Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The-smartest-masterm

DOS computer

The-smartest-masterm said:

Has anyone played ultimate doom on a DOS computer? I only played it in dosbox.

On a Tandy with a 386 using the magic Turbo button. PC speaker and if I was lucky, a serial mouse. Doom was not playable in Windows 3.1 though.

Buckshot said:

WHAT?!
How is configuring autoexec.bat's, config.sys's, himem's, IRQ's and channels, maybe a few jumpers, VESA, baud rates, stacker disk compression and several other key factors of PC's primitive past not worth the experience?

Get out of here with your slanderous plug-n-play lifestyle, sir. I say good day.

^^ This is awesome hahaha! Completely agreed

GhostlyDeath said:

On a Tandy with a 386 using the magic Turbo button. PC speaker and if I was lucky, a serial mouse. Doom was not playable in Windows 3.1 though.

Just saw this one. Pretty much what mine was as well. All I can honestly 100% recall of the system was 386 (with turbo), the serial mouse, PC speaker sound and that nifty DOS menu or batch scripting that was made for me lol. Spelled my name on the top of the screen with some text art. Ascii art I think is what it's called? Either way, great memories

Edit: Sorry no mouse. That was a bit later. Strictly keyboard for the first Doom playthrough :)

Budoka said:

I did as a kid. And trust me, you missed nothing worth experiencing. MS-DOS is quite an irritating piece of crap.

If you ran a file manager like ELFtree or OS/2 it wasn't as bad.

XTree Gold FTW!

MrDeAD1313 said:

that nifty DOS menu or batch scripting that was made for me lol. Spelled my name on the top of the screen with some text art. Ascii art I think is what it's called?

Reminds me one I used back then that also had a text-mode screensaver, which cut in after 5 minutes of inactivity if you didn't have a program running. Should still have a copy of it somewhere around the house.

Buckshot said:

Get out of here with your slanderous plug-n-play lifestyle, sir. I say good day.

I know you're just screwing around, but seriously, contrary to what some people would have us think, spending unnecessary effort for identical results is in no way a virtue.

Also, a system that fails if you get a single character in your request wrong is obviously less efficient than a system that only requires you to double-click twice.

VGA said:

Doom was among the FEW games that it didn't work with. It was a mixed bad, really: some worked like a charm and could run at full native speed, others didn't quite like it. It was kind of an intermediate step between attempting to run a game "bare" and setting up an emulator/VM (let alone that many VMs are not suitable for games or real-time apps because they do not emulate timings).

WildWeasel said:

Kudos to Carmack and co. for not insisting on creating their own extended memory manager from scratch. =P

Actually, Doom used the DOS/4GW extender, like many other games after it. It was one of the first to do so, though (at the time, "protected mode" sounded like a magic wand that removed the fugly conventional/XMS/EMS memory distinctions). However, Doom was indeed one of the few games that could run on a "clean" system after a F5 boot: no soundcard drivers (if you had an original Sound Blaster), no smartdrive, no XMS/EMS anything. In fact, the less crap you had loaded, the better.

Yes, I did, on a 386-SX (no FPU). I had to shrink the window to get it fluid.

And regarding file managers ... eehm ... Norton Commander 2.0 was probably the most widespread "decentralized backup" ever. ;)

And regarding config optimization: My record with QEMM was 634/640 KB free! With HIMEM/EMM386, still 620 KB.

LigH said:

With HIMEM/EMM386, still 620 KB.

On my 486 DX50 and on my Pentium 90, I got 625 kB on both machines, with either DOS 6.2 or Windows 95. I can't remember which one it was exactly.
The ability to get it there seems to depend on the machine a lot, though, as I got far less on some PCs. Some PC's BIOSes seem to steel some RAM for various reasons.

I've seen such crappy PCs where I couldn't even install Windows 95 due to insufficient RAM, despite the required 4 MB installed.

LogicDeLuxe said:

The ability to get it there seems to depend on the machine a lot, though

The exact type of TSRs and memory extenders also vary. Many himem.sys and emm386 replacements fared much better than the "official" ones, plus stuff like mouse drivers could vary a lot in memory footprint and highmem-friendliness.

