Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sesalpinogamer

Any good wads that focus on exploring?

Wads by didi, Eternal, BigMemka, Shadowman and lots of other Russian authors tend to be immersive and pleasant to explore.

I also liked exploration in the Secretdoom series by CyberDemon531, where the focus on exploration is not so obvious until you start hunting for secrets and sometimes discover entirely new locations.

I like levels which have a lot of exploration, switch hunting and puzzles, and tend to be empty, but you're still ambushed by magnificent squads of monsters every once in awhile, to test your fighting abilities. Test both player's intelligence and reflexes.

Dawn Of Reality. Sure, there are 400 or so monsters, but in a map of those dimensions (and detail!) they are all but a secondary aspect.

There was a very atmospheric level as part of a "lost levels" episode (can't remember exactly which one, though) where you had to almost completely explore a sort of eradicated city floating in a chaos dimension (there even was a subway, a lot of explorable buildings, sewers, a severed rail track going into nothing etc.) which had about 500 hidden monsters, which however didn't appear until you managed to find a certain spot.

^TOTLM3 was all linear, with occasional "puzzles" like "explore this cramped room to find a switch to progress" or "press these 3 switches in obvious succession", no?

Maes said:

There was a very atmospheric level as part of a "lost levels" episode (can't remember exactly which one, though) where you had to almost completely explore a sort of eradicated city floating in a chaos dimension (there even was a subway, a lot of explorable buildings, sewers, a severed rail track going into nothing etc.) which had about 500 hidden monsters, which however didn't appear until you managed to find a certain spot.

Oh heh, that's one of mine: lostepis.wad E5M4 -- I suppose it fits the bill due to its nature. Thanks for the mention!

Also worth checking out: Crapi and Junko -- they're an oddball set of open-ended adventure-y maps specifically designed for running around and getting lost with no real purpose. Or some such. :P

scifista42 said:

^TOTLM3 was all linear, with occasional "puzzles" like "explore this cramped room to find a switch to progress" or "press these 3 switches in obvious succession", no?

eh, it felt adventurey, but I guess that doesn't necessarily make it focused on exploration.

I really enjoyed The Given. No enemies at all. Just exploration and puzzles.

Sorry for the necrobump, but I am curious if anyone has any other suggestions for more maps with a focus on exploration.

Edited by releasecandidate

Daedalus: Alien Defense is a great one. Lot of emphasis on exploration and puzzle-solving, although it may get a little too confusing at points. It is a sequel to Icarus: Alien Vanguard, which is also pretty great, but there is still lot of shooting and less of exploration and puzzles.

I've been playing "Foursite" recently and found it rather exploratory and huge. Also "Bury My Heart Knee Deep" was very much exploratory with lots of hidden nooks and crannies, as well as item led progression. I would also recommend the aforementioned "A.L.T.", which I am playing currently and holy shit is it amazing.