Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
june gloom

Eternal Doom III map names/intermission text? (Mapinfo?)

I feel a tad silly starting a new thread so soon after the last, but I've spent all evening looking for the proper text lump for Eternal Doom III that adds the map names and intermission text. Is there even one?

I was actually working on one some while ago, but when I got stuck in the last third, I stopped with it. There are no intermission texts for this so that I wanted to come up with some of my own. Maybe I will finish this during the weekend when I have enough time to play. IIRC only 1 intermission (the last one) was missing.

Anyway, a level list IS included with the release you can download on idgames. "eternal.lev" should include all the info for the levels, but no intermission texts. It's not written in any format that can be understood by source ports or even the original executables, it's just a readme file.

I really wish all the old classics would get updated with things like this.

I quite enjoyed Hell to Pay with Blue Fire's touch-up mod.

OK, folks, here it is. Has the two bonus levels arranged so that you can play them conveniently from within the ingame menu, along with the original ED3 campaign.

MAPINFO for Eternal Doom III (eternall_fix.wad, 175 KB)

[TinyUpload.com mirror]

What is included:
> DEHACKED for level names and intermission texts
> [ZDoom only] MAPINFO for selecting ED3 and bonus levels CyberSweeper/Credits as separate episodes
> Widescreen HUD (will not work in Chocolate Doom)

How to run it:
> In the root dir, you should have ETERNALL.WAD and ETERNALL_FIX.WAD
> Put CSWEEPER.WAD and CREDITS.WAD into a "maps" subdir.
> Zip these and name the file like ETERNAL.PK3 (up to you).
> Run it with Doom II and your favorite source port (preferrably ZDoom) and enjoy.

Please note that ED3 did NOT have any intermission texts in its original relase. The storyline has been completely invented by myself and added to fit the levels.

I updated the files a bit since I noticed some minor issues. The two bonus levels were using the INTERPIC from eternall.wad which wasn't exactly intended (solved with exitpic code in MAPINFO and separate/renamed INTERPIC lumps).

Changes:
> Minor improvements applied to left panel of widescreen HUD
> Custom INTERPICS for CyberSweeper/Credits maps restored

NightFright said:

OK, folks, here it is. For your convenience, you can either just get the fix file itself or a full release with the original wads I have compiled on my own, ready to use with ZDoom (and compatible).

ETERNAL.TXT said:

Do not include ETERNAL.WAD or materials extracted from it with any levels you distribute.

ETERNAL.WAD is for your viewing pleasure only. We wouldn't like it if you messed with it.

I am not including new levels. This is an arrangement in order to improve the presentation of the wad. Original files have not been touched.

Since I am not sure whether the widescreen HUD I included counts as "messing" with the WAD however, I have removed the full release and replaced it with instructions how to create the pack on your own.

NightFright said:

> [ZDoom only] MAPINFO for selecting ED3 and bonus levels CyberSweeper/Credits as separate episodes
> Widescreen HUD (will not work in Chocolate Doom)

Thanks! But what about those ones? Especially the MAPINFO.

In this case the dehacked patch will do the same thing of the mapinfo, and it works also with zdoom if that's your concern.

Yeah, it works fine for Eternal but I want to play at "Cyber Sweeper" and "Credits" levels the way NightFright mentionned it.

Thenuke said:

Yeah, it works fine for Eternal but I want to play at "Cyber Sweeper" and "Credits" levels the way NightFright mentionned it.

God, I hate it when I see something and think "I have very little free time, but I can fix that. That's easy," and start working on it and find issues I didn't know were there and fix those which breaks something else and fixing those problems creates more problems and I CAN'T STOP UNTIL IT'S DONE!!!.

I haven't played Eternal Doom III again since it was first released. I remember looking at the Dehacked that was released for it and being annoyed. All the intermission texts were like "Hope you're having fun. This is who we are. Send us an e-mail and tell us how great Eternal Doom III is."