LogicDeLuxe said:

I've seen such crappy PCs where I couldn't even install Windows 95 due to insufficient RAM, despite the required 4 MB installed.

This has also happened to me, with a different software though: the demo for NASCAR Racing installed and played fine on my buddy's 386 with 4 MB, but wouldn't install on my 486 also with 4 MB, at boot configuration parity, so there might indeed be something else (ROM shadowing? Some weird BIOS setting?) that ticked it off.

Windows 95 would barely run with 4MB... you really needed at least double to make it smooth, especially running more than one program at once.

I remember how at first I was pretty pissed at seeing how Win95 literally crawled, and was a disk-trashing mess on 4 MB, but then I saw that this was done by pretty much any "advanced" OS (OS/2, Unix, Linux, even MacOS) at the time. 4 MB just wasn't enough for a "true" OS, it seems (no surprise there, UNIX systems were rarely set up with less than 8 MB, at a time where RAM was at a premium).

Even Word Perfect on Windows 3.1 was very slow with 4 MB RAM. It was very usable when upgraded to 8 MB.
While Doom 1 played fine on 4 MB, some maps in Doom II suffered major slowdowns.
Upgrading RAM was very expensive in those days, which is why many played with 4 MB on 486 and 8 MB on Pentium PCs which was pretty much the bottom end.

Budoka said:

I know you're just screwing around, but seriously, contrary to what some people would have us think, spending unnecessary effort for identical results is in no way a virtue.

Also, a system that fails if you get a single character in your request wrong is obviously less efficient than a system that only requires you to double-click twice.

It was efficient and relative for its time.

In 30 years, the kids of today will be saying the very same thing about current computing platforms as it becomes legacy.

But it serves it purpose in history and many of us enjoyed those years to the point that became part of our lives and fond memories and we have the nostalgiac urge to recreate and revisit technologies past.

Not everyone found it a hassle or unreliable. Practice makes perfect... even if you intend to meddle with such today.

To me, it brings back memories of a much more interesting and exciting childhood than what tech provides me today. I mourn for those times all too often. Those good times are long gone... but I often like tinkering with some of my older early apples/pc's and their software to revisit the past for a moment of reflection on just how far we've come and what was left behind in the process.

Buckshot said:

In 30 years, the kids of today will be saying the very same thing about current computing platforms as it becomes legacy.

And, whether we like it or not, that's one thing at the very least about which they'll be completely right.

Budoka said:

And, whether we like it or not, that's one thing at the very least about which they'll be completely right.

Whether it's right or wrong, you're missing the point.

Some of us consider this retired hardware and software like history and art... like movies, paintings, books, architecture, poetry, etc etc.

Yes, there's always a better way of doing it. There will always be a better way or improved way.

But just because it's new doesn't always mean it's better (win 8 vs win 7's gui) and it certainly may not revolutionize a world like the prior did, nor contain that "magic" we had sentimental attachments to for whatever reason. There's no harm in wanting to share or encourage that experience to newcomers... if they like it, great! if they dont... oh well, maybe we can give them pointers.

It may not mean anything to you... and you're under no obligation to care. However, it does mean something to many, and recommending someone to not give it a try because it's "old" and a "hassle" is what got my panties in a bunch.

Getting software running in DOS was almost like a game itself. The best part was when you won, you got to play all your other games :-)

Although I don't remember Doom needing anything special to run. In fact, I don't think it needed much of anything at all. Did it even need HIMEM.SYS or EMM386.EXE or was the DOS extender happy if the processor was still in real mode for whatever reason? (I didn't use a mouse with Doom until 2000 or so, so a driver for that was unnecessary. I also had a real Sound Blaster Pro, which probably helped in the audio department too...)

Doom was really easy to start on DOS or Windows 9x. None of that "reboot into DOS mode where you have no mouse" bullshit that certain games (e.g. Dark forces) and level editors (including the oh-so-praised DCK) required. Couldn't they program their software to work on Windows 95/98?! Oh, Deth and Dehacked worked just fine from Windows 98…

There was of course a "dork age" of sound and music between my going to a computer with a lousy sound card, and coming to use DOSBox in Windows XP. During this dork age the music was using all the wrong instruments, and sound was a bit messed up.

