Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

^Thanks for doing the research, Foxpup. I wonder if this can be exploited, either in speedrunning or deliberate map design. For example making a telefragged monster corpse trigger a walkover lift action.

Not necessarily something I "just found out" so much as something I thought about, why does Doom Guy squint an eye when he's looking around in the first stage of damage, between 79% and 60%? Only thing I can imagine is that his eyes are starting to become damaged, leading into the bloodshot eyes in the next stage after that.

He's probably getting beaten Into a bloody pulp, slowly but surely.

I also found out that there was supposed to be a DOOM Multiplayer game on the N64 called The Absolution.

MetroidJunkie said:

Not necessarily something I "just found out" so much as something I thought about, why does Doom Guy squint an eye when he's looking around in the first stage of damage, between 79% and 60%? Only thing I can imagine is that his eyes are starting to become damaged, leading into the bloodshot eyes in the next stage after that.

He's just starting to be more aware, in the next stage doomguy is too damaged to keep his eyes up, since his face faces downwards more and more on each stage.

Your own face mimic would also become less steady + fluid and more exhausted + jerky if you felt body pain and had a nosebleed and bloodlit eyes. (do not try it)

MetroidJunkie said:

I would describe his look as "suspicious" in this stage. He's more cautious, expects danger everywhere, and his mimic reflects that.

If you edit the texture1 lump to change CEMENT3's dimensions from 128x128 to 64x128, and offset the patch by -41 on the x axis, you'll get a cement texture that actually aligns really well! (all those sidedefs are aligned 0,0)

got the idea from Doom 2's 64x128 switch texture on the left side (which is actually offset -42, but if you do -41, a bit less contrast is cut out that makes it look a little better)

Da Werecat said:

I would describe his look as "suspicious" in this stage. He's more cautious, expects danger everywhere, and his mimic reflects that.

It's cool how his emotions appear to change with damage. The following damage range makes him look the most angry, while the ones afterwards tend to look increasingly melancholic and hopeless.

I hadn't even considered that his emotions were changing with each stage of damage, ID is more clever than I give them credit for.

I did notice they seemed to have made a mistake in his animations, though. When he's gritting his teeth (Both straight forward and looking around if attacked on the side), the nosebleed disappears and it's not like they didn't have any pixels to work with.

That the Arch-Vile is a mockery of Jesus Christ, brings back the dead by using his hands which become highlighted.

Cyanosis said:

That the Arch-Vile is a mockery of Jesus Christ, brings back the dead by using his hands which become highlighted.

I don't think that counts unless the corpse turns into delicious snacks afterwards.

I think it's more like the Archvile is the Anti-Christ.

When he's resurrecting a corpse, he's in a pose that would seem to be someone praying for someone (looking up towards heaven) and it's interesting how his hands and face become red, as if he's using blood. Jesus saved people with his blood, the Archvile uses his to resurrect demons. He also has a similar pose when he's attacking except his hands are also raised upward in a more recognizably Christian worship pose. Perhaps he's worshiping the king of hell, AKA the Icon of Sin.

One way of looking at it is the Archvile is the highest ranking demon in hell (second to the Icon of Sin, of course). The reason why I say this? If an Archvile is hit by friendly fire and attacks another demon, said demon will never target the Archvile in retaliation. Even the Spider Mastermind and Cyberdemon will just sit there and take it.

Note: When I was a kid, before I realized it just had pale skin, I thought the Archvile was literally made of fire. Like a fire demon.

scifista42 said:

Your own face mimic would also become less steady + fluid and more exhausted + jerky if you felt body pain and had a nosebleed and bloodlit eyes. (do not try it)

infinity-80% = aware and neutral.(tidy haircut)
79%-60% = panicing and more aware.(a little messier hair, has a nosebleed and he opens his eyes wide when looking to the sides)
59%-40% = angry and steady.(even messier hair, bloodyred eyes with green moss at the bottom, a red mark at the left side of the mouth, head is slightly bent downwards)
39%-20% = hopeless, sad and not as steady as before.(even messier hair, dual nosebleed that bleeds down towards his chin, eyes are more red now with no green moss at the bottom, entire mouth is bleeding from everywhere, head is bending downwards more)
19%-1% = sleepy and less aware.(messier hair, nosebleed so heavy it drains down into his mouth, eyes bleed down to the chin, chin is entiredly covered in blood, forehead has two bloody cracks which drain down into his eyes
0%-infinity = dead.(head cracks open, bloodier than before, eyes are shut, his head is completely downwards)

It's amazing how this pixalated head has so much detail and emotion.

MetroidJunkie said:

If an Archvile is hit by friendly fire and attacks another demon, said demon will never target the Archvile in retaliation. Even the Spider Mastermind and Cyberdemon will just sit there and take it.

Are you sure about this? I feel like I've seen other monsters attacking and even killing an archvile, but don't quote me on that. Can anyone verify whether enemies will attack an arch?

