Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
darkreaver

Roguelikes

Yeah, bitches.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roguelike

Another user whos name I can't recall (pun) ATM reminded me of roguelikes in another thread, well, more specifically Angband! I played a lot of Angband (and variants like SAngband, RAngband etc) back in the days, and because of before mentioned thread I downloaded the newest version and started playing again. I currently have a lvl 34 character and Im roaming around dungeon lvl 45 or so. Was pretty lucky early on and found a special dagger which helped me a lot on the way. Playing as a high-elf (for the first time) warrior (keeping it simple). Biggest achievement so far: killed The Balrog Of Moria, and it was worth a whooping 50.000 exp for my current char lvl at the time.

For those who dont know Angband, its based on Moria, which was based on Rogue. Its LoTR-themed. The goal is to delve into Angband which has 100 levels downwards...when you finally reach lvl 100 you must kill Morgoth to win the game. along the way you encounter countless different monsters and unique bosses (Smeagol, Wormtounge, different Balrogs, Shagrath, Lugdush, Sheol and so on and so on, so many), and find tons of different artifacts, weapons, armors etc.

There are tons upon tons of different roguelikes out there, a Doom roguelike which many here probably know about among others. Diablo is a well known late ascendant too.

So basically, do you play, or have you played any roguelikes and whats your experience with them? Any recommendations? You know the drill...its a thread.

I've put hundreds of hours into Dwarf Fortress. Before that, Nethack was my thing and Telengard when I was a kid.

I tried starting a DF succession game here but nobody was up for it.

Never really knew about them until Binding of Isaac- which granted is a little more action orientated over traditional Rougelikes. Though it has many of the elements!

For me too, Dwarf Fortress is the best Roguelike. I am far from good or even mediocre at it, but the sheer amount of stuff in it and how everything interacts.

There is a movie about people not knowing there are not in the matrix. And i dont mean "Matrix". Dwarf Fortress could be about those people.

Edit:
Also: FTL. So good.

Hey,

I'm also in the middle of a Angband run with a Dunadan Warrior. My favourite roguelike is Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup though.

I'm not much of a fan of the ASCII variety, but I've played a few fun ones. My recent favorite game with roguelike elements is Ziggurat, which has eaten up quite a bit of my time in the past year.

Pixel Dungeon isn't too horribly bad, either. Plus, being that it's on my phone, it gives me something to do when I'm bored yet want a more in-depth experience.

I posted screenshots of some playsessions i had in a great looking roguelike somewhere on this forum earlier this year.

Looks nice ;

Gas killed me ;

Burned to death ;

Edit ;
Those are screenshots from a game named Brogue with a slightly altered font set.

I absolutely love Rouge-Likes, except I hate how ASCII looks. DoomRL is pretty good but I'm pretty sure you've all played that.

My favorite is FTL, if that even counts. Really all it has going for it is randomly generated shit.

Roguelikes are the type of game that I love to play despite being TERRIBLE at. Last one I played was Infra Arcana, which is inspired by Lovecraftian stuff and Blood.

I recently just got heavily back into Angband after over a year hyatus so I am *very* delighted to see this thread. :) It was probably me who made the thread awhile ago. I am very bad at the game as I get attached to dungeon levels (I don't want to leave when I should--or I become stubborn and want to kill the thing though the lack of my health and/or resistances means the odds are not in my favor. I am enjoying version 4.02 of Angband right now very much.

EDIT: BTW, isn't a Balrog of Moria a DL67 or something? That would be a seriously out of depth monster to fight on DL45 or lower.

I've been trying to get into Dwarf Fortress but I couldn't figure out how to do the most basic of actions.
It's so damn complicated.

The Civ said:

I've been trying to get into Dwarf Fortress but I couldn't figure out how to do the most basic of actions.

Yeah, I tried it for a bit and managed to do some things but still didn't survive the winter. I then saw a guy playing it in a Starbucks in Harvard Square and asked him if he also played Roguelikes (Angband) but instead he recommended to me Hearthstone which I am really enjoying as well.

