Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
baja blast rd.

Re-enabling bobbing in demos that remove it.

Is it possible to re-enable head bobbing in demos that remove it -- safely, as in without any de-syncs?

I tried running various configs alongside -playdemo with "player_bobbing" set to 1, but that doesn't seem to work.

prBoom+ was the port used for replaying, and ostensibly for recording.

Does removing bobbing also stop the weapon from bobbing? Because that would affect demo sync (the weapon switch is faster when the weapon is at the bottom of its bob, as I'm sure you know). If the demo was made with nonstandard weapon switch timings, it might be impossible to play it with bobbing.

Linguica said:

bob, as I'm sure you know).

Haha, great.

Yeah the weapons don't bob either.

I watched an FDA that was extremely helpful for balancing a couple of my fights, but the lack of bobbing gave me the creeps. I can't really explain it -- it's absolutely terrifying. Oh well.

Edit: Maybe it'd help to imagine that Doomguy was swapped out for a gun-wielding Pain Elemental or something.

But isn't it possible to re-enable normal head-bobbing while keeping weapon-bobbing as is in the demo? Theoretically, that shouldn't affect sync, or am I wrong?

rdwpa said:

I watched an FDA that was extremely helpful for balancing a couple of my fights, but the lack of bobbing gave me the creeps. I can't really explain it -- it's absolutely terrifying. Oh well.

Could it be you're talking about my demo..? I wish Never_Again were here, I'm sure he'd be amused :)

The short of the matter is that I turn off weapon bobbing whenever possible because of weapon swing - if you start firing when the weapon is off centre, it gets locked out of position, which I found was enough to upset my aim during prolonged periods of shotgun use.

Sadly weapon swing is demosync-sensitive for the reasons Linguica explained (indeed, I hex-edited my demo to play back with player_bobbing=1, and it broke). My habit of recording with player_bobbing=0 has uncovered bugs, too.

scifista42 said:

But isn't it possible to re-enable normal head-bobbing while keeping weapon-bobbing as is in the demo? Theoretically, that shouldn't affect sync, or am I wrong?

It might be possible to override the presence or lack of view bobbing only without breaking sync. I've never tried, but I can't immediately think of a reason that it wouldn't work.

Centering the weapon without modifying its vertical offset shouldn't break anything. Would be nice to see such a feature in PrBoom+.

RjY said:

Could it be you're talking about my demo..? I wish Never_Again were here, I'm sure he'd be amused :)

Haha I watched that demo too and was thinking that's what this thread was referencing :P

I think its a little bizarre to watch too.