Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooM_RO

A company called Certain Affinity is handling the multiplater

I have just found this little tidbit of information. Here is an excerpt from Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Certain_Affinity

"Certain Affinity's creation was announced in December 2006. The studio was founded by ex-Bungie employee Max Hoberman. In addition to staff from Bungie, it also includes ex-members of companies such as Microsoft, Red Storm, Origin, Electronic Arts, Digital Anvil, NCSoft, and the now-defunct Midway Austin.[2]

The studio's first work was in creating two additional multiplayer levels for the popular Xbox game Halo 2. These maps, called "Tombstone" and "Desolation" (which comprised the "Blastacular Map Pack") were the last Halo 2 maps to be released; they are remakes of levels form the original Halo, called "Hang 'Em High" and "Derelict" respectively.[3] They were released for Halo 2 on the Xbox Live on April 17, 2007. These maps were not released for Halo 2 Vista, but were replaced with two new maps exclusive to Halo 2 Vista: "District" and "Uplift". Certain Affinity worked closely with members of Bungie and Microsoft Game Studios during the development of these two maps.[citation needed]"

Anyone know anything about these guys?

DooM_RO said:

I have just found this little tidbit of information. Here is an excerpt from Wikipedia.

"Certain Affinity's creation was announced in December 2006. The studio was founded by ex-Bungie employee Max Hoberman. In addition to staff from Bungie, it also includes ex-members of companies such as Microsoft, Red Storm, Origin, Electronic Arts, Digital Anvil, NCSoft, and the now-defunct Midway Austin.[2]

The studio's first work was in creating two additional multiplayer levels for the popular Xbox game Halo 2. These maps, called "Tombstone" and "Desolation" (which comprised the "Blastacular Map Pack") were the last Halo 2 maps to be released; they are remakes of levels form the original Halo, called "Hang 'Em High" and "Derelict" respectively.[3] They were released for Halo 2 on the Xbox Live on April 17, 2007. These maps were not released for Halo 2 Vista, but were replaced with two new maps exclusive to Halo 2 Vista: "District" and "Uplift". Certain Affinity worked closely with members of Bungie and Microsoft Game Studios during the development of these two maps.[citation needed]"

Anyone know anything about these guys?

Where did you get this info ?

I don't know about Halo 4, but Halo 2 had decent and sometimes fun maps and game modes. My only problem was the slow pace of Master Chief. But seeing that that problem will probably be non existent, I think the multiplayer is in good hands.

Feels weird that id Software is not making all of the new Doom. Heck, they're only working on the singleplayer. I find that extremely odd.

But maybe this is the future? I dunno but outsourcing seems to be all the more common these days. Heck, FALLOUT 4 is technically outsourced... because id Software helped make the weapons for it. No joke. So maybe there's no reason to panic over this, we'll have to wait and see.

The days of video games being any sort of personal expression of a person or small group of people are long, long dead. With the amount of money that goes into AAA titles nowadays they are 100% assembly-line products that bring in hundreds if not thousands of people (literally - Rockstar says that well over a thousand people worked on GTAV). Entirely different teams working on different portions of the game is the new normal.

I think crap like pre-order specials and tons of paid DLC could be what help this reboot sink or swim. 3rd party doing the MP content is important of coarse... but not rage inducing like to much DLC and season's passes, etc... all before the game is even out. Bethesda still has tons of time to sink this game like 2K sank Evolve. I don't want it to sink mind you... rrreally want this to succeed and to be fun. /fingers_crossed

Also... hoping that they don't make us wait all the way to the end of Q2(June) until they release the game. :(

Some Pre-Order sites are listing the release month as April.

I'm actually waiting for some kind of Pre-Order package that has a jacked up price and useless Junk (Like FO4's Pip Boy Watch thing). I mean, I could also do with what I did with Max Payne 3 and just buy the collectibles really cheaply off eBay, but where's the fun and build up in that?

Bethesda/zenimax is notorious for releasing shit unfinished titles so I'd wait before preordering. Maybe watch a review or two. Also... seeing this is the 1st doom title in over 11 yrs I hope that there is something special offered for the older fans who've been around. Maybe a throwback to doom 95 or something being playable on the current idtech6 engine perhaps. Or a concept art book along with a figurine... something along those lines

sleepii said:

Maybe a throwback to doom 95 or something being playable on the current idtech6 engine perhaps.

