Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
shadowrider78

what is the strongest metal in doom?

well it's just as the title says,I want to know what the strongest metal in doom is and if it is based on a real life metal or if it is a fictional metal and how strong it is and if doomguy is able to do any sort of damage to it.

It's D_E3M8. It is based on a real metal. Doomguy cannot damage it because it isn't part of a monster.

SFoZ911 said:

I'd say METAL2 is the strongest, able to withstand infinite rockets without a dent.

pfff, too rusty. SHAWN2 is impervious to everything, even the elements.

Doomguy is unable to damage anything else than things with a SHOOTABLE flag set, such as monsters and barrels. Oh, and dropped items and corpses can be crushed, regardless of what they appear to be composed of. Everything else is infinitely strong and undestroyable.

met·al
ˈmedl/
noun
noun: metal; plural noun: metals

a solid material that is typically hard, shiny, malleable, fusible, and ductile, with good electrical and thermal conductivity (e.g., iron, gold, silver, copper, and aluminum, and alloys such as brass and steel).
"vessels made of ceramics or metal"
Heraldry
gold and silver (as tinctures in blazoning).
British
broken stone for use in making roads.

So I'm gonna vote BSTONE1! :)

The reason everything is so strong is because underneath everything is Void.

Some say in ancient times, there were those that could ram into a corner and slip into the void, but this was usually suicide, and there was typically no way back in. This trick is called "Void Gliding."

Therefore, with the proper architecture, Doomguy is strong enough to tear through to the space between worlds.

you know what just send it to hell if you feel like it doesn't belong here,I knew it was a stupid question but just decided to try and find out what the toughest metal was in the doom universe.

shadowrider78 said:

you know what just send it to hell if you feel like it doesn't belong here,I knew it was a stupid question but just decided to try and find out what the toughest metal was in the doom universe.

Serious answer then: there's no mention of special metals in either classic Doom or Doom 3. So, without some unobtainium being shoehorned into the plot, just assume it's the same metals as in the real world, and so the strongest you can get is tungsten (by itself) or titanium diboride (if alloys with non-metals are allowed).

Well as far as I know aside from in Doom 3 we aren't even told about any new types of metal that don't exist today, so it is a very odd question.

I would hazard a guess that anything forged within hell would be a 'hell' of a lot tougher than anything we can brew up here, forging at much higher temperatures for one, and infusing it with 'god knows what' demon-magic + whatever natural undiscovered elements are kicking around down there.

So any demon cybernetics I would imagine would be much tougher than our own.

(Also the structures in hell I could see being nigh indestructible if they can withstand the weather conditions down there.)

EDIT:

Here's a thought, do the demons even work in 'materials' or is everything generated through some kind of psychic/demonic energy 'A Nightmare on Elm Street' style, if so then its limitations are probably set by the creators imagination, if they believe its impenetrable when its conceived then it will be. (This theory backs up why zombie men can fire all the ammo in the world and still have their spare ammo on them when they die and why the Cyberdemon can fire with no ammo holders BUT it does fall down as far as structures are concerned because we do see the tower of babel being built by and with something.)

All of the materials used in the construction of Doom (TM) levels are nigh indestructible. They must be a nightmare for the contractors/builders that use them, though. How can they e.g. cut a tile or brick to the desired dimensions, or drive a nail through a wooden beam, if it's impervious to rockets and BFG blasts? And the mortar/cement used must also have nearly zero workability, setting in mere minutes. Also, everything must be of an extremely high density.

Perhaps more relevant to the OT would be to identify what real materials the various surfaces might represent or be based off. Some textures really look like brushed metal, others like satin-finished metal (presumably stainless steel), while some other "metal" textures (like end-level doors) are not metal at all, even though they were based off real photos (one door is actually made from a toy "space gun"!)

Rockets look to me like steel painted in desert drab paint, while for some reason, I always thought of bullet boxes as being made of green cloth, not metal: real life metal ammo boxes are a different shade of green (olive drab).

Then there are a lot of partially rusted panels or primer-painted steel textures used for beams, techbases, etc.

I'd be interesting for somebody to add a Metroid Prime style scan visor to Doom and just put fanfic on everything in the environment. Scanning the blue carpet in E1M1 would tell you all about the UAC's standard corporate carpeting styles and policies, for example :P

Doom is made of "Judas Priest" type of Metal:

everthing is made of indestrictuble metal expect you, your enemies (oh well, even some of them have metal) that will release oceans of blood splattered over iron metal walls, misses only an Harley and a leather jacket to be a true Judas Priest metal, but that can be added via mod

Maes said:

I always thought of bullet boxes as being made of green cloth, not metal: real life metal ammo boxes are a different shade of green (olive drab)

Maybe in the present, but in the future, any colour is possible!

...as long as it conforms to the limitations of any given 256-colour palette currently being used.

Well, they could have given it a more realistic shade of green with the One True Doom Palette (TM) if they wished to. Also, the rocket box, despite being wooden (?) hardly looks like any of the other wood textures. Now that I think about it, the pickup ammo sprites look kinda rushed.

I've always imagined Doom's ammo pickups (all ones except single shells and single rockets) to be plastic. Or at best, plastic with a metallic admixture, whatever it means.

Doomkid said:

A magnesium based alloy.

I don't know if this is a serious answer, but I'll disagree and say titanium anyway.

The thing that got me asking about this was because the doomguy is able to punch the cyber demon and spider mastermind to death with and without the beserkerpack (in the games other than doom 3 anyway)even though they have metallic parts attached to them and that those parts are able to withstand the temperature of hell without melting got me thinking on what they might be made of and if they are a fictional type of metal that was created or if there is something we can relate it to in the real world and if they were the toughest in the doom universe.

shadowrider78 said:

The thing that got me asking about this was because the doomguy is able to punch the cyber demon and spider mastermind to death with and without the beserkerpack

Well, the Cyberdemon has a vulnerable spot at just the right height for Doomguy's fist of fury ;-)

The Spiderdemon, I don't think it's even possible to punch it or attack via melee, at least from certain angles (e.g. watch this Doom Extra Hard demo, where a Spiderdemon blocks the beginning of E2M1, and it's impossible to kill)

Why is the MIDI so high pitched in that video, Maes?

Also, I always pictured the green ammo boxes as being wooden and the rocket boxes as being plastic. It's funny how different brains interpret these things.

Due to extensive research done by the University of Pittsburgh, diamond has been confirmed as the hardest metal known to man. The research is as follows:

Pocket-protected scientists built a wall made of iron and crashed a diamond car into it at 400 miles per hour, and the car was unharmed. They then built a wall out of diamond and crashed a car made of iron moving at 400 miles an hour into the wall, and the wall came out fine. They then crashed a diamond car made of 400 miles per hour into a wall, and there were no survivors. They crashed 400 miles per hour into a diamond travelling at iron car. Western New York was powerless for hours. They rammed a wall made of metal into 400 miles an hour made of diamond, and the resulting explosion shifted earths orbit 400 million miles away from the sun, saving the earth from a meteor the size of a small Washington suburb that was hurtling towards mid-western Prussia at 400 billion miles an hour. They shot a diamond made of iron at a car moving at 400 walls per hour, and as a result caused over 10000 wayward planes to lose track of their bearings, and make a fatal crash with over 10000 buildings in downtown New York. They spun 400 miles at diamond into iron per wall. The results were inconclusive. Finally, they placed 400 diamonds per hour in front of a car made of wall travelling at miles per iron, and the result proved with out a doubt that diamonds were the hardest metal of all time, if not just the hardest metal known to man.