Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pro_zealot

What about PC version of new DOOM?

Amph said:

i think i'm just too accustomed to the community wad, to appreciate so few monsters

i cannot anymore, i want to see at least 10-20 enemies every time i open a door : ), not maybe in the first level but you got the point

Yeah, most likely not gonna happen because they aren't making Serious Sam or Painkiller. I want well placed enemies rather than hordes coming at you and i thought the demo had pretty nicely placed enemies.

Jet1337 said:

You really think a revenant rips your arms off and beats you with them at the end of the level?

Actually, Stratton confirmed that in some cases, the monsters will play out some special kill cutscene with you. If you watch the trailer, you can catch a brief glimpse of the player getting his shit beat out of him by a Hellknight.

It's important that developers made the engine and a game itself that way which can support dozens/hundrets of enemies like original doom. Doom 1/2 TNT plutonia have dozens of enemies max, but for this reason game is easy even on ultra violence setting. So hard wads almost always include many monsters. I very hope that higher difficulty adds more enemies while leaving damage/hit points same. It's not that important that origanl doom 4 campaign will have less enemies or be more linear. But it is important that developers tested these and meny more features in doom editor and created their tech that can support that. Good example is warcraft 3 editor where you can create very diferent maps from original campaign. So these gameplay videos are a bit worring and remember limited capibilities of doom 3.

AvalonLT said:

It's important that developers made the engine and a game itself that way which can support dozens/hundrets of enemies like original doom. Doom 1/2 TNT plutonia have dozens of enemies max, but for this reason game is easy even on ultra violence setting. So hard wads almost always include many monsters. I very hope that higher difficulty adds more enemies while leaving damage/hit points same. It's not that important that origanl doom 4 campaign will have less enemies or be more linear. But it is important that developers tested these and meny more features in doom editor and created their tech that can support that. Good example is warcraft 3 editor where you can create very diferent maps from original campaign. So these gameplay videos are a bit worring and remember limited capibilities of doom 3.

Yeah, it would be cool, but I am kind of sceptical about it... I mean they are releasing it on consoles too. I don't know if they can make it so there are that many enemies on higher difficulties. And as far as I know, multiplatform games often are essentially same most of the time on each platform, besides graphics.

I admittedly haven't played a lot of PS4 games yet but in a post-Alien: Colonial marines world I am a bit cautious and open to the possibility of graphical downgrades, no difference here.

I mean, I hope it won't happen but you never know. The graphical downgrades might only be for console versions though. There's some optimizations to be done, 'cause either I'm blind or the gameplay footage wasn't constant 60fps.

I don't have a good computer so I'll be getting the PS4 version but I certainly hope the PC version gets some love 'cause I wanna get that version too after a price drop (or when I get a better computer) if the game's moddable or have more players on PC servers.

Short version is that I hope all versions will look equally pretty, hopefully without drops in framerate. And let's hope they won't pull that Colonial Marines shit on us. D:

I really actually don't mind serious sam/ painkiller amounts of enemies if it's done right.

What I don't like is the linear gameplay where you enter an arena, doors close, waves and waves of enemies, kill them all, doors open, go to next arena, repeat.

Doom was always about completely open areas and going anywhere you want. Even the custom user made slaughter maps with thousands of enemies give you complete freedom over the tactics you want to use. You can always go back for more supplies in another part of a level, or go around or a different way, or flank them, whatever.... Refueling base is an example of a DooM 2 map that has areas with lots of enemies to slaughter but you have complete freedom with how you move around in the level.

If used sparingly, I'm fine with closed in arenas. It's like, OH SHIT, I'm locked in!!!! If the whole game revolves around that though it gets boring. Just like in DooM 3 where every single encounter was 1 enemy teleporting in at a time and I just walk up to the pentagram with my shotgun and kill the imp right as it's spawning. That kind of thing is really awesome a few times because of the atmosphere, etc... but not when the whole game works that way.

potnop said:

If used sparingly, I'm fine with closed in arenas. It's like, OH SHIT, I'm locked in!!!! If the whole game revolves around that though it gets boring.

Reminds me of that one level in "Going Down", can't recall the name but it was a great idea and well executed. That whole WAD was friggin awesome actually.