But Doom 95 is dumb. It'd also probably be way harder to port to PS4/XBone/modern PCs than just LinuxDoom or something based off of Doom Classic Complete.

Jaxxoon R said:

But Doom 95 is dumb. It'd also probably be way harder to port to PS4/XBone/modern PCs than just LinuxDoom or something based off of Doom Classic Complete.

ah yes. Doom 95... the precursor to the source engine and half life.

Based on what I played this year at Quakecon I think it's safe to say Certain Affinity is doing a pretty damn good job with the multiplayer. It won't make vanilla players happy I'm sure but over all it's fun chaotic nonstop combat that had me waiting in line at least four or five times I was there(It was a huge line). I wouldn't really say it felt to much like Doom TDM, maybe if the speed was cranked up just a tad bit more, but more of Quake meets UT sort of feel to me. I know they've mentioned that with Snapmap you can increase the movement speed so I'm sure there will be things like Vanilla DM presets or something, that would be cool. Some changes I would like to see made to the multiplayer though are - Increased SSG dmg - Increased Rocket DMG or firing speed, maybe a bit of both? - Faster movement speed.

DemonSphere said:

Based on what I played this year at Quakecon I think it's safe to say Certain Affinity is doing a pretty damn good job with the multiplayer. It won't make vanilla players happy I'm sure but over all it's fun chaotic nonstop combat that had me waiting in line at least four or five times I was there(It was a huge line). I wouldn't really say it felt to much like Doom TDM, maybe if the speed was cranked up just a tad bit more, but more of Quake meets UT sort of feel to me. I know they've mentioned that with Snapmap you can increase the movement speed so I'm sure there will be things like Vanilla DM presets or something, that would be cool. Some changes I would like to see made to the multiplayer though are - Increased SSG dmg - Increased Rocket DMG or firing speed, maybe a bit of both? - Faster movement speed.

How different does it feel in comparison to the run of the mill modern shooter?

How did the weapons feel? Not just talking about damage. Animations, sounds, graphics?

What about the environments?

Music?

DooM_RO said:

How different does it feel in comparison to the run of the mill modern shooter?

How did the weapons feel? Not just talking about damage. Animations, sounds, graphics?

What about the environments?

Music?

I think it hows a very different feel than your average shooter and will bring a lot more to the table, with things like the Demon Rune making interesting item control scenarios.

Weapons felt great, they all looked pretty decent too, SSG sounds pretty beefy which is nice, I've heard a few people complain about the plasma sounding wimpy but I thought it sounds perfectly fine. Vortex rifle thingie looked and sounded pretty cool too. All I can really remember/say about that.

We only played one map, which looked like the same as the E3 map, foundry looking lava stuff. Was same design and look as that E3 map. It played pretty well, the double jump works into the multiplayer very well, needing to time the jump right to grab something like a megahealth or supercharge couldn't remember which it was, another was a green armor you had to double jump up to.

I don't recall any music really, if there was it was very light/quiet.

Again about the weapons. Compared to the ones from RAGE and The New Order (which had some of the very best), how do you think they are? Inferior? Superior? About the same?

DooM_RO said:

Again about the weapons. Compared to the ones from RAGE and The New Order (which had some of the very best), how do you think they are? Inferior? Superior? About the same?

I'd say about the same as TNO weapons I guess, it's hard to tell the weapons I used most in the Doom multiplayer were the vortex and and plasma, different style weapons. To me they felt great.

DS thought it was good? Hell yeah, based on these descriptions I'm pretty damn hyped! Looking like a perfect balance of classic DOOM elements and Quake elements and really welcome additions too, all while retaining a fairly zippy speed. Fuck yes.

Rofl, just noticed the thread title says "multiplater". DOOMGUY IS HUNGRY, GIVE HIM MULTIPLE PLATES!

*looks at the list of games*
*sees CoD and Halo*

Now where's that slab of concrete I always bang my head against...?

EDIT: To be fair, though, CoD does have pretty solid multiplayer, so it probably won't be all that bad.

I will admit, COD's MP can be fun SOMETIMES, the only thing that always ruins It Is squeakers and assholes.

GoatLord said:

My problem is the maps in COD games and such are too close to reality. That's boring.

That's why DOOM's MP Is going to be better, though, Old School Multiplayer was always better.