Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Elia1995

Replacement sounds not working

Hey everyone, after some years, today I wanted to mod Doom once again, so I got SLADE 3 (yeah, finally a new stable version) and I made some texture replacement, everything works fine, but once I got to the sound part... well, things weren't as bright as before.

Basically I am doing a simple wad with just a replacement (for testing purposes), I want to replace the Cacodemon with a friend of mine's face, for the graphical part everything went fine, but I want custom sounds aswell, these are the steps I followed:

- I looked for DSCACDTH lump in Doom 2's IWAD
- Copy/pasted it from the IWAD onto my PWAD, under S_START mark as everything else
- Right click on it and I imported the wav I previously prepared with Sony Vegas (8-bit, mono)
- Tried the wad: Cacodemon's death sound was the original one;
- So I right clicked the lump I just made, went in Audio -> Convert wav to doom format
- Tried the wad: Cacodemon's death sound was the original one again;

I browsed the whole forum, I looked on Google, I can't find any workaround.
If you need it, I can attach the wad aswell so you can check it out directly with your SLADE 3/XWE/DeHackEd software.

The first problem I can think of is that S_START/S_END is for sprites, not for sounds. Doom is trying to treat your DSCACDTH as a sprite. You may want to relocate DSCACDTH somewhere else in your wad file, outside of any markers.

Oh, apparently the issue was that...

I just followed your hint, I made a "S_END" marker and moved it up, before the DSCACDTH lump and now it works.

I completely forgot how these markers work and I didn't even make an S_END one, thank you !!!

WildWeasel said:

The first problem I can think of is that S_START/S_END is for sprites, not for sounds.

That is correct.

Markers are not required for sounds/music.

Hey guys, I have the exactly same problem, except it work for 90% of the sound, but some sound doesnt work, it play the original. I have make sure the sounds lumps are not inside markers ..

Any ideas ? I have two sould that doesnt work, it play the original instead ..

Huh, this is interesting. Usually, if I'm looking up problems on the internet and find old forum threads, it's either someone having an unrelated problem and figuring it out, or someone having the exact same problem I do and not getting any help... but this time, it's actually a 2 in 1 deal! Now that's something.

So yeah, anyone has an idea what may be causing the issue described in Mewdoom's post above?