Find results in...
riki2321

Some shitty wad i made (first) Riki's adventure

Is this good?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Is this good?

• No, It's utter shit
    • Yeah, nice for first

Hello guys, I'm new to this forum, thanks to the help to many people, i made my first wad, (aka a stupid joke, but with no rape or anything)

aka enemy spam, sorry it's my first ^^ :D
inspired by terry/joke wads! weapons and enemies made with ms paint!

I think releasing a download would be nice. If someone can, teach me to upload to idgames, plase?
http://www.mediafire.com/download/77td5xb91d5xe9w/RikiAdventure.wad
V4
Change log :
Finished wad

http://www.mediafire.com/download/jqqq6s9bimj6y33/RikiAdventureNewFix.wad
V4.5
Change log :
fixed bug in level 1

(Canceled) V5
Change log :
Nothing. canceled

http://www.mediafire.com/download/id8cdickjjl7cgy/RikiAdventureCringiestVersionFinal.wad V6
Change log :
Shit gotta get serious, Better maps. No more enemy spam
Some of the loud sounds will be lowered, So will the somemong texture be.
Marines getting their own skins!
New spider mastermind! http://www.mediafire.com/view/q7kk8itdnaiid6u/SPIDD2D8.bmp#
Retarted as fuck!
No more Shitty maps.

TXT file = http://pastebin.com/d4k9p5M3

Obsidian said:

And Kappes wonders why I tell people to start with vanilla. Eh, at least it isn't a screamer.

Vanilla < UDMF
Haha the screamer, why would i do that? I love funny crap.

riki2321 said:

Vanilla < UDMF

In terms of what it can do, yes. In terms of learning the basics and what will make a good Doom map (there is no single answer to this, by the way!), vanilla is generally the better starting point. I recommend limit-removing vanilla (PRBoom+ complevel 2) because vanilla limits can be annoying.

Boom format is also a good starting point, much more powerful than vanilla considering you've got such things as voodoo doll conveyer "scripts" at your disposal.

AD_79 said:

In terms of what it can do, yes. In terms of learning the basics and what will make a good Doom map (there is no single answer to this, by the way!), vanilla is generally the better starting point. I recommend limit-removing vanilla (PRBoom+ complevel 2) because vanilla limits can be annoying.

Boom format is also a good starting point, much more powerful than vanilla considering you've got such things as voodoo doll conveyer "scripts" at your disposal.

I'll stay with UDMF, and use these some day..

This is exactly what a first wad should look like in my eyes. Just goofing around, having fun creating silly stuff while learning the basics of editing. I like it.

Memfis said:

This is exactly what a first wad should look like in my eyes. Just goofing around, having fun creating silly stuff while learning the basics of editing. I like it.

Thanks!, sure yeah. that's what a first wad looks like

It's not a very good map, but neither is anybody else's first maps. Keep it up, with practice you'll get much better. :-)

Make maps that feel fun to play, for you. Keep tweaking them so they do.

Memfis said:

chillest damn thing ive seen on this forum.
kudos.

chungy said:

It's not a very good map, but neither is anybody else's first maps. Keep it up, with practice you'll get much better. :-)

Make maps that feel fun to play, for you. Keep tweaking them so they do.

Thanks im writing this on my tablet at school

Should i make sequel

Considering that this map is your first, I wouldn't worry about a "sequel;" just keep making maps and you'll get better over time. I also wouldn't worry about getting feedback. Not to be mean, but not everybody here will be positive or have the patience to walk you all the way through to making good maps.

Wait til your 2nd (or 5th) *serious* attempt at making a map before you start worrying about any official releases or even feedback.

For now, just do like you have been and have fun with it, though if I were you I wouldn't be so quick to throw out AD's advice. Just like in math, start with the basics and work your way up. That will be the best place to start for your initial "serious" attempts at level design. Learn stuff like detailing, monster roles and trap set-ups. Also, the more you play Doom, watch how other mappers use their layouts, monsters and items to cause players to look and be drawn to certain spots, rather than have everything in front of the player.

It's nice to see you also venturing out in slade with the custom things, but as with the format, it is absolutely best to start off with the basics then work your way up. You can't just make a giant box of a level with custom enemies and sounds and expect for people to take it seriously.

Good luck mate!

AD_79 said:

I recommend limit-removing vanilla (PRBoom+ complevel 2) because vanilla limits can be annoying.

I've found vanilla is completely fine for a simple my-first-map wad. It's the overly ambitious people who believe it's too limiting for their ultra detailed GZDoom Tormentor project competitor.