It's impossible for any monster to target an Archvile. They can only damage him "unintentionally" when attacking the player or another monster and the Archvile steps in the way of their attack.

doomwiki:
"monsters (including other arch-viles) damaged by an arch-vile's attack will never retaliate because there is an exception in the source code that prevents other monsters from targeting them."

It's actually a bizarre scene to me if I use the summonfriend command in ZDoom to spawn monsters that will actively target enemy archviles.

I found it fun once to use the killmonsters command in nuts.wad, spawn a bunch of friendly and enemy archviles on opposing sides of the corpses. The resurrected demons have allegiance with whatever side brings them back..

Doom Builder 2 (& 64) can give the message "Created a romantic drawing."

All I know is that I was saving something in Builder 64 and it was taking an unusually long time, then I saw that message in the bottom right corner for a couple seconds. Unfortunately it was gone before I thought of taking a screenshot.

Anyone know what causes that to show up?

I realized that the Archvile Isn't as annoying as everyone says he Is. I could literally just escape his attack and the placement they put the Archvile In. It's usually easy. Maybe because I use a BFG for It mostly. :V

So yea, I don't get the point on hating the Archvile. The Revenant Isn't even that annoying to me either. Maybe because they're cool. Hell, I LOVE the Mancubus because they took out the horde of demons In MAP16 for me.

sector666 said:

Doom Builder 2 (& 64) can give the message "Created a romantic drawing."

All I know is that I was saving something in Builder 64 and it was taking an unusually long time, then I saw that message in the bottom right corner for a couple seconds. Unfortunately it was gone before I thought of taking a screenshot.

Anyone know what causes that to show up?

Whenever you finish something in draw mode, you'll get a random message based off of the "Create a ___ drawing." Romantic is just one of the possibilities; there's a bunch more.

Tritnew said:

I realized that the Archvile Isn't as annoying as everyone says he Is. I could literally just escape his attack and the placement they put the Archvile In. It's usually easy. Maybe because I use a BFG for It mostly. :V

So yea, I don't get the point on hating the Archvile. The Revenant Isn't even that annoying to me either. Maybe because they're cool. Hell, I LOVE the Mancubus because they took out the horde of demons In MAP16 for me.

Try avoiding several (or just a couple) while there are only small pillars to hide behind and there's a group of other monsters haunting you down as well.

joe-ilya said:

Try avoiding several (or just a couple) while there are only small pillars to hide behind and there's a group of other monsters haunting you down as well.

Oh, trust me. I had those moments. I always save when there's a huge group of monsters. Specially Revenants. I didn't discover Archviles much (I'm talking about DOOM II, not Plutonia or any of that. Not a big fan of Plutonia at all).

But no, try going on MAP10 without much ammo, you'll be raging. Specially with those fuckin' spider bastards.

Probably has something to do with the line of sight attack that's harder to dodge than projectiles and that it resurrects any monsters it happens to come across which, in my experience, tend to be between you and the Archvile in question so they become bullet sponges. It's the same with the Pain Elemental conjuring bullet sponges but at least Lost Souls are easier to get around. The fact that it also runs around fairly quickly doesn't help either.

That maze on Plutonia wasn't that bad, though, since they have no corpses to resurrect and the sharp corners make it easy to bob and weave with the Super Shotgun that they generously give you at the start of the level. I wonder if the point of that level was to get revenge on the Archviles.

MetroidJunkie said:

Probably has something to do with the line of sight attack that's harder to dodge than projectiles and that it resurrects any monsters it happens to come across which, in my experience, tend to be between you and the Archvile in question so they become bullet sponges. It's the same with the Pain Elemental conjuring bullet sponges but at least Lost Souls are easier to get around. The fact that it also runs around fairly quickly doesn't help either.

That maze on Plutonia wasn't that bad, though, since they have no corpses to resurrect and the sharp corners make it easy to bob and weave with the Super Shotgun that they generously give you at the start of the level. I wonder if the point of that level was to get revenge on the Archviles.

Yea, but I never really had a problem with him because I used the BFG. Maybe he resurrected a few hard monsters, but the BFG's your friend.

As for Plutonia, I never played It. I never really took Interest In It either, so I just played TNT Instead.

Linedef action 4: W1 Door Open Wait Close is one of the few linedef actions that can also be activated by monsters!

Potential secret area idea -- monster trips a line opening up a secret area, must get in before before the door shuts permanently

Potential trap idea -- surround a monster in line action 4 lines; player has to sneak around the monster without waking it up, else the monster activates a series of trap doors packed with revenants.

--

Also if you have a switch that activates a door, and you walkover linedef action 87 WR floor start moving up and down thats tagged the same as the door, you can permanently deactivate the switch, even if you hit a 89 WR Floor stop moving linedef action. Not sure how much use you can get out of that though. maybe simulate a power outage with switching the lights off too, idk.

Tritnew said:

Yea, but I never really had a problem with him because I used the BFG. Maybe he resurrected a few hard monsters, but the BFG's your friend.

ALL enemies save for the Icon of Sin are pushovers when you can afford to just spam the BFG. XD