Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Hellbent

megawad number 2 in progress.

/sound 911

Hi ho. Megawad number 2 is coming along nicely. Would be nice if someone would help me out with the textures, though. If anyone wants to help me out with texturing/detailing, please let me know.

What exactly is the problem? Do you need new textures, or do you have problems aligning textures properly...?

Remember to use textures which fits. Like a 64*64 texture for a 64*64 object. Be sure it's aligned properly.

Hellbent said:

Would be nice if someone would help me out with the textures, though.

I think he means creating new textures or modifying existing ones.

Hehe. What I meant was I need someone to texture the maps. Using the existing textures in DOOM 2 and going into my maps and texturing them. But I guess this isn't something anyone is going to want to do. I suck at texture coordination is the thing.

Kammesennin said he'd be willing to do the texturing of my maps, so I'll see if he's still up to it next time I see him.

Just make every sector some multiple of 128 high and unpeg the textures around windows etc, or use one of the brick textures (brick8 etc) no effort required :)

fen boi: That's exactly what I do :). Look at this little 6 map DM wad I just made: Hardly any texturing involved at all :P. That's the problem. To me this looks better than if I tried to have each level have texture variation. And since it requires no effort, why not? But people complain of the lack of variation. And I agree. I'm just not skilled in the arena of texturing wads.

Six Swix.zip

It definately does make it more difficult to memorise the layout of the less linear maps (and when I spawn I like to know immediately how to get to the nearest weapon). It's always much easier to texture maps when you got a theme (medieval, tech etc), and make subtle changes to each room/area to make it distinct (eg add ceiling detail such as lights etc). Its definately more important when the architecture is simple (not that simple is bad or anything).

maybe look at other peoples maps for inspiration on texturing?

Sweet! Cool, thanks man. You can modify the text file and put in about what you did to the map so that you get credit. And, obviously, you'll have to save the wad with a new file name, which you can choose.

Do you care if I alter a few linedefs in order to put in light sources and stuff.

I am testing the stuff with original Doom2 so don't fear.

Yea, that'd be cool. As long as you don't disrupt the shape of the map.

This is cool, I really appreciate it. Thanks guys.

Is it ok if I put in a few extra sectors (for ceiling lights). Also, what happens if more than one person textures the same maps?

We get multiple versions. :D

You can add sectors as long as it doesn't disrupt the gameplay. Don't make low ceilings that you smack your head against when you're coming full speed off of a flight of stairs, etc.

I've done the first level, in a red rock cavern with brown side passages, and I've put a river of that glowing rock into the floor. (don't worry, it doesn't damage you), is that ok?

Are there any other themes in particular you want to see in the wad?
I also notice that the other levels are all outdoors, is this how you want them to be? (as there are some themes that don't work outdoors)

I'll do the rest over the next couple of days.

You can texture em however you think will make em look good. I personally don't like having textures that hurt you when they don't actually hurt you but it's not a biggie. Can I see the first level?

Hellbent said:

You can texture em however you think will make em look good. I personally don't like having textures that hurt you when they don't actually hurt you but it's not a biggie. Can I see the first level?

Yep, just emailed it to you (at 6:30pm BST)

Nice! I really like that. The brown rock caves look *really* nice. My only gripe is that the red is a bit too much. Other than that, real nice. Thanks!

I liked the stone lights you put in. I didn't care much for the brick12 textures you put in - they didn't seem to flesh well with the rest of the textures. Logically they didn't really make much sense to me either. Other than that, very nice. The Bstone1 texture was a bit overbearing for my tastes. A different floor and/or ceiling might be in order.