Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
999cop

Unreal Engine 4 seems better than idtech 6...

What kind of bathroom has two toilets next to each other? Take shits with the wife? Yah I am sure she would love that! I wouldn't buy that condo!

EDIT: In all seriousness, yes it is very realistic looking but how do the physics add up? They got the lighting down it seems.

Probably not a fair comparison, it being a controlled graphical showcase in a small environment running on PC hardware. Doom 4 is a quickly made cross-platform title with a troubled dev cycle and the potential for a lot of weird shit. Id Tech 6 looks like a pretty competent engine, but I doubt it's on the same level as Fox or Luminous Studio.

UE4 looks fantastic, though seeing a tech demo usually will differ from seeing live game play footage. I remember seeing tech demos for some of Cryteks older engines and as amazing as they were it was a bit different once you got actual gameplay. That being said new Unreal Tournament (in its current form) looks solid. Going to reserve final judgement on Id tech 6 once we start seeing new stuff but thus far it too looks pretty solid.

Wow, materials are horrible in this one. Couldn't you pick a video with not so awful materials?

This one is much better, but not perfect:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFharClJS5Q

UE4 material editor is amazing. One of the best features in the engine. Sadly, tools to create levels are far from being as comfortable as Radiant. Splines are broken, there's not enough of C++ Documentation and many other little annoying bugs.

Yeah, that's definitely not a fair comparison.
One is designed to imitate a real life apartment in a pretty static context and does a somewhat good job at it. It's still way too clinical, but the physically based rendering lends a hand to make it look nice.

The other is designed to be a more or less fantastical foundry/hell area - pretty dynamic with fastpaced movement, lights spawning and dying, shadows moving all over the place.

If you confine Idtech6 to a small area like this, turn up the media resolution, cut out much of the dynamic context I'm sure you can make something that looks at least as "good".

I think a more fair comparison would be the trailers from this year's E3. Here's a playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmVQeK5V_zE&list=PLraFbwCoisJCBgW66JfX_UiZpqWWueaDs

Now, I didn't watch all 139 tailers, but I checked out a few. Doom is #25. I really only saw a few examples (such as the new Metal Gear, Far Cry and Final Fantasy games) that seemed to pushing noticeably beyond Doom's detail. Most of the rest looked either on par or below. I would say Doom is going to be one of the better/unique looking games this year.

Different engines aim for different things, id Tech 6 aims to be, according to id themselves, the best looking engine running in 60fps and 1080p.

This might just be my opinion but I think graphics are easier to forgive at smoother frame rates, I always felt Mortal Kombat X got a lot uglier in the cutscenes and fatalities which for some reason are in 30FPS while the fights are in 60.

If anything I'm tired of games always being 30FP because the developers are trying too hard to make the prettiest game ever so I think id Software has set a good goal and yet the game still looks above average, I must say.

I'm tired of 30FPS. I'm playing MGSV and it looks quite pretty, I must way.

I know I'm gonna get crucified for saying this, but I really don't like the way the new Unreal Engine looks.
I don't know how to put it...
It's like it's gotten so realistic at this point that it's just really bland and dead looking.
While IdTech 666 might not be as cutting edge as UE4, I really love the way it looks.
It looks really distinct, and like it has life and character.

The Civ said:

I know I'm gonna get crucified for saying this, but I really don't like the way the new Unreal Engine looks.
I don't know how to put it...
It's like it's gotten so realistic at this point that it's just really bland and dead looking.
While IdTech 666 might not be as cutting edge as UE4, I really love the way it looks.
It looks really distinct, and like it has life and character.

Engine=/=Art style

If they do something creative with this, that'll be awesome. Cool showcase.

Obviously I'm far more excited for Doom4, the graphics are still pretty damn sweet and I dig the art style a lot.

Sure it was good looking, but I wouldn't base my opinion of a video game engine off a single engine showcase. It's like comparing the performance of two different cars based on their commercials. Without seeing any hard data, you really don't have much to go on. Put Idtech 6 and Unreal Engine 4 in a side by side stress test and we will know what the better engine is.

It wouldn't be a big surprise if Unreal Engine 4 is more impressive. Epic became one of the leading engine developers in the 2000s, with focus on licensing their engines to other game developers, while id Software is a small studio and they design their engines specifically for their own games.

