keys to make choices during dialogue trees. Can adjust sensitivity of virtual pointer.
Support for modern displays with ability to toggle between fullscreen and windowed mode
SDL 2.0 Game controller support added, with rebinding and sensitivity controls supported.
Several game crashing bugs from the original code were fixed.
Dead-end situations in game play were removed.
Optional linear texture filtering.
Three-band equalized, filtered sound mixer.

Also Four Fat Chicks reviewed your game.

Reminds me of Myst :)

Idk if I have time to devote to another game now but I'll definitely be keeping a close eye on this. Maybe soon I can find some time for it.

Heh I can barely remember this from the "PC Master" magazines back in 1994. I think it was on the cover of one of the issues.