Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Azriel_Irae

Are there any Artists and Programmers here?

I was looking to aquatint with a few artists/programmers. I am interested in making a Doom mod or a game, but it will be a while from now, so right now I just want to have a few people in my contacts just in case. I am looking into gathering a development team in the near winter, but being such a horribly shy introvert makes it hard for me to contact these people up front, so I would like to get to know a few people.

Correct. If you're not a programmer or artist you can do audio or money. There re a lot of programming forums with these requests. You have time until winter you can start getting acquainted with programming or even level design.

We recently bounced someone out of the forum with a similar request about birdmen.

Before you want to make a "mod" or "game", you definitely want experience making "levels". Making levels requires limited artistic and programming ability. If you make levels for Doom/Doom 2 you have a lot of important things to learn about what makes a level fun to play and explore, and how difficulty progression works from the beginning of a map to its end.

I often wish i could call myself an artist or programmer. Problem is i was never focused enough to do anything long enough to get good at it.

Had some programming schooling, but was only about the most basic things in visual basic, skills i already aquired as a kid by typing cpc 464 programms from a magazine.

Also tried to draw and do some music, have all the supplies needed to do those things digitally, and a bunch of supplies to draw on paper, but i am not good at focusing at such things :/

Respect to everybody that does such things and comes up with creative and wonderful work. Also respect to everybody who just doesnt give up on those things.

Hoodie said:

Does making shitty levels make me a programmer?

Did you have to type things like x = 10 or type something out?

geo said:

Did you have to type things like x = 10 or type something out?

I was joking around but I have messed a bit in slade to learn all I could do and what not, and I'm trying to get better at mapping.

The weird part is I find it very fun to code, which looks boring as fuuuuck.

Azriel_Irae said:

I was looking to aquatint with a few artists/programmers. I am interested in making a Doom mod or a game, but it will be a while from now, so right now I just want to have a few people in my contacts just in case. I am looking into gathering a development team in the near winter, but being such a horribly shy introvert makes it hard for me to contact these people up front, so I would like to get to know a few people.

So will you be bankrolling this thing, or what? If so, maybe you should take a look at elance instead. If you just want to make a doom mod, just figure it out on your own. Coding the decorate is axiomatic, you can learn how to do it by looking at various resources online.

Recently, I found a game on Steam that has a bank roller, but no one to make it. The Canadian government gave them a grant of a lot of money. Its one of the strangest cart pulling the donkey's I've ever seen. The project has been in development hell for years, but they still have money to throw at people to not get the job done. They've gone through dozens of artists, programmers, modelers and animators.

TheCupboard said:

Before you want to make a "mod" or "game", you definitely want experience making "levels". Making levels requires limited artistic and programming ability. If you make levels for Doom/Doom 2 you have a lot of important things to learn about what makes a level fun to play and explore, and how difficulty progression works from the beginning of a map to its end.

I disagree with this. Making levels requires tons of artistic ability and creativity. making a UAC facility map is just as artistic as drawing a sketch of the facility on paper.

And if it's a ZDOOM level with scripting, programming ability is required. I do not know what kind of mod he will be creating, so I'll assume it's a vanilla or Boom and does not require programming.

TheCupboard said:

If you make Doom levels with WadC 1.1, you could be a programmer: http://strlen.com/wadc-editor

Point well made. This is a programming to design a level. I can't imagine the work to do so. That's why its better to program a designer or editing tool.

geo said:

Point well made. This is a programming to design a level. I can't imagine the work to do so. That's why its better to program a designer or editing tool.

It has its advantages for e.g. symmetric patterns, or complex -but procedurally generated- patterns. I think the tool was meant mostly for producing prefabs, like e.g. a floor with a fractal design, arcs with a hundred tiny pixel-wide linedefs etc.

All of those might be faster to produce with WadC's scripting, than painstakingly drawing them line by line in a conventional editor.