Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DF88

Moar Blood and Gore

The quakecon and e3 reveal obviously isnt the final product but what needs adding in terms of blood / gore

Chainsaw animations may be long but the gore is done well.

The weapon play seems to be lacking blood with all the gibs. It makes the enemies seem solid instead of fleshy. Super shotty to mutant blows it to chunks with almost no blood.

Beginning imps explode to nothing but blood. Wheres the body? the last imp in the first exchange (the one who misses fireballs while the player is still) has a nice death animation though.

Im surprised no one noticed jumps from enemy AI to death animations. There are frames where the enemy is completely gone. Im sure that the version shown at quakecon is alpha but it makes me question why they waited to show it until e3 after previously showing it to exclusive quakecon attemdees earlier. Their excuse was because the game was not at a level of detail to be sctrutinized and picked apart frame by frame. The e3 reveal didnt seem ready to be either.

Regardless game still looks legit and hope for more blood.

I wasn't paying too much attention to detail, but you gotta have blood splatter on the walls. Duke 3D did it a hundred years ago, I expect it from Doom 4.

Yes, the blood and gore needs to be improved. They have a solid base from which to build from. They just need to add in all the little grotesque subtleties that will make just right.

Sound is very important when it comes to gore. They had some juicy sound effects for the gore, particularly when the Mancubus blew up, but there where some moments when the sound was lacking.

And there were also times when chunks of gore fell onto the floor, sometimes even entire halves of torsos, but they left no blood splat or blood pool on the floor. When chunks of gore fall to the floor, they should leave blood.

So no simple blood decal on surfaces after shooting a monster with a hitscan weapon?

Avoozl said:

So no simple blood decal on surfaces after shooting a monster with a hitscan weapon?

There are some great looking pools of blood, which DF88 pointed, but not one time did I see an enemy spray blood on the wall. Seeing as this is a two decade old feature, I'm a bit surprised. It was really weird seeing an enemy turn into chunks, but without a hint of blood. I think I did see a bit of initial spraying when they were hit, but it instantly vaporized, an effect that is still present in FPS games and has never looked good. I have a feeling id won't let us down, since they put so much work into the wonderful looking gore.

GoatLord said:

I think I did see a bit of initial spraying when they were hit, but it instantly vaporized, an effect that is still present in FPS games and has never looked good. I have a feeling id won't let us down, since they put so much work into the wonderful looking gore.

I definitely noticed those sprays before going to chunks. It looks like a mist of blood maybe using particles but it is definitely not enough as is since its hard to notice. The first super shotty kill shows that perfectly and just looks weird as is. Especially when compared to a chainsaw kill which seems complete with the exception of some additional pooling.

The violence is fine, we don't need to have the game duplicate extra features from Brutal Doom. I'm fine with Painkiller level blood and gore tho.

Oh God, NO.

There's already enough blood and gore in the new Doom as it is now. We don't need an unnecessary amount that's going to affect gameplay/performance negatively.

HavoX said:

Oh God, NO.

There's already enough blood and gore in the new Doom as it is now. We don't need an unnecessary amount that's going to affect gameplay/performance negatively.

How exactly would this negatively affect gameplay or performance?

I see many of us notice and are a little concerned about the gore previewed in E3. A SS can blow enemies to chunks but the blood spray is minimal and well... it's sorta like Quake gibs which aren't to today standards.

The Chainsaw is good for the first few chops but risk being a poor choice for strategy (unless they add a quick chop option) and can quickly get old. But I'm still going to love it.

I'm hoping we are just seeing some sort of a Alpha somewhat rushed and prettied up as much as possible for showcase.

Now I'm just going to put on this armor and shield for a moment... there we go. So, I know my opinions aren't always popular here however I feel Doom 4 can take some more ideas from Brutal Doom (raises shield). No not the taunts or duel guns etc, but the opportunity to blow limbs off that can both add more dynamic monster deaths (keeping things fresher for longer) and be tactical stun to an enemy. Think Soldier of Fortune where shooting at a leg made the guy scream in pain or hitting his hand made him drop the weapon followed by his animated pain state. Consider this, if you shoot a demon with a standard shotgun but a few bullets miss, severely wounded but not killing it, I don't think it warrants an ignore or a mile-second pain-state stun. I believe a more satisfying and realistic reaction should occur imo. That being said, higher tier monsters won't suffer pro-longed agony states.

Doom 4 already showed how you can blow the Imp in half and its legs are still walking. That's cool. Really cool. I would like to see more of that but some varieties that instead of immediately killing the monster it wounds and stuns it. This could legitimately create a tactical advantage if you want the monster in front of you (while in agony state) to take the incoming shots from a bunch of projectiles, like a meat shield. I'm imagining an Imp's hand being popped off and it's holding its wrist in pain for a couple seconds. Demons like Hell Knights wouldn't react to pain whatsoever though.