SavageCorona said:

I've found vanilla is completely fine for a simple my-first-map wad. It's the overly ambitious people who believe it's too limiting for their ultra detailed GZDoom Tormentor project competitor.

By the way, in first version V1 alpha, i used vanilla, then i decided to bomb the wad and start with UDMF (V3)

Using anything but vanilla or Boom for your first ever map is the worst thing you can do. I'm not saying you can't do anything good with it but it's not a good idea.

SavageCorona said:

Using anything but vanilla or Boom for your first ever map is the worst thing you can do. I'm not saying you can't do anything good with it but it's not a good idea.

Perhaps in most cases. For me, my first megawad release was in zdoom because it was closer to my original Doom experience on the PlayStation (colored lighting and all.)

An example of a nearly first time mapper using zdoom and releasing something extraordinary: Toxie Rocks, with their level in the 2014 Doomworld Megawad Project.

As for your maps, riki, ugh... I'm not one to try and insult others, and if this wad you've shown really was an honest try, then kudos. I know with time and practice you will get better.

But still, it's hard not to get the impression that you may have made this wad just to troll. I'm not against all troll or joke wads (though Terry wads are absolute abominations.) The fact that you credit Terry in the end is a bit uneasy, and the constant use of the "Boom!" sound effect is very grating, albeit funny for a minute. The use of swearing, too, doesn't feel at all like natural dialogue.

I hope my feedback is helpful in some manner. I encourage you to keep on mapping. Just remember, focused gameplay, ideas and balance are a huge part of all good wads, and if they can use humor effectively, then that is great, too. I mention Toxie Rocks DWMP 2014 map again, as that has an insane amount of crazy, very oddball stuff, yet it plays well (admittedly, there could be more ammo, but that is besides the point.) Anyways, have a good day, and God bless. :)

obake said:

Perhaps in most cases. For me, my first megawad release was in zdoom because it was closer to my original Doom experience on the PlayStation (colored lighting and all.)

An example of a nearly first time mapper using zdoom and releasing something extraordinary: Toxie Rocks, with their level in the 2014 Doomworld Megawad Project.

As for your maps, riki, ugh... I'm not one to try and insult others, and if this wad you've shown really was an honest try, then kudos. I know with time and practice you will get better.

But still, it's hard not to get the impression that you may have made this wad just to troll. I'm not against all troll or joke wads (though Terry wads are absolute abominations.) The fact that you credit Terry in the end is a bit uneasy, and the constant use of the "Boom!" sound effect is very grating, albeit funny for a minute. The use of swearing, too, doesn't feel at all like natural dialogue.

I hope my feedback is helpful in some manner. I encourage you to keep on mapping. Just remember, focused gameplay, ideas and balance are a huge part of all good wads, and if they can use humor effectively, then that is great, too. I mention Toxie Rocks DWMP 2014 map again, as that has an insane amount of crazy, very oddball stuff, yet it plays well (admittedly, there could be more ammo, but that is besides the point.) Anyways, have a good day, and God bless. :)

thanks, i know the boom is overused, i credited terry for his eeughhhh sound.
by the way, an bugfix is coming!

obake said:

Like I said, I'm not saying you can't do anything good with it. It takes a bit of practice to actually produce something good though, even if you haven't released many maps before. Just like practicing for a while without releasing anything if you get me.

SavageCorona said:

Like I said, I'm not saying you can't do anything good with it. It takes a bit of practice to actually produce something good though, even if you haven't released many maps before. Just like practicing for a while without releasing anything if you get me.

Okay.

Edit :

I'm making the special world for this wad. will have 3 extra maps

Bump, hehe
Should i make this wad better decorated, and not terryish looking? I know it has so much monsters n shit. That could be lowered. If anyone wants. Sure i will do. I'm sorry for crashing your PC or anything. I'm making this wad better. It's gonna be serious shit now.

Anything not borrowed from or related to Terry WADs would be a great thing as the overwhelming majority here loathe that crap he and his minions/copycats/etc pump out. If you make serious maps like you said, nearly everyone will look forward to them.

SavageCorona said:

It's the overly ambitious people who believe it's too limiting for their ultra detailed GZDoom Tormentor project competitor.

Well, anything is possible I'd say if you have a good feeling for aesthetics. I already saw a lot of newcomers who created brilliant maps even though having joined the community a few years ago.

Still, on the one hand I am a graphics designer so I can consider myself having a certain feeling when it comes to colors and forms. On the other hand, I am actively modding and mapping since 1998 - that's quite a while to learn things ;)