Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Vegeta

Music and source ports

I don't know what the f*ck is wrong but I can't run the music properly with any source port. Is it normal, or there is a solution?

Sounds to me like there's a big problem with your sound card and/or its drivers.
I don't believe I've ever had any source port that wouldn't play music, or wouldn't play music to some extent.

Vegeta said:

I don't know what the f*ck is wrong but I can't run the music properly with any source port. Is it normal, or there is a solution?

I'm guessing you're talking about how the music in source ports doesn't sound like the original executable's right? It's not you. When the Doom source code was released, it was released without sound because it used a copyrighted third party library - ie: id didn't write the sound code and so couldn't release it.

The original Doom used a sort of "offshoot" of MIDI called MUS which used different and better sounding instruments. With no code to guide them, the port makers could do nothing but do an on the fly conversion of the music and play it as standard MIDI - hence the shitty sound.