As far as the new Doom, all I know is I hope my PC can run it well. I'd assume an i5 with a GTX 970 is sufficient, but if it came down to it I suppose I could stick another one in there.

personally i hope the game sets lesser machines on fire. i am already planning my upgrades! it will be good for the whole industry when the next "killer app" comes out. i hope that they let you toggle all options from the menu. and i hope ati is already working on driver support bc they deserve the blame when people have problems, not id. nvidia ftw. i am also wondering what it will take horsepower wise to play this on the occulus...

Cheesebone said:

As far as the new Doom, all I know is I hope my PC can run it well. I'd assume an i5 with a GTX 970 is sufficient, but if it came down to it I suppose I could stick another one in there.

i think you will be able to play 30+ fps at high but not ultra settings @ 1080p with 2x aa with a 970 but we shall see.

i am wondering if a 980ti will run it in the occulus at 60fps maxed out. i hope doom will be the software that makes occulus break out.

but now there is bethesda to deal with, i hope they have their brains on.

I wonder why so many people are talking about the NX, do you guys know something I don't? Isn't the entire existence of the NX pure lip service?

Anyways, I definitely agree that the weapon wheel should go, or at least be optional. I'm sure they'll have graphic options (low, med, hi) as ID has always been good about that kind of stuff. I'm also sure that difficulty will work as you described - Higher making there more, tougher, faster enemies, that seems to be what everyone wants so hopefully that's what they'll go with!

The NX is rumored to be weaker than the PS4. Dunno if they can shoehorn it in, or if they'll even bother that late into development if they're not already working with Nintendo on it.

Why? They published Bayonetta, Conker's Bad Fur Day, and Eternal Darkness. And developed the Gieger-influenced Metroid series inhouse before outsourcing it to Retro and Team Ninja. Super Metroid even had human corpses strewn about on the title screen, for god's sake.
They allowed Doom on the SNES back when it was considered one of the most graphic and violent games on the market, and they had Madworld on the Wii. Which is like, the pussiest system ever. If anything they'd be relieved to have Doom on NX, especially if it was updated to have new content. They're hurtin' for third party titles, and a mature title from a long-running series that taps into a large market that's been mostly ignored until recently?

This isn't the SNES-N64 days, Nintendo quit restricting developers outside of not allowing AO which Sony and Microsoft won't allow either. Doom for GBA only had green blood to get a T rating and into the German market. The only thing stopping developers from putting games on Nintendo systems is a lack of interest based on a lack of potential sales revenue, third party games typically get overshadowed on Nintendo systems due to Nintendo's own lineup often hogging the spotlight. I'm pretty sure, if Gearbox wanted to, they could release Duke Nukem Forever onto the Wii U with absolutely no objections from Nintendo, let alone Bethesda with Doom.

Yes they need 3rd party support. But I don't believe having Doom 4 on the NX would be a top priority for them, even if they don't mind the violence, as the Nintendo fanbase aren't entirely into the FPS genre. Likewise I don't think Bethesda would even give them an offer, because it's likely to sell better on the PS4/Xbox one and PC. But I guess we'll see what happens.

Bethesda might consider it if the game can easily be ported over with very little change in coding so that they don't have to spend a lot and any sales they do make will very easily cover the expenses. When the Wii U first came out, it got a reservoir of third party support because Ps3/360 games were easy enough to port over but, once the Ps4 and Xbox One came out, porting suddenly became too expensive to be worth it.

CyberDemonEmpress said:

Yes they need 3rd party support. But I don't believe having Doom 4 on the NX would be a top priority for them, even if they don't mind the violence, as the Nintendo fanbase aren't entirely into the FPS genre. Likewise I don't think Bethesda would even give them an offer, because it's likely to sell better on the PS4/Xbox one and PC. But I guess we'll see what happens.

I can't see how Doom 4 would work with the Nintendo crowd now, but I'm pretty out of touch with it. I think it would have done better back in the day, when games like Geist and Metroid Prime were coming out.

So, with Fallout 4 shipped and shipping, I wonder if the Bethesda store will pack with Doom related things now, as it does seem to be their next big anticipated title.

In which case, I wonder if we'll soon be seeing an actual Doom Pre Order package or Special Edition crate thing, as with FO4. Or really, any additional merch. Fallout 4 certainly went all out with figures and shirts, and other collectibles. A vinyl soundtrack release, even.

I can only wonder if they'll do the same for Doom in the coming months. I wouldn't mind seeing the game's soundtrack released in some format, or a Doom action figure on par with the FO4 and Skyrim ones now available.

I figured this would fit here "Because Pre Order" as opposed to making a new thread.