Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Superluigieth1

What is your 'dream' computer?

It can be anything.

So, I had an idea - post on Doomworld a thread about your 'dream' computer, retro or new.

Here's mine...

CPU: Intel Pentium ///
CARDS: Voodoo 5 5500 for Graphics,
and SB Live! 5.1 for Sound,
HDD: 40GB

Now post your 'dream' computer!

Probably something overpowered in a sleek purple case that doesn't make any noise.
...still needs to be running Windows 7 though :V

My dream computer would not be physically part of me, nor would it be something I hold in my hand. It would be a steady stream of high quality, three dimensional interactive information which I would be able to access telepathically when I come within proximity to a connection. These connections would be embedded not only in all buildings, vehicles and clothing, but also in synthetic plants which are both a form of food and a biological network device.

One that is magically always updated and never crashes or overheats and runs everything perfectly regardless of required OS or statistics. Oh, and it should read my mind and be a transformer that turns into a terminator or a hot car or whatever depending on what I fancy at the time.

A computer which i could buy now and still use 5 years down the road without overheating, damaged motherboard, seriously degrading CPU, and burnt up memory... while still being able to run most games 5 years after buying that machine.

A matryoshka system that holds my core stuff in something tiny I can take running or swimming taped to my arm or clipped to my sleeve, but it fits seamlessly into a small smartphone which fits seamlessly into a tablet which fits seamlessly into a powerful laptop which fits seamlessly into like a home cinema or whatever. Also it's a transformer that turns into a hot anime girl.

One that doesn't need an OS (no spontaneous background processes, just do what I tell it to do) but also supports all applications that (at least) Windows does. Also giving the user an easy and actual full control of what's happening in it.

An Amiga A1200.

Or, anything with a modern-spec GPU which still has an S-Video output so I can plug it into my old CRT TV and pump it full of emulators.

@Dave The Daring: EDGAR!! Actually that little system had some killer sound hardware ...

FireFish said:

A computer which i could buy now and still use 5 years down the road and still being able to run most games 5 years after buying that machine.

6 years old pc given for free, what ya gonna do?

yukib1t said:

Sharp X68000

I wanted to develop an emulator for this computer, but it has lots of custom chips inside of it for which I can't find any kind of technical reference. Assuming the documents even existed, they might all be in Japanese.

I wish I had a Canadian Amiga CD32 with full modern expansions, like having a HDD among other things. Ultimate Amiga gaming machine, can run any era, either TV system, and looks sleeker than a desktop box.

Apparently the caps on the motherboard were put on backwards for those, should probably do some surgery before using one!

scalliano said:

Or, anything with a modern-spec GPU which still has an S-Video output so I can plug it into my old CRT TV and pump it full of emulators.

Get a Sony WEGA (circa 04-06, no later) with HDMI input, problem solved. A CRT TV with progressive scan, probably the only place where the raw scanline effect of many emulators actually looks good!

And seriously, don't use the TV out on cards, they scale stuff stupidly. If you can find a way to run the game on a TV using native res or emulation thereof (like my above suggestion), you'll get far truer visuals.

One which continues on the tradition of planned obsolescence, where today's bleeding edge is tomorrow's primitive artifact. Where the boundaries of physics are being constantly challenged in the endless pursuit of "more and faster." Where dreams are no longer dreams, and where this reply sounds less like pretentious horseshit.

A computer that is as powerful as one believes it is, but also as powerful as one believes it not to be. A chaotic, unholy machine within and outside the verges of existence and nonexistence, yes and no. But always, forever, and perhaps never, maybe.

Jaxxoon R said:

A computer that is as powerful as one believes it is, but also as powerful as one believes it not to be. A chaotic, unholy machine within and outside the verges of existence and nonexistence, yes and no. But always, forever, and perhaps never, maybe.

AKA Satan's computer?

More RAM, less storage space. Good for browsing the internet and playing Doom. That's all I need it for.