Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

I didn't realize how detailed the computer textures actually were until I looked at them in the proper lighting conditions:

It's interesting how the COLORMAP can sometimes highlight contrast between colors that would be very similar to each other at fullbright, while it's actually supposed to diminish them to darker shades. I like the software renderer, but sometimes I wished that the light diminishing effect on graphics was truecolor anyway. I know that GL ports do it like that. Still, I prefer software renderer for its "gritty-ness", which OpenGL cannot fully emulate even if I disable texture and sprite filtering. It's probably a direct result of the COLORMAP light diminishing in software renderer - so I shouldn't complain about it when it's exactly what I like about it, hehe.

I recently watched the IGN video where they play through E1 with John Romero, and found out that E1M1 was the last map he designed in Doom. Specifically because it's often harder to design an "easy" map than it is a "hard" map.

drygnfyre said:

I recently watched the IGN video where they play through E1 with John Romero, and found out that E1M1 was the last map he designed in Doom. Specifically because it's often harder to design an "easy" map than it is a "hard" map.

Yup, I watched the whole video and It's great. Even though It's from IGN.

Tritnew said:

Yup, I watched the whole video and It's great. Even though It's from IGN.

IGN doesn't bother me, then again, I'm unaware of any reason I'm supposed to dislike them.

Some other interesting things from the video (even though I knew some of them already), was that every official Doom map was intended to be playable from a pistol start (although that's pretty hard on, say, E4M2), and that many of the maps were not really planned on paper, Romero just did a basic sketch in DoomEd, and then gradually improved them from there.

I only noticed it yesterday that the Revenant uses the imp pain sound.

Maes said:

Huh, I've always noticed that. :\

Arch-viles can kill themselves if they ignite an enemy too close to them.

Single Specie infighting is obtained via them shooting barrels harming others, and they can only damage each other when using their melee attack.(As seen in E1M8 of Udoom)

Maes said:

I always thought it was kind of annoying that there are like 2 pain sounds shared between so many "species" of demons. I sometimes use a mod that gives the zombies and the barons/hellknights their PSX/n64 sounds, just for the variety.

Doomkid said:

I always thought it was kind of annoying that there are like 2 pain sounds shared between so many "species" of demons. I sometimes use a mod that gives the zombies and the barons/hellknights their PSX/n64 sounds, just for the variety.

SmoothDoom has unique sounds for monsters.

The chaingun is MUCH more powerful in the hands of the Heavy Weapon Dude/Chaingunner than it is in the hands of Doom Guy. (I don't care what anyone says, it IS more powerful.) I just found this out the hard way for the millionth time, and now feel qualified to state it as fact - to hell with the game's code.

The Revenant's projectile does NOT follow any rules of logic, despite what people quote from the game's code. (Also just found out the hard way for the millionth time, in a separate but equally frustrating run).

Hoodie said:

Robin calm down.

It was just a joke, jeez. I'm sure the Doom code is quite logical. I routinely speedrun Plutonia's Map 15: The Twilight, which has lots of chaingunners, and I do fine.

This is the most minor and inconsequential thing ever, but I just discovered that while the typical metal bar in SUPPORT3 is 24 pixels wide, the same metal bar in WOOD5 is 25 pixels wide, with one more pixel sneaking in to the right side of the second rivet. It was quite surprising to learn in the middle of texturing!

RobinSena said:

The chaingun is MUCH more powerful in the hands of the Heavy Weapon Dude/Chaingunner than it is in the hands of Doom Guy. (I don't care what anyone says, it IS more powerful.)

Well, although Chaingunner's chaingun is certainly LESS powerful in terms of fire rate and accuracy and damage, Chaingunner has several advantages over the player: He always knows where exactly his current target is, he tirelessly keeps firing at his target while he has line of sight, his ability to check line of sight is (almost always) perfect, and he can actually fire fully up above him or fully down below him if he needs to, which the player cannot (unless he plays in GZDoom).

scifista42 said:

Well, although Chaingunner's chaingun is certainly LESS powerful in terms of fire rate and accuracy and damage, Chaingunner has several advantages over the player: He always knows where exactly his current target is, he tirelessly keeps firing at his target while he has line of sight, his ability to check line of sight is (almost always) perfect, and he can actually fire fully up above him or fully down below him if he needs to, which the player cannot (unless he plays in GZDoom).

Yeah, the other post was just some comical venting. The constant line of sight is certainly a huge advantage. And just for the record, I play lots of Plutonia, and I play fairly well I think.

During a random Doom2.exe play, telefragged a chaingunner whose corpse slid here. k

The RL platform, went across the gap like rocketjump. Reminds me of the monster corpse falling from ledge towards player -bug.

ASD said:

The RL platform, went across the gap like rocketjump.

Cool.

Reminds me of the monster corpse falling from ledge towards player -bug.

I believe it's not a bug, but actually intentional. It was discussed on Doomworld at least once in the past, I couldn't find the relevant thread, though.

scifista42 said:

Cool.

What I find weird is that the corpse used the same direction where he last aimed. Attempted to repeat the slide multiple times, only to result in the same static position due to the player thing's blocking.

I believe it's not a bug, but actually intentional. It was discussed on Doomworld at least once in the past, I couldn't find the relevant thread, though.

Found it.

Does anyone know for sure how the direction a monsters corpse goes when telefragged? I think it goes the direction that is furthest from the players center, but I don't know for sure. Also I think the monsters size had to be equal to or less than the players size to move at all, but I can't confirm that. Does a monsters corpse move if it is telefragged by the player "directly" on top of it? As in, by a teleport destination being placed directly on top of a monster without waking it up?

40oz said:

Does anyone know for sure how the direction a monsters corpse goes when telefragged?

No, but since you asked, I spent about an hour poring over the source and doing extensive testing, so now the answer is yes.

40oz said:

I think it goes the direction that is furthest from the players center, but I don't know for sure.

It seems it's supposed to, but there are two problems. First, telefragging occurs before moving the teleported object, so the origin of the damage is the actually the location the player teleported from. Second, the thrust calculation overflows due to the extreme damage, producing a thrust of (6072/mass) units/tic in the opposite direction. The speed is then capped at 30 units/tic (MAXMOVE). The end result is that telefragged objects go flying towards the departure point.

40oz said:

Also I think the monsters size had to be equal to or less than the players size to move at all, but I can't confirm that.

Movement only occurs if the telefragged object can be thrown completely outside of the telefragger in a single tic, otherwise it is blocked. This only happens if the objects are only barely intersecting, and it is thrust away from the telefragger, not towards (as can happen). How much is "barely intersecting" depends on the mass of the telefragged object. For anything under 196 units of mass, it's 30 units (since that's the speed cap). For example, a humanoid monster (mass = 100, combined player+monster radius = 36) must be a least 6 units away from the player's centre in order to escape.

40oz said:

Does a monsters corpse move if it is telefragged by the player "directly" on top of it? As in, by a teleport destination being placed directly on top of a monster without waking it up?

Only if the monster's radius is 14 or less (tested with DeHackEd since there are no monsters that small).