Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LGN-76

How do you normally play DOOM? With Original or Modern Gameplay?

Budoka said:

I agree with Megamur regarding the "bad habit" argument.

I play with a mostly "original" setup since I am something of a purist. So no freelook, no crosshair, no jumping and no crouching or even gamma correction (it pisses me of that most source ports have the gamma set to max by default, as I always forget to turn it back off after updating versions).

Gamma correction's been a feature since vanilla Doom, so I don't think it's unfair to use. On the other hand, older WADs were built on CRT monitors which were inherently darker than modern flatscreens, so keeping the gamma as low as possible keeps the brightness levels closer to how they were intended.

However, I'd rather leave DOOM2.EXE and Chocolate Doom alone with their horrible graphics, and constant, unmanageable game-crashing bugs.

I'd strongly recommend Crispy Doom. It's a modified version of Chocolate Doom with higher-resolution graphics, uncapped framerate, and with most, if not all, of vanilla Doom's game-crashing bugs eliminated, as well as a few extra, optional features. It's about as close as you can get to traditional Doom without having to worry about it exploding. :)

Here's a link to the newest version. And here's the project homepage for more info.

BaronOfStuff said:

If the engine's crashing all the time, then it's because you're simply playing incompatible/overdetailed maps

...Which I want to. And even when they clearly aren't, it still happens. I got a visplane overflow on Memento Mori MAP13("The Inmost Dens II"), a savegame buffer overflow on MM2 MAP15 ("The Devil's Coterie"), and Cleimos II MAP31 ("Command + Control") flat out wouldn't work longer than ten seconds because of various graphical errors that I couldn't even trace back on the wiki. And there's no way those wads were conceived with advanced source ports in mind.

@Megamur: is there a way to disable the uncapped framerate though ? Not only is that not very purist since as far as I'm aware the framerate of the original game is completely locked, it's also very bad for my laptop.

@VGA: I realized as much when I played Hell Ground (which is optimized for GlBoom+). I played it a little, then watched a couple YT playthroughs and thought wait, something's wrong with my lighting... I launched it again, pressed F11 and what do you know, it turned the gamma off and suddenly everything looked much better.

I like to play with "modern" gameplay, because I feel so cool to do the ivan the terrible maneuver with the revenants rockets. When it fires a homing missile, I run toward it and duck at the last moment.

Angry Saint said:

I run toward it and duck at the last moment.

That's considered as (cheating) , You are not supposed to duck on Original game .

DMGUYDZ64 said:

Okay, have fun cheating ;) .

Well, don't believe it is cheating. Not completely at least. Homing missiles can also change their pitch so you have to carefully evaluate the moment in which to crounch.

There's a few ways I normally play. My source port of choice is Zandronum, and I like playing WADs with Brutal Doom and jumping and mouselook and all of that (sometimes I also use BD addons, such as Project Brutality or Operation Inhuman: Beta). HD texture packs are also cool. However, if a WAD has custom weapons or enemies not compatible with BD, then I'll play without BD and still enjoy the crap out of it.

Lately, I've been playing with Chocolate Doom with the sound effects set to PC Speaker and the music set to OPL (Adlib/SB), because this is incredibly accurate to the way I first played Doom back in 1996/'97. I have a deep appreciation and respect for the original gameplay, and even prefer it at times.

I play with GZDoom. I use the mouse to look/turn but not to aim. No jumping/crouching unless the wad states it's alright to use.

Makazi said:

Lately, I've been playing with Chocolate Doom with the sound effects set to PC Speaker and the music set to OPL (Adlib/SB), because this is incredibly accurate to the way I first played Doom back in 1996/'97.

Same here. The first PC I played Doom on had no sound card, so it was all PC speaker effects. Hearing the various little chimes is quite nostalgic for me, and though I love Doom's soundtrack, having the game being silent aside from sound effects did add a certain creepiness to it.

Megamur said:

Same here. The first PC I played Doom on had no sound card, so it was all PC speaker effects. Hearing the various little chimes is quite nostalgic for me, and though I love Doom's soundtrack, having the game being silent aside from sound effects did add a certain creepiness to it.

Yeah, I've taken to turning off the music as well; it really feels like I'm back in '96. It's insanely authentic to my first experience with the game, and I love how grainy and gritty it looks, the way the fog and light behave, the original 'invisibility' effect, all the glitches such as slime trails and oddities such as infinitely tall actors--I can't get enough of it. It's nostalgia heaven.

Doom/2.exe in DOSBox or Choco for vanilla maps. PrBoom+ for limit-removing. G/ZDoom for mods. Anything else for something specific.

There's also Doom+ that greatly increases limits and reduces crashes while still being DOSBox and original engine compatible, for those that want that kind of thing.

Get off my lawn.

No really though I use "classic" (lol) no mouse look etc, etc for most wads, and use mouse look and such when it comes to playing like, complex doom or something.

Geez I thought this thread would turn into a br00tal vs "classic" gameplay thread.

Yeah.

Hmm, I play DOOM with no mouse look, modern controls on PrBoom, Chocolate DOOM, ZDOOM, and GZDOOM. Expect for Zandronum, I play It with modern gameplay since It's multiplayer after all.