My concern is feedback. The original Doom has very cartoonish gore, but it's incredibly effective. You feel satisfied that you've taken down an enemy. It's an important aspect of gameplay. Because neo-Doom is so much more detailed, you necessarily need detailed gore. It looks pretty fantastic right now, but the dripping of blood, I think, is the icing on the cake. That will provide that much more feedback when you encounter foes. If you watch the gameplay trailer, there's some slo-mo shots that seem to demonstrate this better than the actual live gameplay.

HavoX said:

Oh God, NO.

Having blood spatter on the walls from weapons probably isn't going to affect performance that much, considering 90's shooters like Duke 3D had that. It doesn't have to be to the level of Brutal Doom, it can be a more restrained realistic amount.

Bethesda seemed to have dropped doing blood decals on surfaces after attacking an enemy since Skyrim and Rage so it's not wonder why Doom 4 wont have them, Fallout 4 probably wont have them either.

SavageCorona said:

It's already getting people hyped for Brutal Doom 4 as it is. It doesn't need more.

Bah, the original Dooms were gory as heck back in the day. Especially with the wall textures of intestines, the faces and hanging mutilated bodies. The Doom guide's cover was literally intestines. Now that it's modern times so you won't see anything like it again.

Which is a real shame. There is some real satisfaction behind various kills that alter based on the weapon and power used on them. The best we may get in Doom 4 is walking legs from a SSG blast, soon to get old chainsaw animations and instant gibs 1996 style. Blood spray is nothing. I barely consider a Tarantino movie gory with its red paint unrealistically spraying out of a limb like a hose.

My point being, Doom 4 is actually not gory enough to pay homage to the original Dooms and it's also not a strict "Brutal Doom" fandom feature. The gore you don't see in vanilla Doom is more likely due to technology limitations.

Something that confuses me is that the gameplay trailer featured lots of lots of blood particles spraying every which way, and it looks pretty damn good. You see almost none of that in actual gameplay. Maybe they're still tweaking it? To me, the game "Blood" really set the bar, and that's where Doom (4) needs to be. It's not about the shock factor anymore, it's about the feedback being satisfying.

GoatLord said:

Something that confuses me is that the gameplay trailer featured lots of lots of blood particles spraying every which way, and it looks pretty damn good. You see almost none of that in actual gameplay. Maybe they're still tweaking it? To me, the game "Blood" really set the bar, and that's where Doom (4) needs to be. It's not about the shock factor anymore, it's about the feedback being satisfying.

I agree 100% with that. Blood and later FEAR were the games where you really felt that you were wreaking havoc!

It seems that the more games are evolving the more politicaly correct they have to be...

I remember how the gory in the trailer shocked some peoples. Like "OMG Blood'n'Rip!!! How can we tolerate this in a video game?".

Damn guys back in the days you had Mortal Kombat where you could just behead your opponent with bare hands and even rip their spine with it among other things. There was Splatterhouse which involved heavy horror stuff. And this was the Golden Age of video games.

So ok it's more realistic today. But hell this was realistic at the time for peoples too. And we're talking about Doom. A game which involves demons and hell. Not Minions and Ponies. Doom is like "comic books gory meets heavy metal meets geek culture". It is Aliens meets Evil Dead. Dante's Inferno meets Black Sabbat. Doom, in my opinion, must be "I'm listening to heavy metal, grabing huge guns, running fullspeed, killing demons, bathing in blood pools, walking on skins and guts paths in a hell filled with demon's symbols, flames, bones and all the gory stuff you could dream off ". If Doom 4 doesn't follow this, I think it's not really Doom.

Saying Doom is too Gory is like saying North Pole is too cold.

I found that violence and brutality again with games like Serious Sam and Painkiller. So I expect a lot from Doom 4.

Clonehunter said:

I still never found the original Doom to really be that brutal. I mean, it's bloody. but it's not like gorn or anything

Kinda weird you'd say that since Romero showed off pretty disturbing decorations and an death animation for Doomguy.

pro_zealot said:

What i want is to body to not disappear (like in oryginal game) thats all gore is enough.

Agreed but it would be cool to do the normal blood and gore thing combined with Dead Imp pieces slowly burning up like doom 3 but on prtocle effect steroids. Only for certain enemies.

@Tritnew
I dont know why some think the original wasnt that gory. Maybe the dated graphics make it less apparent.

DF88 said:

@Tritnew
I dont know why some think the original wasnt that gory. Maybe the dated graphics make it less apparent.

Me either, but If I saw those sprites In the final version, It would've freaked me out.