Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
snapshot

DOOM 4's guy .

An idea i recently had, what if we won't be able to see DOOMGUY's look or face (Like Classic Doom but Not really since we saw his face in Mugshots) .

DMGUYDZ64 said:

And idea i recently had, what if we won't be able to see DOOMGUY's look or face (Like Classic Doom but Not really since we saw his face in Mugshots) .

I'd be 100% cool with this. I always think of Doomguy as classic doomguy, so it was weird to see doom 3 guy and doom resurrection of evil guy for me. I wouldn't mind him having a voice though. If Doom 4's story has as much of a presence as Wolf TNO's story did then you could just make sure he's always wearing the helmet and maybe have a reveal at the end like with Samus or something.

PsychoGoatee said:

He'd be kind of like Judge Dredd then I guess? Works for me.

Or the HALOguy :D

just joking..

Doomguy is supposed to you. So the blond white dude won't quite work in gaming today.

I'd prefer the Judge Dredd approach, most certainly. Anonymity FTW!

Weary from a long day of sawing off imps' heads and kicking them into vats of boiling molten steel, the Doomguy takes a moment's break in a safe looking corner of the vast UAC Argent facility. His advanced exoskeleton's computer system notifies him that the surrounding environment is status "green," with temperature, pressure, and oxygen levels within tolerability, if not necessarily within the range of best comfort. He slowly pulls off his helmet, sodden with blood and decayed giblets, to reveal another helmet.

Quasar said:

He slowly pulls off his helmet, sodden with blood and decayed giblets, to reveal another helmet.

Lol .

Technician said:

I'd actually prefer him faceless. Makes him more of an avatar.

Likewise.

I always preferred the helmet HUD over the status bar, because it really drives home the point of you being the space marine, not just playing as one. Even using a status bar instead, adding the face was a mistake IMO. I'm pleased to see that Doom 4 appears to be going in that direction.

Quasar said:

He slowly pulls off his helmet, sodden with blood and decayed giblets, to reveal another helmet.

I now have this mental image of there being nothing but helmets all the way down.

Gzegzolka said:

I would like to see classic Doom guy head under that helmet, just like they do with the new order.

Dah a Healthbar is enough , To make it look more like and advanced Helmet that indicates Health and Status of Armor , Making it feel like if you were wearing the Helmet for real .

DMGUYDZ64 said:

Dah a Healthbar is enough , To make it look more like and advanced Helmet that indicates Health and Status of Armor , Making it feel like if you were wearing the Helmet for real .

I think he means that Doomguy's face (if it's ever shown) should look like an updated and more realistic version of the original Doomguy's face like Wolfenstein did with B.J. Wolf TNO didn't even have B.J's face on the screen, unless there was a mod for that or something.

Sorry if I`m off topic but I always wanted to know if the Doom 3 guy was the same guy as Doom 1 & 2 ?

royaldj said:

Sorry if I`m off topic but I always wanted to know if the Doom 3 guy was the same guy as Doom 1 & 2 ?

No. Doom 3 is basically a reboot of the series and is unrelated to Doom 1 & 2.

What I would find fundamental is that he doesn't talk. The less personality the better. By God if I start hearing about Doomguy's emotions, thoughts and memories I'm going to make him hump a Mancubus. Fortunately no Doom I know of has done this.

Some people imagine him as a dim witted brute (the original version), I prefer to think of him as a veteran, seen it all no time for shit sort of mute. That one tough guy often in t.v. series and movies we all love.

Thinking about Doom 3's Doomguy... he sorta looks like an office worker or just an officer who hasn't gotten his hands dirty since basic training.

Chezza said:

Thinking about Doom 3's Doomguy... he sorta looks like an office worker or just an officer who hasn't gotten his hands dirty since basic training.

He's a Corporal, so maybe he saw some action before being transferred to Mars. And i know this goes in the confessional booth, but i like more the D3 guy because the tough psyche he has, even hell failed to possess him (that bathroom mirror scene). The same goes for the ROE guy, i really like his anti-hero attitude.

Megamur said:

No. Doom 3 is basically a reboot of the series and is unrelated to Doom 1 & 2.

My interpretation is that Doom 3 is actually a prequel to Doom 2 and Doom 1 guy was not the same marine.

Chezza said:

What I would find fundamental is that he doesn't talk. The less personality the better. By God if I start hearing about Doomguy's emotions, thoughts and memories I'm going to make him hump a Mancubus. Fortunately no Doom I know of has done this.

He talks a bit in Doom II RPG, but it's nothing substantial.

I'm kind of hoping he won't talk, either. All of BJ's dreary internal monologues in Wolfenstein: TNO started to wear on me quickly, and I despise Brutal Doom's characterization of DoomGuy so much that I always go out of my way to delete all his dialogue sound files with every new release.

Sodaholic said:

My interpretation is that Doom 3 is actually a prequel to Doom 2 and Doom 1 guy was not the same marine.

I'm not really sure how you arrived at that conclusion, but either way, the result is the same: the Doom 3 DoomGuy is not the Doom 1 DoomGuy.

Megamur said:

I'm not really sure how you arrived at that conclusion, but either way, the result is the same: the Doom 3 DoomGuy is not the Doom 1 DoomGuy.

Doom 2's manual backstory fits quite well with Doom 3 and directly conflicts with Doom 1. It states that the marine was stationed on Mars the entire time as an invasion took place there and that he was the only survivor.

Of course, that's a pretty loose connection. I'd suspect that he was silienced by the UAC by some means (RoE stating no surivors) and/or developed severe PTSD and would thus be unfit to continue fighting once shit hit the fan on Earth.

Sodaholic said:

Of course, that's a pretty loose connection. I'd suspect that he was silienced by the UAC by some means (RoE stating no surivors) and/or developed severe PTSD and would thus be unfit to continue fighting once shit hit the fan on Earth.

Actually RoE confirmed that Doom 3 guy was the only survivor, meaning all of those NPCs he met eventually died.

Clonehunter said:

Actually RoE confirmed that Doom 3 guy was the only survivor, meaning all of those NPCs he met eventually died.

Necessary since it's possible for the player to voluntarily kill all of them if they choose.

In a way, leaving the marine's identity ambiguous can be a good thing because it's like you're the one being the marine. I think that's what ID said they wanted to do initially, to put you in the marine's shoes which is why they didn't give him a name.

Exactly. And since the games didn't have much of a story to begin with, this basically let you focus purely on the atmosphere, rather than being bogged down with dialogue.