Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LordTrasher

UT fans get excited over jDOOM

Some people of most major communities, specific game-orientated or not, really like Doom and/or its source ports very much.

I fail to see why this should be earth-shattering news.

I was testing out the new JDoom a week ago; however, unfortunately it didn't work at all on my comp. The last version worked though :(

hey, michelle branch's sig, cool :D

I have been following Jdoom since the first version... I got in contact with Sky Jake and told him to add glowing water, fix the aiming to align with the crosshair, and countless other little bugs. It has grown really big over time. The first few versions of Jdoom were so different from the newest versions. There was nothing too it really except for the option to use OpenGL and Direct3d. now it has everything on it.

The /er2 said:

now it has everything on it.

Hahahaha, except GOOD MODELS. The models blow.

bigbadgangsta said:

thats a function of the people who model it, not the port.

i play jdoom without models :)

bigbadgangsta said:

Have you even seen the newest models or are you using the old models from a year ago? There is a guy named Cheb that has been updating the models for Jdoom only. Here are a few screenshots of what he has done. Now don't tell me these blow!

This is just a sample of what he has done! I just quickly took these in a few seconds of running around.

The pistol you see there was done by Abbs, who is also updating the models.

bigbadgangsta said:

Actually they rock. Why not open yer eyes and take a look at the non beta models - they have been out for over 6 months.

bigbadgangsta said:

That site is crashing my IE. URL me directly to the FTP instead.

There are too many links to give you... There are like 10 different downloads you would have to make. I can send it to you if you want. Do you have AIM or ICQ? It would be much easier for me to give you a zip file that contains all of the newest models together...

It's 2:30 a.m. here right now, so if you want me to send it to you I'll do it tomarrow.

From the UT forum thread:
"when reading the instruction on the site, I gotta move over an IWAD file, do something in DOS, etcetc. too much."

LOL.

The /er2 said:

There are too many links to give you... There are like 10 different downloads you would have to make. I can send it to you if you want. Do you have AIM or ICQ? It would be much easier for me to give you a zip file that contains all of the newest models together...

It's 2:30 a.m. here right now, so if you want me to send it to you I'll do it tomarrow.

Yes I have AIM. BigBadGangsta150

I don't mean to piss on the parade, but those screenshots are hideous. It's like a doom caricature. Many, many more surfaces needed.

That just isn't Doom.

pritch said:

I don't mean to piss on the parade, but those screenshots are hideous. It's like a doom caricature. Many, many more surfaces needed.

That just isn't Doom.

Couldn't agree more. It's too...rounded!?

pritch said:

That just isn't Doom.

I can't believe how critical you guys are. Is this "disagree with the /er" day? I feel like people arent agreeing with me just because I only have 30 posts. I have been around the Doom community as long as you guys, I just haven't been to these forums before.

You guys are totally unwilling to try anything new. 30 years from now you will probably be playing Zdoom still and flaming new users on the Doom World Forum. The only reason I like Doom still is because people are still updating it and making new things for it. Why do you guys like it still? Do you ever play Doom anymore, or do you just sit here and flame people on the Forums all day? Maybe you should try something different for a change!

I can't wait for the response I hear next...

Shaviro said:

Couldn't agree more. It's too...rounded!?

Isn't a Lost Soul suppposed to be "Rounded"?? What do you want it to be... a square?

The /er2 said:

"Welcome to the losers forum"?

/er2: you are being paranoid. You come in here and 'attack' the most popular port. Expect some heavy arguments. We are entitled to our opinions. Please do not accuse us of 'not trying something new'. Zdoom is new. I don't like the JDOOM models because they don't have the same shape as the sprites. (The Lost Soul looks like a skull...It doesn't in that screenie.) Please drop the paranoia so we can have a normal discussion. :)

Each to their own. Some people like models, some people prefer the original sprites. Just remember everyone is entitled to their view and personal preference.

Is this "disagree with the /er" day?

I'd say it's the other way around: "/er disagrees with everyone day".

Seriously though, why does anyone care what port anyone else uses.
Both ports are good; they have upsides and downsides. ZDoom has good
playability and is faithful to the original doom, while JDoom, though
not for the Doom purist, takes the technology to the next level. Some
might say that that technology doesn't belong in Doom, and I think
they're right. You, might not. That's fine, just don't get all
religious about it.

