Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

Dumplet (single Boom-format map)

Edit: Please don't bump this thread.

"Dumplet" is a small bathroom-themed Boom-format map inspired in part by one of my favorite wads. Difficulty settings are implemented. FDAs and comments are appreciated.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/3c5mrxbw4gyxb28/Dumplet_v3.wad

A couple of -nomo shots:

coOk9yj.png

I6auL7I.png

Old versions for FDAs and stuff:

Edited by rdwpa : cleaning up links

cool shit man! here's a fda that I recorded on hmp, because I felt like playing hmp: https://www.mediafire.com/?vn73yb2n2l30l3o

a few misc thoughts:
- would be slightly nice if there was a cg before you encounter the chaingunners outside the opening room
- the lack of 'secret' flags means you can anticipate the direction most of the enemies will come from via automap. not necessarily a bad thing, because higher difficulty traps will feel less "bullshitty", but it does take some of the surprises out of fda play.
- impassable flags on curvy architecture is a nightmare (see: imp closets in YK fight), player movement gets fucked running against it. I'd recommend either making the fountains >24, or making them >24 and have a boom floor tag to make it look the current height. will make it less awkward to run against
- last fight was neat, was anticipating it would be triggered by the YK switch
- guessing the second secret requires auto-aim to hit those three switches above the arachs? clever idea, even if I couldn't get it. I have 0 qualms with one-shot secrets nowadays.

Ok, the bonus shot made me play it. Some ugly visuals here obviously, I didn't expect any different from toilet rooms I guess. Also that sky has like worst dithering ever haha. Well it was all good fun, here is a lolsy FDA.

Well it was pretty fun. I only found to be annoying the impassable lines in the imps closet at the YK room.

Have an FDA.
This is clearly a Ribbiks worship, humorous setting aside. Invokes mixed feelings in a sense that it's always more interesting to see someone developing a style of his/her own instead of copying another person's work, but oh well. Even the curves are there...
Well, fun enough, in any case. And screw them secrets, yes.

Thanks everyone. Fixed various things people mentioned.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/1dmf81dv0w0dbub/Dumplet_v2.wad

Ribbiks said:

- guessing the second secret requires auto-aim to hit those three switches above the arachs? clever idea, even if I couldn't get it. I have 0 qualms with one-shot secrets nowadays.

Both secrets are accessible via

Spoiler

hidden small switches. :) The second one is in the imp bathroom orgy that doesn't have the lift switch.

Demonologist said:

Have an FDA.
This is clearly a Ribbiks worship, humorous setting aside. Invokes mixed feelings in a sense that it's always more interesting to see someone developing a style of his/her own instead of copying another person's work, but oh well. Even the curves are there...
Well, fun enough, in any case. And screw them secrets, yes.

You are very skilled at Doom -- extremely graceful movement. Do you have any other FDAs (the more challenging the map, the better)? I'd love to watch more.

About the style: I challenged myself to make a map reminiscent of "Crumpets" but with toilets and stuff, so of course the Ribbiks traits have to be there. My other stuff isn't (blatantly) similar in that regard.

rdwpa said:

You are very skilled at Doom -- extremely graceful movement. Do you have any other FDAs (the more challenging the map, the better)? I'd love to watch more.

Thanks for kind words, unfortunately I don't keep those anymore. I rarely record them nowadays to start with, used to produce huge numbers of those but grew tired of it eventually.

rdwpa said:

About the style: I challenged myself to make a map reminiscent of "Crumpets" but with toilets and stuff, so of course the Ribbiks traits have to be there. My other stuff isn't (blatantly) similar in that regard.

Heh, I see, makes sense. This "copy" is competent though, should you remove all the toilets and put it alongside Crumpets - no one would've thought it's another person's map I suppose.

FDA, recorded with v2, unsuccessful. The map was awesome, great looking and very well balanced to make a challenge, which is why I didn't want to give up for at least 30 attempts, but eventually gave up anyway. Beware, my later attempts are almost identical to my earlier attempts, just with more mistakes on my part. Anyway, good job and thanks for the experience!