I was surprised no one had actually decided to incorporate the Bonus Maps into ED3. The "Restrictions" are a bit disingenuous. Inside Eternall.wad are two graphics, EXITFR32 (Exit From 32), and EXITFR33 (Exit From 33). The first says "Now Entering Cybersweeper." The second says "Now entering CREDITS". So at some point Team TNT had planned to include the Bonus Maps as part of Eternall.wad. I can understand why they didn't. Requiring the user to patch a 25MB wad every time he used the included RANCY.EXE (RANdomize CYbersweeper) to create a new version of that map would have been too much, and with Mapinfo not existing at the time, there was no way to have Doom go to another map after MAP30 using just Dehacked (unless they hardcoded that into their ESHELL.EXE program. Don't know.)

So I thought I'd address the issue.

1. The two exit graphics I referred to should have gone at the ends of MAP32 and MAP30 to be consistent.
2. The "Restrictions" were specific to Eternall.wad and didn't mention the Bonus Maps.
3. I did not touch Eternall.wad, or extract anything from it. It is still required to play these maps.

There's no place to put the "Now Entering" graphic at the end of MAP30, so I edited MAP34 to place it outside the first door (also raised the light level on Romero. A God should be brighter).

Tried to place the other graphic at the start of MAP33, edit the exit to show the EXITFR15 graphic, and raise the instructions graphic on the wall (it's a little low). This is where the problems came in. When you walk into the map, all the numbers light up, but there is no corresponding increased light level on the floor. Didn't know how he did that in 1997. After I made my edits and saved the map, I found out. When Jim Flynn built the map, he improperly drew the sectors, overlapping them (on purpose, I assume). Inside each box he drew a single unbroken teleport line crossing multiple sectors, overlapping those too. Saving the map broke lots of teleport linedefs. I re-drew all the box interiors and teleports, then found the numbers weren't lighting up anymore. I eventually scrapped it and added a Language entry to take the place of the two map credit graphics, using the original Cybersweeper map here. This map can't be edited easily.

And if any Team TNT people see this, take a bow. You guys REALLY knew the ins and outs of the Doom engine before anyone else. I'm still trying to understand why you can't kill Romero with Rockets at the end of MAP34. None of the linedefs are tagged impassable, and there are no blocking walls. Yet you can't hit him with projectiles. Only a BFG will kill him.

So, TL;DR. Here. A fix wad for ZDoom to put Cybersweeper and Credits back in their proper place as MAP33 and MAP34 of Eternall.wad, using only a few minor edits. Cybersweeper is no longer an interactive game which can be randomized every time. The Rancy program was written for DOS. Unless some enterprising programmer wants to decompile and re-write it for 32/64-bit Windows, Cybersweeper will remain a static puzzle map. I did not create a 'story' or add new Intermission texts. I'd have to re-play the whole thing to do that. If someone has NightFright's original fix, I'd love to see those and add them here. Otherwise, write your own. Using my Mapinfo and Language entries as a template, you should be able to write new C1 to C6 texts for Doom2 clusters 5 to 10.

And that's my point. id let us play with their toys. So play. If you want to see something done, learn how to do it. I'm learning Decorate now. I've already submitted two monsters to Realm667, I'm working on four more, two weapons, some textures, decorations and a few items/power-ups/downs. No project in mind, just playing. Knowledge is power. Learn. Do.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/tinjtp5oxp70dp7/ed3-fix.zip

Sorry Effingham for not being a ZDOOM modder. ^^'

NightFright said:

I have reuploaded my file. Links in my original post are updated. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

Thanks!

NightFright said:

I have reuploaded my file. Links in my original post are updated. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

Thanks! I love these "fix" WADs. Question, though: why do I not get the Eternal Doom III/Credits menu in GZDoom, though it shows up in ZDoom? (Not that I'd use GZDoom for Eternal, as it has problems with a couple of levels.)

