Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Doom Confessional Booth

I cannot keep it in much longer. The world must know: Whenever I see Inkie's username I subconsciously assume he's a brony, because "Inkie" is the fan nickname of one of the My Little Pony characters.

^ Haha

On second thought you seem awfully up-to-date on on the goings on of the my little pony fan base.

Not gonna lie, I know your avatar ain't what I see, but I still see lupin the 3rd at first glance every time I see your avatar. And "JudgeDreadd" as your name >.<
Funny little subconscious tricks on our minds, heh.

I actually find PSXDOOM to be the best version of DOOM out there, though the PC will always stand out. Plus I find the DOOM II Portion of PSXDOOM to be the best version of DOOM II and the most playable.

Archy said:

I don't know how to reach the non-secret exit of E3M6.

Hahaha for a while, me either ;p I swear that secret exit is SO much less secret than the "real" exit.

I haven't beaten Doom one or two yet.
Honestly, I haven't even started the first Doom yet and I am only on the sixth map of the first episode in Doom II.
I'm sorry I have forsaken you, John Romero.

Demonzzz said:

Honestly, I haven't even started the first Doom yet and I am only on the sixth map of the first episode in Doom II.

You a new Doomer? Well, Welcome to Doomworld then!

Fonze said:

Hahaha for a while, me either ;p I swear that secret exit is SO much less secret than the "real" exit.

I think it’s not as much secret as challanging. For non-jumpers at least.

I thought they fixed that in later versions.

Wall humping sounds like a Japanese outdoor activity for frustrated people.

Krazov said:

What about that being a thing for Sexually Frusturated 13 Year Olds?

GoatLord said:

Did wall-humping exist in gaming before Wolf?

Depends on how narrowly you define it, I suppose. Most earlier games didn't have a Doom-style "open/use" button, you would generally find secrets by A) attacking the wall with your weapon, B) just plain trying to walk through it to see if it's fake, or C) possibly using a "search" action to reveal if there's a door there. C is probably the closest to "wall-humping" as we know it, but I also can't think of a specific example of it that would predate Wolf3D, maybe early roguelikes?

Krazov said:

Does your knowledge about Japan come from fictional situations and the derp side of the internet ?

In truth it sounds like something western teens would do to film, and then upload to youtube. ;)

Playing difficult monster dense wads gives me a comforting feeling in my every day life. The smallest insignificant movement, bad judgment call, or miscalculation can result in certain death and having to start the map all over. This helps me appreciate how forgiving life is in that nice or convenient things are actually a dime a dozen (more so than how punishing some doom wads can be) and minor mistakes usually don't have any significant impact in the long term.

FireFish said:

Does your knowledge about Japan come from fictional situations and the derp side of the internet ?

Much more than the Internet, as I’ve been interested in Japan as a whole phenomena since the 90s, but far from actual experience. And a few years ago I started losing interest in this lovely country. Now I’m more into South Africa. Still fictional situations, though.

FireFish said:

In truth it sounds like something western teens would do to film, and then upload to youtube. ;)

Hello, my name is Johnny Knoxville, and this is Jackass.

Yesterday I played for the first time in Tyson mode. I was checking something under Doom Retro and I kind of by accident finish TNT’s map 01 with my fist only. Of course, berserk pack at the beginning helped. In map 02 they actually killed me in the first room. Bummer.

Demonzzz said:

You might want to do that in the opposite order. Once Doom II kicks off it is a lot harder than Doom (except episode 4).

I've never gotten past map 3 of Doom II, or map 1 or either final Doom wads. Also never found a secret exit.

I have beaten Doom II's final bos through idclev though.

I just never found Doom II to be as interesting as the original doom maps.

Wildmajora said:

I just never found Doom II to be as interesting as the original doom maps.

Oh, I also think Doom I is much better. But I appreciate that's sliiiightly more of a statement of opinion than "less hard". :-)

I haven't really played very many single player WADs :(
I'm changing that recently though ever since I got back into doom, but my main goal is beating Doom 2 on nightmare. I've been working on that for a few days now.

damerell said:

Oh, I also think Doom I is much better. But I appreciate that's sliiiightly more of a statement of opinion than "less hard". :-)

I don't think DOOM II attracts to me very well because there's too much shit brown textures being used, I think the only thing that keeps It Interesting for me Is the PSX portion of DOOM II.

Both Doom 1 and Doom 2 seem to go downhill at an alarming rate. Doom 2 eventually ends up with large walls of one texture... and ledges. while Doom 1 ends up boring because of the weird layouts.

FireFish said:

Both Doom 1 and Doom 2 seem to go downhill at an alarming rate. Doom 2 eventually ends up with large walls of one texture... and ledges. while Doom 1 ends up boring because of the weird layouts.

There's SOME weird layouts and stuff for DOOM 1, I didn't have no trouble with the levels at all, expect for that level In episode 2 with the teleporters and E1M9 (yeah, I get confused by E1M9 sometimes because of the layout).

^ a lot of people's favourite maps are guilty of both of those features at the same time :D think Eternal Doom!

yakfak said:

^ a lot of people's favourite maps are guilty of both of those features at the same time :D think Eternal Doom!

I just find DOOM 1 a little more memorable for me since I've always played It more than DOOM II. But those two levels always pissed me off.

E1M9 is such a small map, how is it confusing? Because it starts off with a non-linear feel? I agree on the teleport-heavy level; it got a bit confusing, but that was part of the charm of the level. That it was a puzzle and had to be figured out. Most game puzzles involve the player being unaware, noticing something's wrong, then confusion until they figure out the puzzle. Puzzles are naturally cryptic, that's why they are puzzles.

Fonze said:

E1M9 is such a small map, how is it confusing? Because it starts off with a non-linear feel? I agree on the teleport-heavy level; it got a bit confusing, but that was part of the charm of the level. That it was a puzzle and had to be figured out. Most game puzzles involve the player being unaware, noticing something's wrong, then confusion until they figure out the puzzle. Puzzles are naturally cryptic, that's why they are puzzles.

I just find E1M9 to be forgettable, I literally forget the blue door when I get the keycard and I have to go on a wild goose chase, It's probably because I always played that level when I was tired late at night, I strangely always do that. And Yea, that level did have some charm, but after a while It pissed me off, but It felt great solving It.