Isn't this the third thread you've turned into a jDoom vs. ZDoom
war?

fraggle said:

Each to their own. Some people like models, some people prefer the original sprites. Just remember everyone is entitled to their view and personal preference.

/me buys fraggle a beer. Well said.

I'm not to crazy about the models used in jdoom either. pinky looks like a thalidamide kid. I do think the former humans with various faces is pretty cool though. but either way I'm not to into eyecandy.

I hate that you need a goddamned manual to get the shit downloaded. I wanted to get it a few weeks ago and there's like 147 different model packs, I've said it before I'll say it again:

DOWNLOAD PAGE:

DOWNLOAD JDOOM HERE --->

DOWNLOAD MODELS HERE --->

Would that be so hard? Two links, then happiness?

The /er2 said:

I can't believe how critical you guys are. Is this "disagree with the /er" day? I feel like people arent agreeing with me just because I only have 30 posts. I have been around the Doom community as long as you guys, I just haven't been to these forums before.

You guys are totally unwilling to try anything new. 30 years from now you will probably be playing Zdoom still and flaming new users on the Doom World Forum. The only reason I like Doom still is because people are still updating it and making new things for it. Why do you guys like it still? Do you ever play Doom anymore, or do you just sit here and flame people on the Forums all day? Maybe you should try something different for a change!

Heh, dude, it's not personal, I just don't like them. And yes I will be playing ZDoom until something better comes along.

Unlike you I love Doom so much I don't want it turned into something too far removed from doom.exe. Why do I still like it? Oh, I dunno, maybe because it's FUCKING GOOD and stands the test of time?

If you don't like that I suggest you go here.

pritch said:

Heh, dude, it's not personal, I just don't like them. And yes I will be playing ZDoom until something better comes along.

Unlike you I love Doom so much I don't want it turned into something too far removed from doom.exe. Why do I still like it? Oh, I dunno, maybe because it's FUCKING GOOD and stands the test of time?

If you don't like that I suggest you go here.

At least you guys are nice about it... But I have one little thing to say. Jdoom isn't too far off from the old Doom. That's why I like it. I HATE conversions and stuff that changes all the monsters and stuff to completely different things. I like Jdoom because it just takes the old stuff and makes it better looking (in my opinion). There are a few web pages that are changing all the textures in Doom2 to be new 32 bit textures. That is one thing I am against. I think that would change TOO much. OpenGL is good to make the old textures look better, but they are changing the old textures completely. So don't get me wrong, I'm all for the original art, I just like the sprites to be 3d models instead :)
It's just that after seing the new graphics in Jdoom, I just can't get myself to go back to aything older looking. But if they go TOO far (For example, change all the sounds, textures, etc.) then I won't like it anymore.
This is not a argument, just my opinion :)

The /er2 said:

Jdoom isn't too far off from the old Doom. That's why I like it. I HATE conversions and stuff that changes all the monsters and stuff to completely different things. I like Jdoom because it just takes the old stuff and makes it better looking (in my opinion). There are a few web pages that are changing all the textures in Doom2 to be new 32 bit textures. That is one thing I am against. I think that would change TOO much. OpenGL is good to make the old textures look better, but they are changing the old textures completely. So don't get me wrong, I'm all for the original art, I just like the sprites to be 3d models instead :)
It's just that after seing the new graphics in Jdoom, I just can't get myself to go back to aything older looking.

The weapon models in JDooM by ABBS or whatever look NOTHING like the DooM weapons. The doom pistol is a fucking revolver, that changes it to some sort of 9mm. NONE of the weapons look like they should except the fist and chainsaw. Is that what you call looking like DooM? What is wrong with 32 bit textures? OMG A TECHNOLOGICAL ADVANCEMENT, GOD FORBID. When the JDooM models quit sucking, I'll actually give a fuck about JDooM. Plus, JDooM is buggy as fuck. When somebody GOOD at modelling comes along and does the models the RIGHT way and makes them look better than they do now. And I don't mean a little improvement, me (and I think everyone else) wants the models to be better. The fucking pistol in the "old" models looked me a beat up piece of meat. The fist sucks it hard and just looks like the DooM guy is thrusting his penis forward and something happened to the head and it got all swollen up. Don't get me started on the DBS because I'm not sure the forum software can handle a huge rant like that. The fucking chaingun is so Goddamned gray it isn't funny. The BFG looks so molested it just isn't right. Let me tell you, the enemies models (aside from the Cacodemon, the Pain Elemental and the Lost Soul) blow hardcore XXX hentai college girl style cock. They're horribly shitty.