Hellbent said:

I recently just got heavily back into Angband after over a year hyatus so I am *very* delighted to see this thread. :) It was probably me who made the thread awhile ago. I am very bad at the game as I get attached to dungeon levels (I don't want to leave when I should--or I become stubborn and want to kill the thing though the lack of my health and/or resistances means the odds are not in my favor. I am enjoying version 4.02 of Angband right now very much.

EDIT: BTW, isn't a Balrog of Moria a DL67 or something? That would be a seriously out of depth monster to fight on DL45 or lower.

Yeah, it was you who mentioned it in another thread recently =)

I think The Balrog of Moria is a DL50, though I fought him in a vault on DL38 I think it was. Pretty rare indeed. And the fact that it was worth a hopping 50k exp at the time was awesome ;)

I usually fully explore all levels, at least when the feeling tells me there are good treasures to be found! I always use a rod of detect treasures and rod of detect traps around the maps. Just got a rod of detection (which detects everything) and its a good tool indeed!

I seriously do need some new equipment, especially different types of armours (gauntlets, shields, you know), BUT, I have found...The Trident Of Wrath! It´s definitely an endgame weapon, it`s so good. For example, it does 560 dmg to undead each round (!). I also carry The Trident of Ulmo around as a swap, as it totally destroys dragons. I just killed an Ancient Red Dragon in two rounds, and with my +16 speed (rings and boots) he didn't even have a chance to hit me ;)

And I´m one of those who loves the ASCII style. Cant even see what the monsters are when in sprite mode. The ASCII style perfectly fits these type of games.

Does FTL count? It's amazing how you can go from doing so well to having the crew members you just purchased drop dead, and being obliterated by space pirates.

The Civ said:

CapnDuck's videos helped me greatly. If you insist on learning the game yourself but you just want a less obtuse interface, install the Lazy Newb Pack.

darkreaver said:

Just watched some Dwarf Fortress vids on YT. Damn, thats something...

you should read stories from people playing it
words fail to describe the "thing" surrounding dwarf fortress, it really IS kind of a matrix, everything gets simulated in it, everything

karacho said:

you should read stories from people playing it
words fail to describe the "thing" surrounding dwarf fortress, it really IS kind of a matrix, everything gets simulated in it, everything

I'm gonna have to give that game a try again. But now it's onwards and downwards.

@darkreaver: I've never heard of those weapons. Sound badass! I found a Scythe of Slicing with pretty high stats (most of those weapons I'd find would have single digit boosts on them). The one I found did 600+ per round on Undead and 500+ on evil creatures. I had some other boosts to dam, tho (Haradrim Shield (+5, +5) and gauntlets of power (+2, +8) <+5> (strength). Good luck on your descent!

EDIT: Hot damn! Just picked up gloves of Theivery on DL13: <+5> Dexterity! And prevent paralysis. Man, this is turning out to be a good game so far. I picked up the Long Sword Evagil {Special} on DL10. Both of these items were acquired on relatively low level feelings (there aren't many treasures here). Both were dropped by monsters, the weapon by Mughash the Kobold. I also recently discovered a good use for a wand of wonder; use it on uniques! I easily took out Wormtongue with it as well as Mughash. It's good on uniques because it won't duplicate them, (they'll resist that effect! ;)

EDIT 2: I also found an uncommonly good ring of the mouse. It only has (0, -5) and actually increases the damage my Evagil does, because it gives it the +1 DEX it needed to reach 2.8 blows a round! I've never seen a ring of the mouse do that. And the additional +3 stealth sure doesn't hurt! I also somehow have 3 staves of ID good for 46 charges! Never had so many identifies so early in the game.

@Hellbent: Nice! I found the Evangil-sword too, but I can't remember when/where :) I think I used The Dagger "Detanch" or something like that for very long into the game. Had like 4,5 blows/round with it and I could activate it for lightning (or was it frost?) bolts for 120 dmg or so. Helped out a lot early on in the game =)

Well, look at this vault I just found! I´m in for...trouble? That Great Hell Wyrm...fuck me.