Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Patrol1985

Why isn't "No Rest for the Living" included in compet-n categories?

This got me thinking - all the other official WADs which were released on PC have their respective categories. Why isn't NRftL included in the database? Is it because it runs on updated Doom port? Is it even possible to record demos with the BFG edition?

Patrol1985 said:

Why isn't NRftL included in the database? Is it because it runs on updated Doom port? Is it even possible to record demos with the BFG edition?

Yes, and No*.

* Actually the BFG edition's codebase has a demo recording functionality, but it's virtually impossible to access it since there's no way to pass command-line arguments to the underlying Doom engine. In addition its demo recording format is slightly different than vanilla v1.9's one.

No reason one couldn't settle on running it with Doom-Plus or PrBoom-Plus as the standard but maybe they don't "do" that. Whatever.

Compet-N is clinically dead. No one will be adding anything to the CN wadlist. One of the things that killed it was wadlist bloat, btw. It ended with more wads than players, so to say.

The new Compet-N trimmed marginal categories and added Scythe to the wadlist recently, so your hope lies with it. However I don't see why NRFTL should take precedence over more popular wads not included yet just because one needs to buy a particularly shitty Doom reedition to obtain it. Its general demo activity leaves me rather listless. You still need to use either vanilla or a custom fork of Choco in CN.hr, so maybe NRTFL is out of luck anyways.

Even if you were to use PrBoom+, it wouldn't work by default due to the mapslots being different, so the secret exit wouldn't work unless the mapslots changed, essentially meaning no possibility for UV-Max full run. In any case, even the addition of Scythe to Compet-N didn't trigger any new demo activity, so it seems rather unlikely that nerve would get many demos even if it were added.

Actually vanilla (or Chocolate Doom) is not suitable, why Henning and Archy used it - no idea. MAP01 doesn't crash but has rendering errors.

Some maps have the limits too high.

I tried Doom2+ which was closest to vanilla at that time.

And then, you couldn't record movies (demos for the entire WAD) if I remember.

dew said:

You still need to use either vanilla or a custom fork of Choco in CN.hr, so maybe NRTFL is out of luck anyways.

Considering Doom-Plus is a binary hack which only increases renderer limits and has no known effects on gamesim, maybe that at least should be on the list. It's arguably more accurate than Choco if run on a real DOS machine.

Yeah maybe, but the only reason CN.hr expanded to using its own port was to add metadata to the demo format in order to combat cheating and tweak in some minor speedrunning elements like an ingame timer or vanilla-like fast start emulation.

I bet Doom-Plus is harmless and I rather dislike the utter purism of CN personally, but I can also appreciate the advantages of it. The rules are fairly short and clear (to a point), which would get impossible to maintain once you open the Pandora's box of source ports. Also there's a really strong sense of legacy, plus no one wants ocelot to pop out of nowhere and call everyone a stinking cheater, heh.

I see no reason to add NRFTL to C-N, especially considering that it's not truly vanilla compatible. Making an excepting for it would just cause additional headache and complication. Not to mention the problems the secret map causes, and the fact that there's multiple NRFTL wads out there from different sources (e.g. Xbox 360 version isn't identical to BFG-PC version), though I'm 99% sure all versions are 100% demo compatible with each other so its differences shouldn't matter, but right there there's added complication in defining the rules.
I think it was a mistake adding Scythe. C-N might have had too many wads as it was, though out of all the wads to add, Scythe did make the most sense.