(Also, a quick note: at some point I downloaded your fixes for other WADs. When I played MM2 earlier this year, I noticed that your pack was showing the music titles instead of the level titles. Dunno if you corrected this at some point, and I just grabbed and old file? but thought I'd give you a heads-up just in case.)

I got around to reading NightFright's original intermission texts. Nice writing. Good Story! So I adjusted my intermission texts to try and make them sound better. Also edited Mapinfo to make sure all intermisison texts show up. Never realized that if a map has an exittext, it's ignored if the next map has an entertext. No other changes.

However, the dramatist in me is suggesting I change the linedefs in front of Romero in MAP34 to Impact Switches, so when the player tries to kill him with rockets, it opens closets and monsters teleport into the map just outside the building. They couldn't get past the Red Key door, so there's no danger, and eventually the player will use the BFG and kill Romero, ending the game; or bow down before him in obeisance. I just like the perceived final threat and puzzle. And the moral quandry of what to do.

I won't do it, because I felt uncomfortable enough making the minor edits to 'Credits' that I did. Technically, the edits are completely unnecessary and don't affect the game. The 'Now Entering' text could have been put into the C9TEXT and my 'fix' could have been just the Mapinfo, Dehacked and Language lumps with detailed instructions on how to edit/rename the Bonus map files to make it all work together. But I'd still like to fix the open sector/number lighting issues with Csweeper so it can use the already-existing enter/exit graphics from Eternall.wad. It would make the map fit in better and I can edit the credits out of the Language lump and Dehacked. Maybe just for myself since the map works fine as is.

Wow, I do talk, don't I? Must come from growing up an only child. A sad, lonely, only child whose parents didn't hold him enough...{sob}

TL;DR

So, to recap:

If you want to play the bonus maps as separate episodes, use NightFright's fix.

If you want to play them as part of Eternal Doom III, use my fix and add the C1-C6TEXTS from NightFright's Dehacked. ZDoom is fine with multiple Dehacked entries. Pr-Boom only uses the last Dehacked it finds, so you'll have to combine them.

I also feel the need to apologize to NightFright. I didn't mean to step onto your turf, if fixing up old wads is your thing. I just didn't know if you're someone who updates broken links, and I saw a need I could fill.

Link:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/s50ga267tskg24r/ed3-fix2.zip

Edit: I just saw Salt-Man Z's post. You do have fixes for other wads?

I just did a search for your name and Memento and couldn't find what he was referring to. What other wads have you fixed up?

@ EffinghamHuffnagel:
A general thing you should know about me: I never abandon my projects. :P I keep regular track of what's happening in the Doomworld, ZDoom, Duke4.net and QuakeOne forums (where I already released stuff), and if any of my old threads gets bumped, I am always paying attention. Anyway, I don't mind if you go for your own approach, that's the beauty of community projects. ^^

@ Salt-Man Z:
Can you make a screenshot of MM2 to illustrate what you mean? Right now, I have no idea what could cause this. I am using GZDoom by myself and I don't have any significant problem with the file - however, I have to admit I am not sure if it is still the same as the one I uploaded back then.

Try this one:
<LINK REMOVED, CORRECT LINK SEE POST BELOW>

Guess the only thing I changed was to add a widescreen statusbar, but I may be wrong.
I don't see however how the code should have changed in the meantime. Actually I even used the newer MAPINFO syntax already to make sure it doesn't become deprecated.

One of these days I may update this package with more files. For example I made a really nice update for H2H-Xmas with a complete (and kinda funny) story and also fixes for some really bugged maps (missing textures, sprite realignments etc).

NightFright said:

@ Salt-Man Z:
Can you make a screenshot of MM2 to illustrate what you mean? Right now, I have no idea what could cause this. I am using GZDoom by myself and I don't have any significant problem with the file - however, I have to admit I am not sure if it is still the same as the one I uploaded back then.

I can't; I went in with Slade and corrected the names myself. If it helps, I'm like 99% positive I got it from the ZDoom forums link I posted above.

