Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fanatic

QDOOM Revisited

Greetings all! It's been a long time since I've done anything with DOOM or EDGE, but I recently saw a video of someone doing a quick run through of QDOOM's first episode, and was inspired to do an explanation type video after all these years.

QDOOM originally came out around 1999, so it's been roughly 15 years since the final release.

The video linked below is mostly me blathering on about how I did stuff in QDOOM and the EDGE engine, and running through the maps showing various features. If you like classic DOOM, the EDGE engine, QDOOM, or just game design, you might find it interesting.

It's a rather long video (1 hour 21 min), so grab some popcorn and a drink before you get started.

Holy fucking shit, it's Marc Pullen! Utter silence in both news and music releases was starting to get a bit unsettling after all these years, really nice to see that you're still around!

'Ello fanatic, nice to see you again. I recently had a spin through qdoom, whilst walking down memory lane...

Holy shit I remember QDoom!

It's great to see a familiar face again. :)

I remember finding QDOOM, and not knowing too much about source ports at the time, I just ran it with Doom Legacy and found it to be cute with all of the graphic replacements and whatnot. I don't think it even ran the QDOOM levels (Of course, that could have been nothing but a graphic replacement wad I used at the time). If I had the right files or ran the mod correctly, my young mind probably would have exploded with how cool this all looks. I guess I better go back and try it again with Edge this time.

Yeah, this was kinda interesting. I remember loving QDOOM back in the day, in fact I used it as my go-to DDF reference for an Exhumed TC that, sadly, is lost to the aether for being a few computers ago.

An inspiration, yeah. I dare say if there were no QDOOM, I wouldn't have done SLaVE (a 3DGE-engine game still being worked on).

Nice work, thanks for sharing. :)

I've lurked around here once in a while over the years, still like seeing the screenshots in newstuff.

I stopped doing DOOM stuff a while ago, and worked on maps in the original Stronghold and Stronghold 2 for a while, had more fun editing maps than playing the actual game.

I did work on the Cube engine for music and maps, then Sauerbraten for a while doing more of the same, did a LOT of music for quite a few releases. That was pure heaven for in game 3D editing, so easy to learn.

All the music I've done is on last.fm, just look up "Marc A. Pullen" there, you can grab all my songs free there (32 albums worth).

After that, around 2008, I made the mistake of playing WOW, and haven't stopped since. I'm also playing a lot of Diablo 3 lately (this WOW expansion is kind of meh now), and (less of) GTA 5.

I haven't done a lot of music since 2008 between work taking up a lot of time, playing WOW too much, and just being short on musical ideas.

The last album I did was Odious in 2008, and I put so much into that, used a lot of what was left in my idea bucket and then some. Now I have a few dozen mini-imcomplete-songs and riffs, but no complete album themes. I don't think people generally listen to one single entire album anymore, thanks to streaming like Pandora. I considered just writing one off songs and release them alone, but that doesn't feel as epic as a shiny new complete album. Free time is hard to come by nowadays...

I've thought about doing some old DOOM mapping, but I don't think any of my old editors work on newer 64 bit systems. I have an old Windows XP box somewhere in my closet I could polish off and see if it works there, but unless there's free time in the closet too, probably won't happen anytime soon.

Fanatic said:

I did work on the Cube engine for music and maps, then Sauerbraten for a while doing more of the same, did a LOT of music for quite a few releases. That was pure heaven for in game 3D editing, so easy to learn.

I didn't know that, pretty interesting. I never noticed before, but now that I listen to the Sauerbraten and QDoom tracks again, they do sound pretty similar in style :p

Fanatic said:

After that, around 2008, I made the mistake of playing WOW, and haven't stopped since. I'm also playing a lot of Diablo 3 lately (this WOW expansion is kind of meh now), and (less of) GTA 5.

Heh, seems like a common plague. I'm so glad I'm immune to it...