Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
scifista42

Doomworld Mega Project 2015 - Now on /idgames

I've decided that I wanna drop out of the project. I realize that the rules state that any and all maps would be accepted, regardless of quality, but I'm not confident enough in my mapping skills.

This map started off as a speedmap inspired by Alfonzo's entry to the 5th Abyssal Speedmapping Session, but I've decided to finish this thing up at my own pace and donate it to this little project. The map is a bit difficult and it also surprisingly works in chocolate doom, since it has a low linedef count with the map only having simple details all around. The wad does not contain any new textures, but a custom sky patch is there as a placeholder, since I'm not really a fan of Doom 2's E1 sky. There are no difficulty settings in this map, mainly because I'm too lazy to implement them myself. If there's anything that needs changing, please let me know.

Heat Amplifier
Format - Vanilla
Built time - 2 days
Music - "Pissed!" - Duke Nukem 3D

DragonMorpheus said:

I've decided that I wanna drop out of the project. I realize that the rules state that any and all maps would be accepted, regardless of quality, but I'm not confident enough in my mapping skills.

That would be a shame, especially since you've already posted your map. You know, the goal of this project is to accumulate maps from as many people as possible. Every Doomworlder of whatever mapping skill or forum membership duration has one mapslot reserved here. The rule about no quality control exists precisely to encourage everyone to contribute his map. So, I don't understand your reason for dropping. Before I do any action, I must ask if you're sure. Please confirm again or take back your decision.

Breezeep said:

Heat Amplifier
Format - Vanilla
Built time - 2 days
Music - "Pissed!" - Duke Nukem 3D

FDA, recorded in Chocolate Doom 2.0. I died very early (I was distracted because I accidentally muted sound on my computer), then again several times and didn't finish the map. The music was unusually quiet in Chocolate Doom compared to PrBoom-plus. The map was fun, the encounters did a good job at keeping me moving. Thanks for contributing.

scifista42 said:

That would be a shame, especially since you've already posted your map. You know, the goal of this project is to accumulate maps from as many people as possible. Every Doomworlder of whatever mapping skill or forum membership duration has one mapslot reserved here. The rule about no quality control exists precisely to encourage everyone to contribute his map. So, I don't understand your reason for dropping. Before I do any action, I must ask if you're sure. Please confirm again or take back your decision.

Yeah, I'm sure. I simply feel like I could do a lot better. I may join a future DMP project once my skills improve.

OK. So now we are back to having 19 map submissions in total. It's not many, compared to previous year's DMPs that always featured at least twice more maps at the end of the year, and this year is already in its 2/3. I still hope for getting more submissions, so, literally EVERYBODY who reads this and haven't already, feel free to make and submit a map!

So, this is a map come out after my experience with the "April Fools STARTAN Maps of Any Quality", where the main object of this CP was to make a level using mostly the Doom Builder default textures (STARTAN3, CEIL1_1 and FLOOR0_1), so since my map for that project don't had a huge positive feedback at the time (eh, who cares) and then i've got this idea: "Hey, how the hell will appear a map that uses some other fairly hated and obscure textures, like BLAKWALL and SP_FACE2?", and so...

Here, the results of my sick experiments!

Be careful, this map you need use jumping in some parts, so have it in mind!

Title: black Plague (or some kind of other generic title)

Build Time: 6 months mostly wasted out, just rushed out in these days...

Format: Gzdoom in UDMF format

New textures: Yes, A pair from UDET.WAD and sky from Skulltag wad (or eternal, if you like), i found the other textures from Internet searching...

New music: "Anything but Tangerines" from Earthworm Jim 2, courtesy of VGMusic.com and D_E1M2 from Doom, courtesy of Bobby Prince
No skill implementation added for now, expect for one imp at the beginning...

Fun map, walter. Just few notes: When I jumped onto the (alive) Mancubus in the outdoor room before blue door, I jumped off the platform in order to avoid him and become stuck on a lowered bridge down there, because I didn't even see the switch that I needed to press beforehand. It would be better if you prevented this from happening, so that the player couldn't get stuck. Also the lift to the very first "Medikit on a crate" secret is a one time only lift, I know, it's a less important flaw.

Here's my entry, it is a little different to the usual from me, as it is a homage to some of the work of Erik Alm. This homage is mostly based on one of my favourite maps from Scythe.

3000CB

http://www.mediafire.com/download/9cgqjp98767sk93/3000CB.wad

Limit removing as there are a couple of spots where I breach the drawsegs limit the only addition to the file is the sky (just stock doom 2 textures otherwise).

