Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FireFish

Quality wads with a 90's or Iwad feel to them ?

Normaly i do not play Pwads even though i map myself, but the following Three wads got me interested again ;

Fava Beans  - Doom Episode 1 re-made with clear hints to the originals.
               A bit to many distant doors opening without the player knowing it.

Dante 2.1    - Dante 2.5 is on idgames, the 2.1 came from another server.
               At first glance a great Doom 2 surreal piece of environment.

Back to saturn X - A lot more modern. While having a realy great detailed style,
                   but it is a bit to punishing with its traps and mobs.
Do you know about some great high Quality wads with an 90's or Iwad Feel to them like the ones being mentioned (preferably the first two) ?

I assume you mean Fava Beans, right?

Off the top of my head, Doom the Way Id Did is your best bet for an IWAD-style mapset.

Megamur said:

I assume you mean Fava Beans, right?

Off the top of my head, Doom the Way Id Did is your best bet for an IWAD-style mapset.

Yes it was meant to be Fava Beans. The last time i partially played DTWID it kind of left a realy bad impression with me after a few maps, so i closed Doom and literraly deleted the Pwad... but thanks for the suggestion.

Sometimes it feels as if DoomWorld users had a mental meltdown somewhere between 2014 and 2015... this is absolutely not the informative, fun, platform i joined in 2013.

Yes, the amazing fact that i deleted the Pwad after it failed to interest me is such a world stopping occurance that you all cant begin to grasp it... Do not even try to understand the extreme and pro active act of writing a truthfull statement about an action on a forum, you cant. This world has abandoned you all.

I'd try DTWID e2 and 3, personally I'm not too enamored with E1 myself.

If you'd rather not, try The Ultimate NMD. 's pretty good.

Marcaek said:

I'd try DTWID e2 and 3, personally I'm not too enamored with E1 myself.

If you'd rather not, try The Ultimate NMD. 's pretty good.

The Ultimate Needs More Detail (The Ultimate NMD) sounds interesting, thank you for mentioning it. I guess i will just download DTWID (again) and The Ultimate NMD to play them somewhere along the line.

edit ;
Also downloaded the map which was suggested by Joepallai.

FireFish said:

Sometimes it feels as if DoomWorld users had a mental meltdown somewhere between 2014 and 2015... this is absolutely not the informative, fun, platform i joined in 2013.

Yes, the amazing fact that i deleted the Pwad after it failed to interest me is such a world stopping occurance that you all cant begin to grasp it... Do not even try to understand the extreme and pro active act of writing a truthfull statement about an action on a forum, you cant. This world has abandoned you all.

You're the one who made a big deal out of deleting it in the first place. Grow up.

I never made a big deal out of it, i just mentioned it which is a rather huge difference. And i would not write "grow up" if all you do is quote a somewhat snide and somewhat sarcastic remark which you do not seem to understand, to then respond with a realy small answer in an attempt to look better or attempt to stir the pot. (which only works on kids and fools.)

Can a mod close this thread, or hell it.. or has Doomworld become nothing but a playground for trolls and the quik attack based pleasure ?

Obsidian said:

Stop living up to your custom title, geez.

It is because of that title i cant post anything at all without triggering some idiot focusing on that title, who will then turn everything i write into something it is not... Just because they read the title. Its just plain demented.

Saying you "literally" deleted it is pretty funny because its such unnecessary fluff to a simple task. Combined with the spelling error: "literraly" makes it something really fun to make fun of.

As for quality wads with IWAD feel, I'd recommend Memento Mori 1/2 and Requiem, as well as Scythe.

Bedlam is an E3 episode which some say has an IWAD kind of feel

I'm kinda working on a 90s style megawad called Visions of Hell. There was a link to the E1 & E2 beta in the project thread but I think I have literraly deleted it.

I wouldn't describe BTSX as being 90s or IWAD style though, far from it, so I'm not sure if they are what you're really looking for.

purist said:

I'm kinda working on a 90s style megawad called Visions of Hell. There was a link to the E1 & E2 beta in the project thread but I think I have literraly deleted it.

So that's why I couldn't find a link despite looking literraly for at least 5 minutes.

To the topic: dbimpact is the best e1 replacement of literraly all times with a definite 90's feel to it despite being very modern and challenging in most respects.

Cyberdemon531 said:

Saying you "literally" deleted it is pretty funny because its such unnecessary fluff to a simple task. Combined with the spelling error: "literraly" makes it something really fun to make fun of.

Yeah you are right. I wrote that at 5 in the morning without sleep. And the spelling- checker is malfunctioning. (lol)

scifista42 said:

Remain1 is an excellent IWAD-styled Doom 2 remake by Eternal.

This is a nice wad containing a lot of Iwad references and it has a great feel to it. Also, it has a rather sudden rise in difficulty together with a lot of monster closset traps, so i took a break during map 10. it was kind of a suprise to see the swarms of monsters along the way.

BF_THUD is a little easy with the generous powerups and few monsters but it smells a lot like Doom 2 to me than most other wads do.

Perditions Gate and Icarus Alien Vanguard (being played in DW Megawad Club now) are also grey alternatives to Evilution if you're into that.

These left (or are leaving) a rather good impression.

- Fava Beans.   Iwad style E1 replacement with somewhat the same iwad difficulty. Confusing distant doors.
 - Remain 1.      Iwad style 11 maps. Difficulty Peak and ammo problems. Monster swarms. Chaingunner Traps.
 - Dante25.       Or Dante 2.1. Well made old-school surrealism. possible to exit the map before seeing half of it.
 - BTSX             modern non Iwad style. Amazing graphical appearance. Difficult. Took a break from it.
A listing of the advised wads, somewhat according to interest. Thanks for sharing the info.
 - Visions of Hell (not yet released)
 - PhobosDeimos Anomaly
 - 50 monsters
 - Nicolas Monti Mapsets 
 - Doom 2 reloaded
 - reverie 
 - Perdition's Gate 
 - Hell to Pay   
 - Scythe
 - Requiem
 - Memento Mori 1/2 
 - Icarus Alien Vanguard
 - SinSeven  
 - helinhel
 - BF_THUD
 - pe3_inci
Double impact seems to be a bit to hectic for my taste. Great video though.

Double Impact is overrated. Clear out all the hitscanners getting cheap shots on you, take a few steps, get stuck in a miniature arena with dozens of monsters, clear the arena and exit, repeat over and over.

I love Icarus, though.

FireFish said:

A listing of the advised wads, somewhat according to interest. Thanks for sharing the info.

I would add Interception (vanilla compatible), I really like this megawad and I am currently in E3 of it, just try not to mind the title screen.

I'll also go digging through my "Good Wads" folder and see what I can dig up for you.

EDIT: Inferno (vanilla compatible(?)) for Ultimate Doom E3 is great.