Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Angry Saint

textures compatibility

I've noticed, using freedoom1 as iwad for making a level, that there are many textures not present in the original doom but in doom2, like woodmet1, pipes and so on...

So if someone downloads freedoom phase 1 and create a map for it, this map may result un-playable using the doom iwad.

I think it is very good that freedoom makes available all the pwad without the requirement of owning a copy of doom.wad or doom2.wad, but maybe also the opposite would be good, that is to allow anyone with freedoom to share his/her creations with all the doom players.

I have discovered this because actually I used woodmet, pipes on the e3m9 i created, and now I discovered that the map is not playable with the original doom. Not a big problem for me, but did anyone think about this?

It's occurred to me before, and I think it's acceptable. My opinion is that any mapper targeting DOOM.WAD should be developing on it, and if not, they should be careful to double check their work. Essel put together a list one time of which textures are/aren't in either D1 or D2, that would be a good reference to use.

because freedoom maps dont have to be limited to what the original doom has. if freedoom has textures that doom doesnt it creates an incentive for mappers to make a freedoom specific map. if anything we should be looking into expanding the texture set, not making it smaller

I have a similar question, but sort of tweaked and put vice versa: Freedoom's compatibility with the commercial game's patches.

Does Freedoom replace all Doom's and Doom2's patches while retaining their exact names, exact dimensions, and exact positions of transparent parts?

In other words, if a Doom/Doom2 PWAD uses a custom TEXTURE1 that defines its own new textures composed of stock patches only, assembled of the whole spectrum of Doom's/Doom2's available patches in the most unpredicted ways, is the wad guaranteed to (technically) "look alright" with Freedoom?

scifista42 said:

In other words, if a Doom/Doom2 PWAD uses a custom TEXTURE1 that defines its own new textures composed of stock patches only, assembled of the whole spectrum of Doom's/Doom2's available patches in the most unpredicted ways, is the wad guaranteed to (technically) "look alright" with Freedoom?

If you don't also include your own PNAMES, then I don't think we can guarantee compatibility.

There's also no guarantee that patches are exactly identical. If you're doing texture composition that requires a high level of texel precision (instead of just "there's a switch on that wall") then it will probably not look right.

Angry Saint said:

So we can imagine a (far) future where the idgames archives will have a new folder called "freedoom"... well, I like the idea!

Possible, but I wouldn't recommend depending on Freedoom for such a case until at least version 1.0 is out.

For now, we have a goal of maintaining compatibility with Doom and Doom II, but extra assets are mostly for the benefit of Freedoom's own levels, and may disappear in another release. I think maintaining a standard base of assets would be a nice goal for 1.0 and forward.

scifista42 said:

Does Freedoom replace all Doom's and Doom2's patches while retaining their exact names, exact dimensions, and exact positions of transparent parts?

Names and dimensions are what Freedoom aims for, but composition of the works, for example the position of transparent parts, goes right into being a derivative of Doom, which is forbidden by its copyright status and current rights holders. Freedoom won't be doing this.