Enjoy.

cannonball said:

Here's my entry, it is a little different to the usual from me, as it is a homage to some of the work of Erik Alm.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/9cgqjp98767sk93/3000CB.wad

FDA - I played cowardly and died 2 times anyway, but finished the level. You say different from your usual? I was actually reminded of your early wads by this map, as I liked them for their bright aesthetic style, "laid-back" atmosphere, and non-slaughterish while challenging gameplay - and the same qualities were present here. The only thing that slightly spoiled this feel for me was that this map had linear progression, even if the layout gradually opened up, but only on places that I didn't need to revisit anymore. Anyway, it was well balanced and enjoyable to fight through. Thanks for making.

My contribution to the CP, aka Arch'Cult.

Link to the wad: https://www.dropbox.com/s/mi2r56x6qucl8k3/ArchCult.wad?dl=0

The map is limit-removing, mostly set up in a outdoors, natural environment.

For the little background story (because I always map with a little story on the back of my head), while the earth is still in the process of rebuilding itself after the hell invasion, our brave Doomguy is sent in deepest devasted Europe to stop a satanic cult from trying to reopen a portal to the other world. Nothing very original, but it sets up the mood anyway.

Not a hard map I think, apart maybe for the final "boss".

Tested on Pr-Boom+ and GZDoom.

Oh and it's my first map ever released, so it's a big test for me as well! :)

scifista42 said:

OK. So now we are back to having 19 map submissions in total. It's not many, compared to previous year's DMPs that always featured at least twice more maps at the end of the year, and this year is already in its 2/3. I still hope for getting more submissions, so, literally EVERYBODY who reads this and haven't already, feel free to make and submit a map!

A lot of submissions tend to rock up at the end of the year anyway don't they?
I gave up trying to make something new, so I'm just remaking my D2INO map for this instead, since that doesn't require too much thought about "what should I do next." Hopefully it'll be good this time :P

tomatoKetchup said:

My contribution to the CP, aka Arch'Cult.

Link to the wad: https://www.dropbox.com/s/mi2r56x6qucl8k3/ArchCult.wad?dl=0

FDA, recorded in PrBoom-plus -complevel 2, did not finish. I liked what I've seen of it so far, I just wasn't in a mood for retrying after I died, but I will try to play through it all later. Visuals were impressive a lot, and gameplay was of the better kind of average, IMO. Ammo was balanced tightly, which may be a letdown for some players, but I've considered it well done. The Caco swarm encounter acts like a pressure to make the player speed up exploring the area, which is cool and you should totally keep it in - it was the map's best run-and-gun moment so far. Other areas were too pro-camping in comparison, which is noticeably less exciting - whenever you try to run forward, you get sniped from somewhere - I found this to be a minor flaw, though. Good work, and as I said, I'll play the rest later.

scifista42 said:

FDA, recorded in PrBoom-plus -complevel 2, did not finish. I liked what I've seen of it so far, I just wasn't in a mood for retrying after I died, but I will try to play through it all later. Visuals were impressive a lot, and gameplay was of the better kind of average, IMO. Ammo was balanced tightly, which may be a letdown for some players, but I've considered it well done. The Caco swarm encounter acts like a pressure to make the player speed up exploring the area, which is cool and you should totally keep it in - it was the map's best run-and-gun moment so far. Other areas were too pro-camping in comparison, which is noticeably less exciting - whenever you try to run forward, you get sniped from somewhere - I found this to be a minor flaw, though. Good work, and as I said, I'll play the rest later.

Thanks for the feedback, I watched your FDA, you started well but found the Plasma Gun a bit late in the Caco area, which makes me think it would be fairer to give it to the player before the Cacos appear. Anyway it's very constructive to see other players testing cause these things don't cross your mind when you know already the map by heart. Looking forward to see how you get on for the rest of the map.

You raised a good point about the camping-inciting layout of the map, and I know there is other parts of the map with the same issue, and that something I find hard to get over so I need a bit of practice for that. You also run out of ammo quite quickly so it might need a bit more bullets boxes around that main area.

I take note of everything anyway and may make some adjustments latter on.

And thanks walter for the compliment as well :)

I also found out that if you run the FDA on another wad, it will just play your recorded actions on a totally different map, which is pretty weird. Are the monsters not supposed to move randomly?

How come, if you play the same FDA several times, the result on screen is always the same?

Your map looks like it's made by mouldy, yes the guy with the videos.

EDIT:If you wanna discuss demos, go to the doom speed demos forum over here.

A demo for TomatoKetchup's map : https://www.mediafire.com/?np5dp8evevnxa74
It's a promising map for a starter but sometimes the gameplay just involves peekaboo shooting and it gets bland to play after a while, I'd also say to put some more health in the spectre trench where I died in, you'll never know what you'll see when you fall down into a hole.
I also disliked the jumpmaze section in the ashwalls, it's so annoying when you fall down into the water a number of times, you should connect the ashwalls and not put any cracks where you can fall in.

Here a couple of bugs as well :
This bleeding sector at the start.

