Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Aqfaq

TAS Challenge 1

BEHOLD, THE TAS CHALLENGE 1!

This is a doom2 map made as a TASing challenge.

The map has only two monsters: 1 zombieman and 1 mancubus.

The map number is 07.

The exit opens when the mancubus dies.

I could make 50 shootable switches, so that you would lose all ammo, but that is not necessary as the challenge is to do this as PACIFIST on UV.

The player who posts the first finished run wins 5 Aqfaq points.

(The last time I made a map was about 15 years ago, so hopefully it works...)

taschal1.zip

I made a few tests. Well. It's a nightmare. On -1 complevel more than 3 shots Mancubus can't stand. Not in UV-Pacifist style i can beat that map but....

Really? I know like nobody else that with TAS everything is possible (at least in theory), but this is ridiculous. It would be a miracle if zobieman survives the fight with an ordinary imp! I'll give it a try though.

No. If it even possible it'll take ages! 4 shots, 45 hp damage and zombieman dead as shit. The only way i see it is allowing the player to lay at least a few shots AKA being able to interrupt his attacks or allowing to enter the cage and block cubie's projectiles with your body.

GrumpyCat said:

should be not hard (for build run) to stun it with every zombieman attack.

Easier said than done. With four shots i managed to stun him only once. 15 hp shot, another 15 hp shot and zombieman successfully bites the dust. So, 15 hp shot, i awake mancubus, anoter 15 hp and he stunned. Then zombie does 3 or 6 hp shot, cubie starts aiming him, 12 hp damage with no stun and he's dead. Oh, and should i mention that zombieman is phucking sloooow!

Edit: Stun, no stun - 4 shots, that's all.

I just had an opposite idea - no pain state. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Initially, the manc is in "dormant" state. I exeperienced many times a monster hit in this state doesn't retaliate - not sure what does it depend on. So the idea is:
1.Don't let the manc see you
2.Let the trooper hit
3.NO PAIN STATE
4.Somehow make the manc stay asleep after every hit
5.Close to the end (low manc HP) this you can skip 1-4, as "everything wins"

vdgg said:

3.NO PAIN STATE
4.Somehow make the manc stay asleep after every hit

I tried - 4 shots.

another map idea that would be fun to watch is a vile at center and the player must kill it with his 50 pistol ammo, ofc there is no cover at all.

Ancalagon said:

another map idea that would be fun to watch is a vile at center and the player must kill it with his 50 pistol ammo, ofc there is no cover at all.

I can make the map later at night, but this one, while devilish and indeed potentially fun to watch, sounds very easy, like worth 1, max. 2 Aqfaq points...

Akse said:

I managed to knock-off 63 hp damage within 58 seconds.

So, we should expect a successful run to take about 10 minutes.

141 hp in 3 minutes. This is tedious...

Aqfaq said:

So, we should expect a successful run to take about 10 minutes.

10 boring minutes.

I tried to cheat a little with complevels and that what i got + i used -fast parameter to speed up this stupid process:
-1 = from 1 shot to 5 //If Mancubus noticed you - 2 shots maximum
0 = only two shots
1 = only two shots
2 = Hmmm... Something wrong here. I could reach 8 shots just by moving a little // keep testing
3 = 9 shots if move a little // i mean left - right left - right.
4 = 8 shots
Ok... Let's use unacceptable complevels
10 = 5 shots maximum
11 = 3 only
12 = 2 only
13 = 1 shot
20 = 3 shot..

Uhhh. You know what i gonna say? Bullshit this is all. I'm haven't used segments so just lucky i guess.
First - Infight is not depends from Pain Chance. Just got hit - give it back. It depends from random.
Second - Complevels doesn't help. // I hoped that i could find such complevel where not exist infight.
I bet it's some kind of masochism on which i don't want spend my time.

Azuruish said:

I bet it's some kind of masochism on which i don't want spend my time.

Indeed, it is, but everything can be manipulated with proper approach. :p

Done. I hope those 5 points worth it.
Aqfaq's TAS Challenge 1 in 11:19
Also Reality
Probably the most boring demo you've ever seen.

taschal1.zip

Thanks. Let's pray the next one won't be so tedious. Also ClumsyD should receive something too for a brilliant strategy. If he wasn't busy he could probably finish it faster than me.

If I get an interesting idea, I will make another map. Meanwhile, feel free to make your own TAS challenges. I look forward to what vdgg makes.

This was a good one. The type of "I don't TAS, so I don't have a clue what is possible". None of the TAS makers would think about it - too ridiculous.

Feel sorry for Akse, this is better than 99,99% of runs posted on YouTube, yet just a couple of people will recognize the achievement. The only thing I can do is to make it Doomworld News.

What is the idea/what lies behind CD's "brilliant strategy"?

The next map/challenge will be posted in 4 hours 45 minutes. As a map maker, I will not participate.

His idea was to catch the awakening shots with doomguy's body. I improved it by manipulating zombieman to miss.

Here's tiny attempt at Doom2 Map30 pacifist if you want to try it. I haven't tried it that much, so maybe that could hit Romero if timed better with the arch-vile attacks.

Edit: I have feeling there was one shot that hit a monster but atm too tired to check it :D

pa30-aat.zip

If anyone can deliver 1 hit, it proves that it can be done.

Same with revenant missiles. If you can get one to hit the brain, then it can be done.

By the way, what will happen if you just keep killing monsters indefinitely? Does the game crash when there are too many bodies? How long would that take? It would be a special kind of demo.

Aqfaq said:

By the way, what will happen if you just keep killing monsters indefinitely? Does the game crash when there are too many bodies? How long would that take? It would be a special kind of demo.

I once tested that by doing the silent trick on map 30, and having all the monsters spawn in and telefrag one another while I waited in the corner. I think I skipsec'd like 2 hours or so in PrBoom+ because waiting for longer would have been too tedious; I don't know if the demo would have crashed at any point (in vanilla it would probably crash once you reach the max demo size, dunno about before that), but the monster spawn between the IoS and the lift makes it really difficult to get a rocket into the hole since once there was a ton of monster bodies there, I would just get intercept overflows any time I attempted to shoot a rocket.

why couldn't you simply record a demo with pr-boom and play it back with doom2.exe? this way demo limitations should not be a problem...
apart from that I am curious if anybody would also wait a few hours in doom2.exe only to see the game crashing and confirm it that way :).
In a pwad just for the purpose to have a huge body count it should be doable much faster (e. g. by inducing infight between 1000000 of monsters).