Why do you hate conversions that change everything? What do you think has kept DooM alive for so long other than the release of the source code? TCs! If all the mods released were just new level sets do you think people would have moved on by now. Maybe so. The total conversions that change everything help DooM stay alive and fresh. DooM can now be whatever you want it to be, point in case from everything like Aliens TC to DooMKart.

Yes yes, OpenGL may improve the texture graphics but while we're updating the sprites to MD2 models why not make the textures 32? Like it would be changing anything major. Jeez, you totally contridict yourself. "Gee, I don't want 32 bit textures but I really really love the 3D MD2 models of the DooM sprites!". And on the subject of sounds, haven't you noticed that JDooM DOES fuck with the sounds, like the pitch and treble?

But if they go TOO far (For example, change all the sounds, textures, etc.) then I won't like it anymore.
This is not a argument, just my opinion :)

What do you think models are? REPLACEMENTS, yet you blabber that you don't like it when things in DooM are replaced. God.

bigbadgangsta said:

The weapon models in JDooM by ABBS or whatever look NOTHING like the DooM weapons. The doom pistol is a fucking revolver, that changes it to some sort of 9mm. NONE of the weapons look like they should except the fist and chainsaw. Is that what you call looking like DooM? What is wrong with 32 bit textures? OMG A TECHNOLOGICAL ADVANCEMENT, GOD FORBID. When the JDooM models quit sucking, I'll actually give a fuck about JDooM. Plus, JDooM is buggy as fuck. When somebody GOOD at modelling comes along and does the models the RIGHT way and makes them look better than they do now. And I don't mean a little improvement, me (and I think everyone else) wants the models to be better. The fucking pistol in the "old" models looked me a beat up piece of meat. The fist sucks it hard and just looks like the DooM guy is thrusting his penis forward and something happened to the head and it got all swollen up. Don't get me started on the DBS because I'm not sure the forum software can handle a huge rant like that. The fucking chaingun is so Goddamned gray it isn't funny. The BFG looks so molested it just isn't right. Let me tell you, the enemies models (aside from the Cacodemon, the Pain Elemental and the Lost Soul) blow hardcore XXX hentai college girl style cock. They're horribly shitty.

Why do you hate conversions that change everything? What do you think has kept DooM alive for so long other than the release of the source code? TCs! If all the mods released were just new level sets do you think people would have moved on by now. Maybe so. The total conversions that change everything help DooM stay alive and fresh. DooM can now be whatever you want it to be, point in case from everything like Aliens TC to DooMKart.

Yes yes, OpenGL may improve the texture graphics but while we're updating the sprites to MD2 models why not make the textures 32? Like it would be changing anything major. Jeez, you totally contridict yourself. "Gee, I don't want 32 bit textures but I really really love the 3D MD2 models of the DooM sprites!". And on the subject of sounds, haven't you noticed that JDooM DOES fuck with the sounds, like the pitch and treble?

What do you think models are? REPLACEMENTS, yet you blabber that you don't like it when things in DooM are replaced. God.

I just freaking said I didn't want a argument! Jeesh, It was just my opinion. I added your User name to AIM and was going to send you the models and stuff. Do you still want me to send it or what?

And about the 32 bit textures... They WERENT just updated old textures, but looked completely different. Please don't blow up at me for something I don't want to argue about anymore! I was trying to end this argument in that last conversation, so why arent you?

Oh, and I don't use the Abbs weapons pack because it's not original art. I just took that screenshot to show you it. When I play Doom I use the old weapons.

Umm, I like JDoom. I deactivate the models though. I like it because of the lighting effects (I'd fall in love with the crappiest games in the world if they had good lighting).

To the /er2: Dude calm down. It seems like you wont be happy until everyone sees it your way.

Assmaster said:

Umm, I like JDoom. I deactivate the models though. I like it because of the lighting effects (I'd fall in love with the crappiest games in the world if they had good lighting).

To the /er2: Dude calm down. It seems like you wont be happy until everyone sees it your way.

I am trying to calm down and stop this argument before it gets out of hand! But bigbadgangster seems to want to continue the argument...