Tetzlaff said:

It wouldn't be a big surprise if Unreal Engine 4 is more impressive. Epic became one of the leading engine developers in the 2000s, with focus on licensing their engines to other game developers, while id Software is a small studio and they design their engines specifically for their own games.

id also tried to license their tech to other game developers too?

But so far they havent been able to execute properly in terms of growing the licensing business

Like ID would have more licenses. Its just that all their licenses
are all psycho. Like Stroggs, Alice in Wonderland, some guy who ice's
5000 Nazis bear handed (with no help).
It isn't that crazy:

1) It likes heavy metal

2) Business points instead of profits

3) Chilled Merlot and White wine spritzer, not whatever kind of beer those damn kids left.

Like filing your visa while you sip a 'much frutier sampling'! ? Nuts: With hints of nuts and a fine swiss cheese:

Eat a fancy cheese log, take a dump two rooms away, then eat some fancy crackers. Do this while you discuss who is politically popular. Like, "Didn't Raven author that hit"? People want a new engine too.

_Maybe_ get a tattoo of the Air Force logo on your butt.

Hmmm... UE4 was designed for multipurpose licensing use, thus fundamentally requiring more featuresets. Not any specific game.

Id tech 6, however, was designed for a single game, that like id tech 5, will probably be used for a few internal IP projects that are retrofitted to support it. It's meant to exploit the engine requirements for primarly a single style and design from the start... any licensing outside of bethesda is minimal and secondary.

You see, the problem with UE4, much like it's predecessors and other engine meant for mass licensing is if you build a game on it, you get a ultra wide variety of things to tinker with.... however, maybe things you didn't need or aren't the exact things, if they are there at all. You also get "engine exhaustion".... where every game using that engine starts to look and feel the same, and you can readily point out that "yep, that's the unreal engine". Not to mention you're making a console-like market out of engine technology... keeping dev teams from progressing to build a newer specific engine because they can just purchase one. So like dated console hardware, that's why it's still common to see games using a now legacy ue3 or ue2 even today. There are more perks however.. wider cross system compatibility, support, etc.

it's riskier and more costly to build a engine from scratch, and takes more time, but you'll have something that meets your exact needs rather than generalized templates, and it will "feel" and stand out as different, with usually more theme-specific features & scripts that aren't limited to licensing old engine tech. Basically exactly what you want vs. a generalization or close match.

I've played many things on UE4, and currently playing the Closed Alpha. They each have their own agenda and both are great & fresh, though I doubt DOOM would have felt at home on UE4 as it does on id's own in house engine, where they can have it do specifically the things they want it to do.

GoatLord said:

Damn, those are some really good points.

There's also something else I've noticed about the Unreal Engine releases.... all the demo's.

Yes, they are impressive. But they are exactly that... tech demo's, and generally they require one hell of a machine to run them (recent examples would be the kite demo and the sci-fi shooter one for UE4). Same thing goes for tech demo's from NVidia and AMD... they are made for a single instance to showcase different highlights of that engine.

Trying to build a game that everyone can run utilizing all those highlights and options, heh... that's a different story. That's why when you see these Nvidia or UE tech demo's, that looks so gorgeous that some may confuse as being prerendered, you say "well, why don't the games ever look like that?". Well, there's much more to a game (and getting that game to run cross-platform) than there is to just a hardware or instance-specific demo. You have to spread out engine resources, and turn things down a bit.

I remember when the first Crysis came out, and Crytek swore up and down that the game would be a dream of engine capability, looking better than even the best tech demo's.

IT DID.... and a unfortunate cost that even the highest end of machines (8800 GTX grade) could barely run it at a playable framerate. In fact, machines still struggled over the next couple of years to run it smoothly at it's fullest potential. Anything less than top end, and you were better off not even bothering with it.

id Software isn't in the licensing business any more. When ZeniMax bought the company the very first proclamation was that anything made on id Tech 5 or later would only be allowed to come from Bethesda as publisher, and that means it is limited to ZeniMax-owned subsidiaries. And so far, AFAIK, that's been exactly the case.

For whatever it's worth they already killed their role in that market before the buy-out though. The id Tech 4 engine had the fewest external licensees of any id Tech, which was a stark contrast after the relatively large success of id Tech 3. It didn't offer what people were looking for to build more open-world games with stuff like actual sunlight or outdoor areas in them; it was tailored too specifically to the corridor horror shooter game it was designed for.