Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
wallabra

Refinery of Maps

Send here any noob-looking map and I will try to refine and polish it into a more profissional look.

No offense, but what makes you think that people will actually send you maps?

Gustavo6046, before you start asking people to do anything for your new mega-cool-and-whatnot project, make sure you have something to show first (your own previous WADs, experience with project management, etc). Keep in mind we've already seen thousands of awesome project ideas that fell apart at the seams.

Especially since you claim that you could give "more profissional look" to noobish maps, some proof of your capability would be nice to see, otherwise umm... It's YOU who "wants helps or won't or can't better maps, or is simply out of options".

I don't think that someone who actually wants to improve will send maps to others so they make the work, nor it's a good idea.

Devile II MAP03 and also Devile II's own Quake E1M1 replica (MAP33) were the best. But I have seen many tuts on YouTube.

Memfis said:

Polish me please! I want some help with this map.

I smoothed the lightning, aligned textures, added secrets, a nukage exit, a baron of hell replacement and fixed the rocket ammo secret.
The result is this:
(video was bugged)
Get it here.
the queue is big :D

Wow thanks guys, I didn't expect to get two maps! New secrets were certainly an improvement. And two cacos is much better than that one baron.

You made a good job (especially on the light works in the hallway at 0:09), maybe i'll do some other refining works...

ChaingunnerX said:

That map there is pretty nice. I though I didn't had to make any refinement in the start, but I noticed some common errors in it:
1. Lightning is too rough.
2. Some traps are missing. The one it currently has is o.k
3. Really "baby" novices won't really say "this is awesome!" because it has too many monsters. (That one I skipped because general novices will still like the slaughter :) ).

I only really improved MAP01, I still don't have much time to do so to MAP02. I migth do it tomorrow.

To resume changes:

• I smoothed lightning;
  • I added two traps I felt were needed (not including a mini trap);
  • I generally extended the level.
There are too many changes to list...

It is downloadable here.

J.B.R said:

Hmm, this sounds like an interesting idea, i have a suggestion, grab some bad maps from idgames and see if you can improve them.

There are LOADS of old maps from 1994 and 1995 that would be cool to see with updates. Another 1994tu ;)

I won't download a lot of maps searching for crappy maps. I'd rather grab a single map, refine it and done! But it may be worth making from a Military Nightmare a Military Dream or such. :)

I'd suggest really just working on your own maps from scratch. It helps you improve on your creativity better than having built your stuff on top of someone else's work. You could try remaking some small fun-areas from other maps for your maps to learn how they work and dig into their design to see why they're fun.

Some feedback from just watching the video "SavageCorona" posted in your "Devile" thread..

From what I've seen your work so far with Devile 1/2, they're not really having that professional look you're talking about being capable of doing. There's no consistent theme going on in your maps, they don't represent anything really, it's just places. I'd suggest you set a theme you want for the map and stick to it. Don't use multiple themes, it'll just make it messy, keep it simple.

Also, you don't seem to challenge player as you're very generously giving new powerful guns in very easy "secrets". Try to give players new guns as a reward and replenish ammo before bigger fights.

Then, there's the lack of space in your maps where it's needed. I saw many narrow hallways with props in the way, which is not a cool thing in Doom where it's about flow in movement. I saw player going back and forth from the doorway as there was no space to enter the room and fight there. You should encourage players to enter the room, race around obstacles and platforms and whatnot to take care of the enemies.

Well, my latest map in my map thread has a nice theme, good slaughter and stuff. Take a look at it.

• Devile 1 was once a project. It was so bad I gave up it. I already uploaded it in my maps thread.
  • Devile 2 was once a good project. It became a large WAD (no, not a MEGAWAD) but didn't done it.
  • Hangar of Hell is a good project. It has been concluded and is now in the latest post in my maps thread.
I hope this gives a highlight in my old and new projects.