Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CacoCaddy

Use of episode 4 sky texture in pwads

I was thinking among all replacement sky textures the episode 4 sky texture might be the most commonly used. I wonder why? Personally, it's my favorite classic doom sky texture. Something about it's orange glow is aesthetically pleasing, and I must not be the only one. Maybe I answered my own question.

I like it because of the impression Episode 4 left on me when I was very young (Ultimate Doom was the first Doom I was exposed to). I'm used to seeing them in creepy levels with inhuman architecture that wants you dead.

It's nice to see every now and then but...I prefer to see other skies that haven't been used before /custom! Seeing that saaaaaammmee orange all the time gets on my nerves a little.

One thing I noticed is that there is not much other orange stuff in Doom. So an orange sky almost always adds some welcome color variety and contrast to a level. Compare this to using a red sky in an already red level, which might look too boring color-wise (oops Scythe Ep 3).

Memfis said:

One thing I noticed is that there is not much other orange stuff in Doom. So an orange sky almost always adds some welcome color variety and contrast to a level. Compare this to using a red sky in an already red level, which might look too boring color-wise (oops Scythe Ep 3).

Yeah this

It stood out for me because I always thought that episode 4 is earth-based and it felt right having an orange sky to represent sunrise or sunset.

I've noticed it in quite a few single level PWADs from back in the day and part of a PWAD series called Spooky or something. It definitely compliments the marble textures like in E4 and creates a surreal atmosphere that's not quite Earth or Hell, if anything it reminds me of Limbo.

The E4 sky has a nice blend of oranges and pinks. I think the orange sky used in some Vanguard maps (and probably appears in Valiant as well) has a similar combination. It's a vivid and awesome look!

Orange sky needs a blue sun. Uhhh... because in the future we have evolved DNA that enables us to also see into the ultra-violet spectrum as well as infra-red. So yeah... science bitches! ;P

I always preferred the deep blue skies featured in pwads like doomcity, but the E4 sky is super memorable and a stated compliments the marble textures really well.

I think personally that the orange sky is the one sky from the iwads which can work in both hellish and tech-based theme maps without looking out of place.

The sky looks particularly good in dark areas, IMO. It also fits well to green, red and brown.

It does fit very well with the marble textures! Although for me, E1 sky will always be the favourite. :)