Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Obsidian

BOSS FIGHT! Ode to Id.

Oh wow, hi! Quibbles aside it's great that you stuck to your guns and just did the final bosses: I've always thought that the Spider Mastermind is quite under-utilized in the community, so a love letter of sorts is just what it needs. :3 I'm a bit strapped for cash at the moment myself, but hopefully I can nab this trilogy you mention next time around. Here's hoping you stick around. :)

It would be cool if you could also create alternative universe box arts. But I guess you can't use the games' logos.

Anyway, pet your corgi for me.

NickDaring said:

Oh yeah, John Carmack bought a set yesterday! CRAZY!

That's honestly kinda surprising, I didn't think Carmack was the nostalgic type like that.

Linguica said:

That's honestly kinda surprising, I didn't think Carmack was the nostalgic type like that.

Inb4 "more goodies from Carmack" thead, where he releases the DOS source for 1.9 and all the betas 😅

VGA said:

Inb4 "more goodies from Carmack" thead, where he releases the DOS source for 1.9 and all the betas 😅

This place would light on fire if Carmack showed up.

I'm surprised he popped in and bought a set, as well. But I'm glad! Print out that e-mail notification, and frame it, haha.

Am I the only one who finds Mecha Hitler a bit terrifying (in a good way) in this artwork?

Yeah, I really love how Mecha Hitler came out. People always forget that it's Hitler in a power suit for some reason.

I was a little worried people wouldn't pick up the set, since having posters of Hitler on your wall isn't too "in vogue" these days. Again, true fans haven't blinked an eye at it. No comments whatsoever.

Never-mind the Icon of Sin, I never really understood why the Spider Mastermind is seen as more of a boss than a Cyberdemon since, in a straight up fight, Cyberdemon wins almost every single time as proven in Doom 2's Map Gotchya. I guess the whole point is that the Spider Mastermind is the "brains" behind the operation rather than simply having raw power. Also, it's more of a hassle to fight since bullets are harder to dodge than rockets. :P

ALthough it is Adolf Hitler, one of History's greatest villains... He's in a power suit. I'd say that you're pretty good here.

Really great artwork through and through. Although Shub was pretty lame as a boss (In fact, it's probably the least memorable thing about the game), the art certainly sets up that foreboding atmosphere, and is rather fitting to the game's themes and art direction. In a way, it also reminds of the Deathmatch Maker box art.

roadworx said:

Am I the only one who finds the Spider Mastermind harder than the Cyberdemon?

If you have cover hes not that hard. The problem with the cyberdemon is his rockets, one wrong step and you lose a large chunk of your health, not to mention that the rockets have splash damage and that it has more health.

Doominator2 said:

If you have cover hes not that hard. The problem with the cyberdemon is his rockets, one wrong step and you lose a large chunk of your health, not to mention that the rockets have splash damage and that it has more health.

Well, then, I guess I just suck at hitscan then :p

roadworx said:

Well, then, I guess I just suck at hitscan then :p

I dont blame you though, hitscans are like if someone where to be taking your picture with a lethal camera, while projectiles can easily be dodged after being shot.

Its just that its the damage of the Cyberdemon's projectile and its 3 shot volley that makes him more powerful, if you mess up in dodging during that volley, then you could expect to take some heavy damage.

MetroidJunkie said:

I guess the whole point is that the Spider Mastermind is the "brains" behind the operation rather than simply having raw power.

Yeah, that's the point for me. I think it makes sense.

Doominator2 said:

Its just that its the damage of the Cyberdemon's projectile and its 3 shot volley that makes him more powerful, if you mess up in dodging during that volley, then you could expect to take some heavy damage.

The worst situation for me is when I'm using the plasma gun and my projectiles block my vision, so I can't see the Cyber's rockets (not exactly in E2M8, but in wads that put pressure on you). If you want to keep shooting, you have to dodge using only your intuition and paying attention on the Cyber's sprites. Maybe I can practice this.

printz said:

Wolf3D's real final boss is just a fat general in normal uniform, not Hitler…

the nocturnal missions takes place before the first three episodes chronologically, though. plus, Fettgesicht had a rocket launcher that was easily avoidable by strafing, whereas Mecha-Hitler has the much more menacing dual-miniguns.

That's some beautiful artwork, I think the Quake one is my favourite.

I particularly like the attention paid to getting the 'feel' of each level right, along with all the little details.

I never played Quake in its heyday, so I don't identify as strongly with it, but I absolutely love the other two pieces--especially the Wolf3D one. I wish I had the spare room and cash to justify grabbing all of them, but I suppose I'll need to be more selective. And while Doom is near and dear to my heart, that elaboration of the mecha-Hitler completely blows my mind.

Looking at the pieces from Nick's prior 'Boss Fight!' art project, I'm rather enamored with the Metroid one as well. Great stuff, and I look forward to more!

as for the kickstarter itself, i went with the mech print because yeah, that is a exceptionally menacing piece. i would have gone for the Doom one, but... am i the only one that thinks the mastermind looks a bit "durrrrrrr" in the picture?

Mithran Denizen said:

Looking at the pieces from Nick's prior 'Boss Fight!' art project, I'm rather enamored with the Metroid one as well. Great stuff, and I look forward to more!

oh wow, that is exquisite. if it still exists in stock, i might have to order one in the future...

Oh yeah, all the original Boss Fight1 posters are still up for sale here- http://store.nakatomiinc.com/bossfight.aspx

I had the hardest time trying to figure out what to do for Boss Fight 2 after first one did so well. There was no other perfect trilogy similar to that first Nintendo trio. The three main Id game were the closest thing that came to mind.

Those three game represent the invention and development of what a LOT of modern gaming became afterwards. Each a continuation of certain ideas that leads to the creation of the next game. Such an influential trio of games that don't get enough attention in my opinion especially when looked at as whole.