Buckshot said:

Whether it's right or wrong, you're missing the point.

Some of us consider this retired hardware and software like history and art... like movies, paintings, books, architecture, poetry, etc etc.

Yes, there's always a better way of doing it. There will always be a better way or improved way.

But just because it's new doesn't always mean it's better (win 8 vs win 7's gui) and it certainly may not revolutionize a world like the prior did, nor contain that "magic" we had sentimental attachments to for whatever reason. There's no harm in wanting to share or encourage that experience to newcomers... if they like it, great! if they dont... oh well, maybe we can give them pointers.

It may not mean anything to you... and you're under no obligation to care. However, it does mean something to many, and recommending someone to not give it a try because it's "old" and a "hassle" is what got my panties in a bunch.

Very well done, sir. Bravo.

printz said:

None of that "reboot into DOS mode where you have no mouse" bullshit that certain games (e.g. Dark forces)

Dark Forces runs just fine in Windows 95. I'm sure about it, since I once tried it on a 4 MB PC. In plain DOS, it refused to run at all, but in Windows, it did start. Of course, it was far too laggy to be playable due to permanent swap file access.

jerk-o said:

Question for the people still running Doom in DOS: Are you using MSDOS 6.22 or are you using http://www.freedos.org/

Windows 98 SE DOS mode, ie. without booting into the GUI.
It's been a long time since I last played over IPX network, though.

CODOR said:

Getting software running in DOS was almost like a game itself. The best part was when you won, you got to play all your other games :-)

Although I don't remember Doom needing anything special to run. In fact, I don't think it needed much of anything at all. Did it even need HIMEM.SYS or EMM386.EXE or was the DOS extender happy if the processor was still in real mode for whatever reason? (I didn't use a mouse with Doom until 2000 or so, so a driver for that was unnecessary. I also had a real Sound Blaster Pro, which probably helped in the audio department too...)

Im sure I had those set somewhere in auto exec.bat and config.sys, but oddly enough I don't remember setting anything special for DOOM as far as those go, outside of sound card drivers and what not.

You don't need EMM386.EXE for games with a DOS extender, afaIk. I doesn't hurt either. It is just ignored. I use a boot menu which lets you select between real mode, XMS and EMS. You really need this on a DOS gaming machine. For those not willing to bother writing one, before DOS extenders became the norm, most games came with an option to write a boot floppy disk for you with the required RAM configuration.
Some early DOS extenders didn't even work with a memory manager loaded. I know that Turrican 2 insisted to be started in real mode. Those are rare, though.

Often! I have a 486dx4 with 32mb ram. A Pentium 2 400mhz with 384mb, voodoo 2 3dfx. A pentium 133 laptop with 48mb. I have a box full of soundcards including the original soundblaster and multiple revisions of gravis ultrasounds! Fun to play around with! :) oh and an mt32 with interface and sc55..

scifista42 said:

E3M5: Unholy Cathedral?

EDIT: Checked and confirmed in-game, it is definitely that place in E3M5.

Well, that was quick.

Heh, that looked almost like my computer desk (which is still there and still looks largely the same, BTW).

It's a testament to my Doom addiction that I too was able to recognize that screenshot as E3M5 from just a blurry rendering of demon asses and a box-shaped room.

I should probably go outside at some point in my life.

Randy87 said:

Well, that was quick.

Dude, people here zoom-enhanced an 1993 pic of Tom Hall mapping on his PC, CSI-style applied some contrast and based on the thing placement and the room shape concluded that it was an early version of a map in Doom.

And you straight up posted a pic of the monitor running the map? Step up your game, son!

VGA said:

Dude, people here zoom-enhanced an 1993 pic of Tom Hall mapping on his PC, CSI-style applied some contrast and based on the thing placement and the room shape concluded that it was an early version of a map in Doom.

And you straight up posted a pic of the monitor running the map? Step up your game, son!

Yup, was pretty cool. The pic is pretty blurry though. I didn't think someone would reply in five minutes.