Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PsychoGoatee

Graveyards, spooky mansions, etc recommendations? (Halloween!)

Are there any good graveyard maps for Doom, tombstones and whatnot? Maybe with grass and some outdoor decor? And how about any spooky mansions that have a different feel from your usual Doom location?

And in general, just any fun maps with a spooky Halloween style aesthetic to them?

Not necessarily a WAD recommendation but Blood is a good game with exactly what you're looking for. Unfortunately I don't know of any WADs that use Blood's theme other than the somewhat dreadful (from memory at least) ZBlud so I can't recommend anything besides the actual game.

I definitely dig Blood, F.E.A.R. is another good spooky shooter from Monolith. There's a cool recent Graveyard (called Graveyard) user level for Duke 3D as well.

Obsidian said:

This one here is a prime candidate if you're looking for something creepy.

What the fuck did I just play?...

Rayzik said:

What the fuck did I just play?...

You dared delve into the dangerously deranged and deliciously demented demesne of Darsycho!

Or my mate Jack's head, in other words.

Obsidian said:

For the record, not looking for creepypasta type stuff etc. Fun more than anything. I just wanna see some tombstones and cool horror decor in Doom.

(edit: Found at least one graveyard map here https://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/70693-bloody-graveyard-halloween-map-now-on-idgames

And another one here: http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/a-c/cemy[/url])

I wonder if there's one with grass, that looks something like a graveyard. Though stylized ones like those are cool too.

Vorpal said:

Nice! You have filled a valuable niche, good sir. Just fired it up, map looks terrific.

(edit: Wow, just beat the first map, that was awesome! Really great looking, and fun to play too. Now on map 2!)

(edit 2: Just beat map 2, great stuff all around. Make sure to immortalize this on idgames if you haven't already.)

Obsidian said:

You dared delve into the dangerously deranged and deliciously demented demesne of Darsycho!

Or my mate Jack's head, in other words.

Hey, my name's Jack, too!

Obsidian said:

May have to give this a try sometime, alongside Unloved that I've yet to play.

I may or may not have had a thing in the works for the past 7 months...
Damn, guess I gotta finish it soon now. I'll shoot for the 30th, see ya there!

PsychoGoatee said:

Make sure to immortalize this on idgames if you haven't already.)

I know it's more of a formality and not enforced, but I disagree with the archive's clause about using assets from other id tech since it's one of the oldest doom modding traditions. Possibly the first wad file I ever played was heretic e1m1 converted to doom. And even TeamTNT's own projects violated the archive rules.

Plus I kinda like having control over my own files if I want to quickly update or delete things. Not that I've ever deleted one of my works, but still having the option is reassuring.

This isn't strictly Halloween themed by any means, but I'd love to see more SP/Coop stuff in the vein of GothicDM 1, 2 & 99. Maybe I'm just not looking in the right spot but I feel this mapping style, applied to Single Player (where you're not trying to run at 50mph past a million snags ugh) would be fantastic.

I've seen a few, but not many. The stained glass, inverted crosses and "cathedral-like" design of many of the maps would perfectly compliment a Halloween theme.

EDIT: UnholyPimpin made a wad about a year ago that was really great and far 2 spooky 4 me, but damn, I can't remember the name for the life of me. It was great though, at the end you fought this big-ass revenant. Really top stuff, in my opinion.

Try:
Chord3, ChordG, ChordNG
Hell Ground (especially the first and last maps)
Bloody Steel (it starts with an "industrial" theme but goes gothic/haunted later)
Deus Vult II map21
Epic 2 map29
Scythe2 map27
Asylum of the Wretched
Horror Collection (Eden)
Claustrophobia (the classic Virgil the Doom Poet wad, not any of the millions of other wads with that name)
Rylayeh

I found Realm of Demonology to be very fun and I seem to remember a good graveyard level. There was another map that I seem to remember being extremely atmospheric, I am pretty certain it was vanilla compatible, had scream sound effects, and you started off in a cell. It has been an awful long time since I played it so my memory's hazy, so hazy, that I cannot remember the name of the fucking thing.

Also, not a wad but I would highly recommend the Splatterhouse series of games. Judging from what I've played of the second on the Mega Drive.

Springy said:

There was another map that I seem to remember being extremely atmospheric, I am pretty certain it was vanilla compatible, had scream sound effects, and you started off in a cell. It has been an awful long time since I played it so my memory's hazy, so hazy, that I cannot remember the name of the fucking thing.

That would be Asylum of the Wreched, recommended above.

NoneeLlama said:

I made a mansion map years ago (complete with a little graveyard in it's garden). It's not the best, but you might like it: http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/a-c/abdmansn

Cool, just downloaded it, will give it a play soon! And thanks for the recommendations folks, I'll try that Cthulhu level too etc.

Cynical said:

Try:
Chord3, ChordG, ChordNG
Hell Ground (especially the first and last maps)
Bloody Steel (it starts with an "industrial" theme but goes gothic/haunted later)
Deus Vult II map21
Epic 2 map29
Scythe2 map27
Asylum of the Wretched
Horror Collection (Eden)
Claustrophobia (the classic Virgil the Doom Poet wad, not any of the millions of other wads with that name)
Rylayeh

Hell Ground and Epic 2 are on my to-play list, looks cool. I've tried the Chords, really hard, I also don't see what makes them more spooky or Halloweeny than your usual Doom map offhand. If some of these like Scythe 2 are full-on slaughters that might make it hard to appreciate the scenery. But thanks none the less. :D