These zombies can't shoot you because they're standing on the edges and the revenant doesn't stand on the edge.

dt_ said:

Scifista, you still taking maps on for this?

Sure, there is still enough time until the end of 2015.

tomatoKetchup said:

I also found out that if you run the FDA on another wad, it will just play your recorded actions on a totally different map, which is pretty weird. Are the monsters not supposed to move randomly?

How come, if you play the same FDA several times, the result on screen is always the same?

Doom uses a Pseudo Random Number Generator, which gives away "random" numbers always in the same order. Various events in the game call this PRNG, but as long as they all call it in the same order and with the same timing, the overall outcome will always be the same. It really is enough to record player's actions and just let the game flow naturally while replaying the demo, because the always-same PRNG will take care of "sync". This is the principle of Doom .lmp demos, and also why changes to the map will almost certainly cause demos to "desync" - a change can be tiny, or it can be an entirely different whole map, it doesn't matter.

Now, tomatoKetchup, to your map:

In my next playthrough, I took different paths than previously. I was surprised how the map ended up to be open, exploratory, non-linear and even very atmospheric, I didn't expect that. I also didn't lack ammo anymore after I took those other paths. The map was excellent, except the following: Some staircases were narrow AND with low ceiling, which made my movement uncomfortable or even made me stuck for a few seconds, like the staircase out of yellow key area. Red door is being opened by a yellow key, surely a mistake. The final Archvile fight was cool (a little annoying to actually fight, but unique + exciting anyway and I liked it), but the way out of the area was bugged: Pressing the main altar multiple times caused the stairs to raise too high for the player to step on. Now a few other, relatively minor flaws: Stuck Zombies on a waterfall that joe-ilya already reported, a Pain Elemental who spawns after you grab Rocket Launcher but cannot harm you because he's behind a fence, and the caged Revenants in the water abyss area don't seem to attack at all. It would be good if you fixed these. To be honest, I don't think you need to fix anything else. Otherwise this map is pretty well done. Thanks for making!

Thanks Joe for your feedback. Well spotted the bleeding, turned out to be a node issue (not surprising seen the complex geometry of that part of the map), it's been fixed, as well as the blocked zombie.

I agree with you about the "shoot and hide" layout, that is something I need to work on for my next maps.

I understand your frustration about falling in the ravine part. I'm not gonna rework the layout though, just bugfix the map, rebalance item/monster placement then move on. :)

scifista42 said:

Doom uses a Pseudo Random Number Generator, which gives away "random" numbers always in the same order. Various events in the game call this PRNG, but as long as they all call it in the same order and with the same timing, the overall outcome will always be the same. It really is enough to record player's actions and just let the game flow naturally while replaying the demo, because the always-same PRNG will take care of "sync". This is the principle of Doom .lmp demos, and also why changes to the map will almost certainly cause demos to "desync" - a change can be tiny, or it can be an entirely different whole map, it doesn't matter.

Alright, interesting to know, thanks for clearing out.

scifista42 said:

In my next playthrough, I took different paths than previously. I was surprised how the map ended up to be open, exploratory, non-linear and even very atmospheric, I didn't expect that. I also didn't lack ammo anymore after I took those other paths. The map was excellent, except the following: Some staircases were narrow AND with low ceiling, which made my movement uncomfortable or even made me stuck for a few seconds, like the staircase out of yellow key area. Red door is being opened by a yellow key, surely a mistake. The final Archvile fight was cool (a little annoying to actually fight, but unique + exciting anyway and I liked it), but the way out of the area was bugged: Pressing the main altar multiple times caused the stairs to raise too high for the player to step on. Now a few other, relatively minor flaws: Stuck Zombies on a waterfall that joe-ilya already reported, a Pain Elemental who spawns after you grab Rocket Launcher but cannot harm you because he's behind a fence, and the caged Revenants in the water abyss area don't seem to attack at all. It would be good if you fixed these. To be honest, I don't think you need to fix anything else. Otherwise this map is pretty well done. Thanks for making!

I'm glad you liked it. Thanks for spotting those major issues that I totally missed for some reason. The altar bug and red door opened with yellow key were fixed, the staircase after the yellow were widened, the pain elemental can now pass through the fence.

My only concern is about the Revenants, they do attack me when I test with prBoom+, I wonder if it's a complevel issue. Though I tried with complevel 2 like you and they attacked me.
Just to be sure, to play complevel 2, you need to add "-complevel 2" after "prBoomplus.exe" and before "-iwad", right?

It shouldn't matter in which order you call parameters, as long as all of them are after "prboom-plus.exe" and their syntax is correct.

The Revenants don't attack me in any complevel and port I've tried: PrBoom-plus -complevel 2, PrBoom-plus -complevel 9, ZDoom and Zandronum.

Just to prevent misunderstanding, I'm talking about this Revenant and his colleague on the opposite side of the rock.