Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Superluigieth1

What is your 'dream' computer?

I have rarely seen such an astounding lack of imagination on the subject of a dream anything. All you guys are throwing at the table is a computer that's faster and slightly more efficient.

GoatLord said:

I have rarely seen such an astounding lack of imagination on the subject of a dream anything. All you guys are throwing at the table is a computer that's faster and slightly more efficient.

Well, MIPS is better!

GoatLord said:

Maybe we don't dream of having computers in every-fucking-thing around us like some sort of techtopian nightmare scenario.

BaronOfStuff said:

Maybe we don't dream of having computers in every-fucking-thing around us like some sort of techtopian nightmare scenario.

Considering that we're trying to use balloons to deliver wi-fi signals, and considering that living organisms are proving useful for executing computational tasks, is it really that crazy to imagine that the Internet will be everywhere (particularly every surface of any given building), instead of being restricted to devices?

BaronOfStuff said:

For example: our butts.

The computer i am using now is all i need now, until it is obsolete. honestly its pretty hard to think of a dream "PC" unless it has very specific use such as retro gaming.

I'm actually moving away from the digestible model to an external one. You don't have a physical object you hold and nothing has to be inserted into the body.

The human mind is the ultimate dream computer. You can't create the 'dream' computer without already possessing the 'dream' computer. Excluding the advanced alien dream computers that are clearly not advanced enough to make themselves known to us. Or they're so advanced they are already the seamless fabric of our reality... goddamn you pseudo existentialist consciousness threads.

GoatLord said:

Bullshit, have you not realized the might of the Schrodinger's Devil Machine?

Gameboy Color

I spent so much time on playing the Pokemon games. Geez, I was 7-10 then I got a Gameboy Advance that lasted a long time as well. Eventually I moved on to computer games again.

Fuckin Gameboy. One of the most reliable and addictive platforms, ever. So easy to learn and the story never stopped unfolding.

Jaxxoon R said:

Bullshit, have you not realized the might of the Schrodinger's Devil Machine?

Wait, what?

Aliotroph? said:

Anything less than brain augmentation is insufficient.

Are we talking about genetic code being altered, a cybernetic implant, a Matrix-like device one can plug into, or a fully biological implant?

TheCupboard said:

Gameboy Color

I spent so much time on playing the Pokemon games. Geez, I was 7-10 then I got a Gameboy Advance that lasted a long time as well. Eventually I moved on to computer games again.

Fuckin Gameboy. One of the most reliable and addictive platforms, ever. So easy to learn and the story never stopped unfolding.

What you want is a Gameboy Advance SP. There is no better console for playing GB/GBC/SGB games. Except maybe the GB Player for GameCube...

Sodaholic said:

Get a Sony WEGA (circa 04-06, no later) with HDMI input, problem solved. A CRT TV with progressive scan, probably the only place where the raw scanline effect of many emulators actually looks good!

And seriously, don't use the TV out on cards, they scale stuff stupidly. If you can find a way to run the game on a TV using native res or emulation thereof (like my above suggestion), you'll get far truer visuals.

Cheers for the tip, although I used to do exactly that on my old GFX5500 many moons ago. Granted, the desktop looked like shit and had to be blurred to all hell to prevent seizures, but when running the likes of ZSNES, Fusion or MAME in the game's native res, it actually looked reasonably authentic. I'd still happily play Q3A on it.

GoatLord said:

Considering that we're trying to use balloons to deliver wi-fi signals, and considering that living organisms are proving useful for executing computational tasks, is it really that crazy to imagine that the Internet will be everywhere (particularly every surface of any given building), instead of being restricted to devices?

Yes. Because in your example, you eat a plant, and well done you fucking idiot twat bastard you also just ate someone's internet access point right while they were in the middle of uploading something.

IPV6 makes it possible to have everything become an access point, but it's like having every blade of grass become a penis.

BaronOfStuff said:

Yes. Because in your example, you eat a plant, and well done you fucking idiot twat bastard you also just ate someone's internet access point right while they were in the middle of uploading something.

This is not the whole picture. In the human brain, individual neurons aren't very powerful, but because there are so many, and because they all connect to one another, you end up with a very efficient overall system, which is amplified by the redundant nature of brain cell functions. The Internet is sort of an embryonic version of this, except that the access points are a little too unevenly distributed. The idea is that you use completely biological means to create weak access points all across the globe, on both organic and nonorganic surfaces. If any given location has clusters and clusters of access points, that adds up to a very strong overall signal. There are also innovations in quantum mechanics (having to do with the manipulation of light) that will completely trump the current limitations imposed by standard fiber optic cables. The traffic of Internet data will continue to increase, but so will the speed of connections.