Sorry to bump this up almost after five years, but thanks @NightFright for this wad fix. Playing Eternal Doom without it feels incomplete, and the official dehacked patch made by the team is somewhat hilarious and make it feel like a joke wad.
I take the liberty to make a dehacked patch with your text screen for Icarus as well. It plays a lot better knowing what the hell is going on.

It would be to much to ask if you can write some text screens for the memento moris and requiem?
Your unofficials story texts are great addons to those mapsets without proper text screens. I made something like this to one of my most beloved wads, Demonfear, with the story text that Capellan wrote for all the levels appearing in the stats screen as Hell2Pay and perdition's Gate did. Its not perfect, but it totally adds to the atmosphere of the mapset.

Edited by P41R47

By all means, if you want to make a dehacked patch from my ZDoom mapinfo files, feel free to do so. I am surprised anybody actually knows about these at all since they are rather hidden in the "Resources" section of the ZDoom forums (just to mention it again here, was already done previously in this thread).

As for Memento Mori 1+2 and Requiem - let's see. It's been a while since I have played those, and in order to be able to remember what's actually going on there, I need to replay everything. Provided I find a way to implement a story there as well, I guess it wouldn't be as excessive as in Icarus or Eternal Doom which even had additional story panels outside of the regular Doom II clusters (e.g. in Icarus where I added one after level 25 since I thought it was necessary to explain what had happened in maps 24+25). It's not easy to come up with something like that again - retrospectively I have NO clue what kind of mind-enhancing drugs I had been using back then to get such crazy ideas...

BTW, since it's that time of the year again, here is a direct link to my H2H-Xmas fix which includes the entire pwad plus the fix file. It doesn't only add the funny background story via DEHACKED/MAPINFO, but also takes care of a few nasty glitches in MAP24 plus corrects alignments of various sprites.

H2H-Xmas Fixed (PK3, 1.7 MB)

(I haven't documented my edits unfortunately, so no readme file listing my changes is available.)

Edited by NightFright

55 minutes ago, NightFright said:

By all means, if you want to make a dehacked patch from my ZDoom mapinfo files, feel free to do so. I am surprised anybody actually knows about these at all since they are rather hidden in the "Resources" section of the ZDoom forums (just to mention it again here, was already done previously in this thread).

As for Memento Mori 1+2 and Requiem - let's see. It's been a while since I have played those, and in order to be able to remember what's actually going on there, I need to replay everything. Provided I find a way to implement a story there as well, I guess it wouldn't be as excessive as in Icarus or Eternal Doom which even had additional story panels outside of the regular Doom II clusters (e.g. in Icarus where I added one after level 25 since I thought it was necessary to explain what had happened in maps 24+25). It's not easy to come up with something like that again - retrospectively I have NO clue what kind of mind-enhancing drugs I had been using back then to get such crazy ideas...

Yeah, i found your zdoom mapinfo fixes and thats where i found about the Icarus fix. And yes, i made a dehacked patch with your story, least the new added cluster that its impossible to add in vanilla, limit-removing, or boom compatible. Anyway, the plot is understandable without that added cluster, but it surely spice things a little more.
I wonder why you didn't upload this fixes to idgames? At least, your Eternal Doom dehacked patch is far more interesting than the original patch made by Rich Nagel, that almost seems like a joke on how it almost begs the player to visit the team TNT webpage.

Its ok if you don't rememeber how things go in Memento Mori i & ii, and Requiem, i don't played it myself cept for a few levels but i plan to play them completely, and i was just wondering if you had make something like you did with Eternal Doom that was incomplet untile somebody asked.
Its a little shame to play some mods, like Rebirth, Talosian Incident, Scythe serie, that doesn't have a proper custom text screen, they feel somewhat incomplete

though they are great.

Well, thanks @NightFright for answering. Your work is inspiring so i will check some old wads and try to write some custom text for them in dehacked. I made something like this for Hell2Pay, to accompany the stats screens text. I will try something for Perdition's Gate and some other cool old wads.

See ya!

Edited by P41R47