Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
timmie

Hello!

Ugh, sorry for the lack of updates lately. Work has been hell :~( The big project we're working on will be over on August 4 though, so my schedule can finally go back to normal (it's been out of whack for a couple months now).

Anyway, here's what I'm working on right now:

- proper ZDoom hi-res texture support (I thought this was working, but on further examination it wasn't). This means rewriting a bunch of the texture loading, but when I'm done will also open doors for other things (more in a bit)
- getting the damn 3D bridges working properly. It's *this* close to being done, but it's not quite there yet
- real skies (not the cheezy placeholder crap I have in there right now)

I also just got ZDoom 1.23 Final in the old email today, so I'm going to move everything to that. Hopefully that won't take too long, since the new GL path is more clearly defined than the old ZDoomGL (I am still planning to enable the switching of rendering engines in game).

I've also been thinking about how the best way to add support for special effects for textures and whatnot while still making it easy on mappers. I think what I'm going to go with is an ini file for each wad. The ini file could define stuff like which actors are lights, effects to apply to textures and whatnot. For instance:

Texture effects:
[texname_TEX]
hires=textures/texname.tga (hi-res textures)
envmap=1 (environment map the texture)
light=0.0 1.0 0.0 5.0 (light value for texture in RGB/distance format)

[flatname_FLAT]
hires=textures/texname.tga (hi-res textures)
envmap=1 (environment map the texture)
light=0.0 1.0 0.0 5.0 (light value for texture in RGB/distance format)

Map settings:
[MAP01]
enviromap=textures/envmap.tga

This would be in a file called wadname.ini, which ZDoomGL would read when adding the wad. By doing this, mappers could specify how they want a map to look and provide nice textures with the distribution without stepping on other peoples toes. It's just a working idea right now, but it sounds interesting.

And that's about where things stand right now...

Sounds very good!

However, IMO the idea with the .ini files is bad: when you've got many wads that use those .ini files, it will get very crowded. Why not simply make ZDoomGL read this information out of a lump in the .wad, as it is done with other lumps like SNDINFO already?

boris said:

Sounds very good!

However, IMO the idea with the .ini files is bad: when you've got many wads that use those .ini files, it will get very crowded. Why not simply make ZDoomGL read this information out of a lump in the .wad, as it is done with other lumps like SNDINFO already?

Well, it's still a working idea... The reasons I considered going with ini files are 1) they're simple to work with, and I like that and 2) if you supply textures and whatnot there's going to be a bunch of extra files anyway. But using a lump would definitely be cleaner and would probably allow easier control of individual maps for mappers...

Ok, on further thought, I'll go with a big default ini file like the old "lights.ini" or "md2.ini" (for normal usage), and also support reading the data out of a new lump so mappers can have complete control over how their map looks (dynamic lights, environment maps [which I'm messing around with right now], and whatnot). Sound good?

What sort of effects would you like to see for the textures? This would apply to all textures (flats and wall textures), btw. I've already got environment mapping, hi-res texture name and dynamic lighting down on the to do list :)

The probably best way to handle extra hi-res textures and whatever .inis and stuff would be a q3-like system. I.e. reading all the stuff out of a .zip file. This won't crowd up everything, and will also safe a lot of disk space :)

AndrewB said:

Pf, I'm looking forward to the new ZDoomGL about 5x as much as Doom 3.

Wtf? Why?

timmie said:

Well, it's still a working idea... The reasons I considered going with ini files are 1) they're simple to work with, and I like that and 2) if you supply textures and whatnot there's going to be a bunch of extra files anyway. But using a lump would definitely be cleaner and would probably allow easier control of individual maps for mappers...

think about it; even things as big as TCs and megawads in doom are easy to handle because they fit into one .wad file. all these .ini files and .tga files and whatever would start to crowd things up fast and defeat the point of having .wadfiles in the first place.

esayeek said:

think about it; even things as big as TCs and megawads in doom are easy to handle because they fit into one .wad file. all these .ini files and .tga files and whatever would start to crowd things up fast and defeat the point of having .wadfiles in the first place.

Unless the TC makers shoved the .ini and .tga files into the wad.