Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
VGamingJunkie

How to separate fog from below 3D floors?

I have a base of sorts that's underwater and the sectors above and below the 3D floors are set to sector fade to blue to give it that effect but it seems to bleed into the base itself when the ceiling 3D floors weren't given any tag for sector fade. I even tried deliberately setting it to sector fade of a different color and that worked but I'd rather the base be cleared of fog period.

Maybe a screen shot of your problem would help. I do a lot of work with 3D floors, but I don't use fog. If I could see the problem I may be able to replicate it and then see if there's a solution. No promises though.

Dave The Daring said:

Maybe a screen shot of your problem would help.

Alternately sending us the WAD in which it happens, perhaps just isolating the issue and deleting the remaining map around it?

Dragonfly said:

Alternately sending us the WAD in which it happens, perhaps just isolating the issue and deleting the remaining map around it?

If he's comfortable with that, sure.

Dave The Daring said:

If he's comfortable with that, sure.

Obviously. If he's not he will say so. :)

It's the internet standard these days where if you're asking for help people appreciate you showing your current workings. This will enable the helpers to provide a quicker solution.

MetroidJunkie said:

For your convenience, I've made a demonstration WAD to show you the issue. You can see the inner tube fades to red even though the ceiling 3D floor that should determine its lighting has no fade property.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/b2wqzg7wwypb85b/3DFloorFog.wad

I've had a good bash at it but can't figure it out. The only thing I found that worked in the example provided was removing the fade from the sector the player walks in, but then when you're outside of the tunnel looking in, it looks awful.

I'm interested what the correct solution is, if there even is one.

Dragonfly said:

Obviously. If he's not he will say so. :)

It's the internet standard these days where if you're asking for help people appreciate you showing your current workings. This will enable the helpers to provide a quicker solution.

Yeah, I know. I wasn't trying to insinuate anything, I realise you're only trying to help.

MetroidJunkie said:

For your convenience, I've made a demonstration WAD to show you the issue. You can see the inner tube fades to red even though the ceiling 3D floor that should determine its lighting has no fade property.

I'll take a look at it in a minute. Not sure if I'll be able to help much, but I'll give it a try.

Let me know if you find anything, it may just be an inherent problem with how (G)ZDoom handles sector fog and 3D floors. I noticed something, if I give the ceiling 3D floor a fading out property, it has that colored fog completely covering the sectors but still fades out to the same color as the outside.

It does work, but it's weird with black. Try setting the black control sector to blue instead. Inside the tube becomes a really bright blue with the red outside still visible. If you noclip outside you don't see the blue through the translucent sides of the tube.

For some reason, setting the fog to black is a much less intense effect than setting it to some bright colour. The visible red from outside the tube appears to overwhelm the black fog in the tube.

Seems like one of those situations you've just got to 'suck it up'.

One question - can the player access these outside areas? If not, you could put a translucent 3D floor just past the glass windows to 'simulate' a foggy environment, and then place more 'fog layers' further away so it still thickens in the distance. It wouldn't be as good, but it's a fallback option nonetheless.