Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
doom3xbox

Was Doom 3 popular for modifications?

As the subject line states, was it?

Today there is nothing going on for it. I've tried some modding at IDtechforums, and its not what I had expected. There is almost nothing actual doom 3 editing such as changing a script from an existing level, and so on.

I had wanted to connect some maps, but that is quite a ambitious task. But just to edit a script and change bits and pieces, I've had no luck with that.

Any thoughts?

And also have mods used the Monorail map? As in the tram, that map is one of the few where the player can see a little martian landscape.

It wasn't popular for modding but had a lot of activities in early days and it's still even after doom3world.org died, people continued modding game on moddb and similar sites (some even decided to create sites specific for their mods) .

Thank you your information. I commented on the idtechforums about this, my instinct was correct about that.

I tried some editing of the monorail map and its been successful only as far as changing the light radius in the pc version to the xbox version. Unless somebody thinks thats a really modification I could release that.:p

Editing the guy out of the tram works, but getting the player to walk in the tram and then the doors close, nothing.

The only few tutorials around via youtube.com are bare bone ones where adding a character in a box is the subject.

Its disappointing so far.

Doom3 was very popular for modifications the first few years after it's release. There were many large-scale modding projects like Return to Hell, Sapphire Scar, Requiem, but most of them never finished their project because Doom3 editing needs a lot of work to create some quality content. But it is very modding friendly, you can do all sort of stuff and you can learn many things simply by examinating the games levels in the editor.

You know this site? https://www.iddevnet.com/doom3/

doom3xbox said:

I had wanted to connect some maps, but that is quite a ambitious task. But just to edit a script and change bits and pieces, I've had no luck with that.

From what I remember, you just have to find the trigger that ends the level (usually at the exit door, or connected with an exit GUI) and enter the filename of the next level there.

Tetzlaff said:

Doom3 was very popular for modifications the first few years after it's release. There were many large-scale modding projects like Return to Hell, Sapphire Scar, Requiem, but most of them never finished their project because Doom3 editing needs a lot of work to create some quality content. But it is very modding friendly, you can do all sort of stuff and you can learn many things simply by examinating the games levels in the editor.

You know this site? https://www.iddevnet.com/doom3/

From what I remember, you just have to find the trigger that ends the level (usually at the exit door, or connected with an exit GUI) and enter the filename of the next level there.

Editing the actual levels is the problem as mentioned.

I don't about modding friendly, tutorials are needed, well explained stuff. Thumbs up for id making it moddable via an editor unlike other games out there.

It doesn't seem that my original idea is doable with so little information available. The key to modding is to keep it simple especially when you don't know much about a game. My first mod was connecting maps, but then I thought concentrate on one level and do some editing there. But that has failed as mentioned.

There is one other idea I want to try was to use some of the Mars city, perhaps like Administration to use a console to turn on the alarm heard in the first part of the game, along with those flashing lights.

The original Doom 3 Filefront page used to be extremely active with new mods every single day. There was literally hundreds of maps, mods etc on there. I followed the modding scene since the very beginning in 2004 and it's sad to see Filefront shut down now. The Doom 3 multiplayer/modding community really died around 2008 but I sure had a lot of fun while it lasted. At least I backed up my own weapon mod, it's hosted on Doom3WadStation somewhere. Unfortunately hundreds of other weren't so lucky. And now it's all gone (I think.) Good times...

RUSH said:

it's sad to see Filefront shut down now.

Filefront (now known as gamefront) itself didn't shutdown, they simply ended the individual game themed pages for games, the files are still present on the main part of the site.

RUSH said:

The original Doom 3 Filefront page used to be extremely active with new mods every single day. There was literally hundreds of maps, mods etc on there. I followed the modding scene since the very beginning in 2004 and it's sad to see Filefront shut down now. The Doom 3 multiplayer/modding community really died around 2008 but I sure had a lot of fun while it lasted. At least I backed up my own weapon mod, it's hosted on Doom3WadStation somewhere. Unfortunately hundreds of other weren't so lucky. And now it's all gone (I think.) Good times...

Nice...family friendly icon.

Elite force was also taken offline at filefront. Only popular mods were transfered to Gamefront.

I tried my best to edit the Monorail map, I wanted a daemon to run out where the Monorail rider is, and attack the player while on the way to site2 area.

I tried editing the keynames of the connecting pieces, but nothing changed. The daemon can attack if it sees the player, but it standing there it just freezes the tram from leaving. Deleting the doors also doesn't allow the player to go to the back.

I only got a copy for £2.04p, may as well uninstall it. Not that I need the hard drive space on my twelve year old pc.

Its sad as the above posts mentioned.

Thanks for the responses, take care.