Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rodster

controlhq.wad - my first map, need feedback

Hello Doomworld Community,
I'm kinda new here and this is pretty much my first map. You'll need doom2.wad to play it. The map is made in Boom format. I'd appreciate Feedback and/or fda.

controlhqv4:
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=68125121319661868816

Little Update (19.09.2015 - v2):
-removed the "win10 sucks" texure, that wasn't intended to be in the final version lol
-i have to think a bit about the other stuff, i have some ideas but no concrete stuff

Update(06.03.2015 - v4):
-tried to put as much input as I could although I didn't change too much in the map. There are only minor changes and the fights also didn't change too much. I guess I'll leave it like that. I'm sure the feedback is going to help me a lot in my newer maps, thanks a lot again :)

Cheers

Nice job. I had to use saves, but I completed it. Figuring out a strat for the first rev/demon mob with the archies gave me way more trouble than everything else combined. Pretty uneven in places gameplay-wise and too many discordant visual themes, I think -- but some of the fights and all of the ideas are pretty sweet. The voodoo dolls and item teleports were well done. To use the cliche, nice job for a first wad.

I'd love to see a whole wad with the visual style of the outdoor area where the revs come popping up out of the ground and the cyber/crusher/hole arena, with whatever gameplay ideas you decide to implement.

FDA - after I recorded it, I played the map again with cheats to see the rest of the map. IMO, the initial fight against chaingunners was good, actually not as difficult as it appeared. However, once I figured out that the tiny items spread around the area are useless, I didn't bother collecting them anymore, as well as I didn't bother finishing off the imps and most of the chaingunners themselves. Then the Revenant encounter came, which was already too hard for me - I'm not a slaughterplayer, and the intended strategy seemed to require either sophisticated spam or master outrunning skill. I've found out that if the player Archvile-jumps into the switch container in the middle before the barrier lowers, he becomes stuck, which isn't good. I thought that the symmetry of the whole area was a letdown itself, I believe that level design is better without "gameplay symmetry", specially such blatant one as this. Also, the secrets contained items which didn't seem much useful for the player under the circumstances - which itself isn't a good thing - while trying to get them highly endangered the player due to all the monsters around - which also isn't good at all. The fights in the northern arena were too spammy for my taste, but perhaps they'd play well, I don't dare to judge their balance - as I said, I'm not a slaughterplayer. The very final Invulnerability giveaway spoiled what could be a fine last survival challenge, IMO, and turned it into an anticlimatic easy escape run - I'd do something about its balance while removing the Invulnerability.

Those are my thoughts, but once again, I'm not really competent in reviewing slaughtermaps. Anyway, the map looked good and gave me an overall good impression, barring a few letdowns that I mentioned. Great job for a first map!

Cool, Thanks a lot for the feedbacks and for the fda! :)
I will try to improve it and also fix that bug as soon as possible.
I'm not quite familiar with the term "game-balancing". If a game is balanced, does that mean that the game (in this case a map) has overall the same difficulty?
Should I also add different difficulty levels?

Cheers

nice first map. a sign of interesting things to come :D

here's a fda: http://www.mediafire.com/download/agdm2uqww9221ve/controlhq_fda_rbk.lmp

I die a bajillion times on the rev/demon fight, but after that it was pretty much smooth sailing until I died in the (presumably) final fight. some comments:

- opening fight is cool, but I started getting sick of replaying it over and over because...
- rev/demon fight! easily the hardest part of the map. I'd suggest either toning this down a little bit (more health peppered about the hallways?), or making the subsequent fights harder
- cyb/infight room: no complaints here, standard stuff, lots of space to move, no problem. At this point I really would've liked a ssg to finish off the cyb though.
- demon/rev pt2: easy fight, also you can cheese those demons if you have leftover ammo, makes it much easier to run for the PG. not sure if that was intended.
- final fight: I really liked the idea of the PE/cyb/caco combo combined with the death-pits, nice and hectic. And it's definitely suitable that other stuff eventually teles in. I ended up dying because I was in the ammo closet the moment 4 AVs teled in and fried me. That slightly felt like bullshit, there wasn't really a clear indication of where enemies will come from. But I guess it was mostly just bad luck that I happened to be in that exact spot at the time.

overall interesting. visually it's a mess (lol at the win10 sucks texture btw), but it's cool to see someone's first map have decently competent slaughter-style gameplay (which is very easy to get wrong, so I get the feeling you're pretty good at the game)

The detailing was nice, but I couldn't get past the first rev/demon fight lol
I'm not really a fan of slaugher stuff too, though

Thanks a lot for the detailed feedbacks and also for the 2nd fda :)
I'll try to put in as much of it as i can.
Although, it might take me some time.. unfortunately i am not mapping too frequently.

For now, i have removed the "win10 sucks" texture because that wasn't intended to be there at all. Sorry, if it annoyed someone.

Cheers