Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Job

Does a Doom Survival Mod Exist?

Love it or hate it, the AI ally marines in the latest Brutal Doom release are pretty nifty. Being able to toggle follow or hold position is pretty handy for setting up ambushes and other more strategic uses. I was wondering if there is a mod for Brutal Doom or any other port that borrows their AI marines for a survival mode. Of course, it would probably require more commands besides the rudimentary hold and follow that already exist.

Kind of like Gears of War, waves of monsters attack your base in ever-increasing size and power until you inevitably lose. And maybe, no the other hand, something like Beast Mode where you can play as the enemy to overtake the marine's base. Again, I'm not sure if something like this already exists, but it seems like it would be pretty fun, depending on how much it was fleshed out.

Sounds a lot like Skulltag\Zandronum's Invasion mode. I can think of a couple of WADs to run with it, such as Delta Invasion, Armageddon 2, Invasion Unleashed, and I GUESS stronghold if you like visuals over gameplay(and I still find said visual style often overrated).

I've been wanting to see/make something like this for a while, Job. I cannot volunteer for this now, but maybe at a later date. I love Gears; especially Beast mode, heh.

Still, I'm sure there are many who could make one a Hell of a lot better than me and would definitely be able to crank it out faster.

The only things that I've seen like this that are already made are:

1) The Call of Dooty 2 (I think it's called) wad for something like a survival mode, though it only has 10 waves that repeat, which is upsetting.

2) The Master of Puppets mod (multiplayer only) let's players play as monsters scattered throughout the level while others play as marines trying to succeed. It's more like a counter-operative mode than a beast mode, but it's fun nonetheless. A bit hectic after a while, though. I think itd be better with less players on smaller maps, but that's just me.

There's also invasions, though I cant say I've ever taken the time to do one. Couldn't tell you much about them though. On the other hand, any arena-style wad could be considered survival. Though I suppose you are looking more for something bigger than one room, heh.

Job said:

Love it or hate it, the AI ally marines in the latest Brutal Doom release are pretty nifty. Being able to toggle follow or hold position is pretty handy for setting up ambushes and other more strategic uses. I was wondering if there is a mod for Brutal Doom or any other port that borrows their AI marines for a survival mode. Of course, it would probably require more commands besides the rudimentary hold and follow that already exist.

I soon plan to take this Marine AI into a separated mod, that allows you to spawn friendly companions with a "teleporter powerup". After this is done, you will be able to use these companions in any skulltag invasion wad, or wads such as Stronghold for example.

Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

I soon plan to take this Marine AI into a separated mod, that allows you to spawn friendly companions with a "teleporter powerup". After this is done, you will be able to use these companions in any skulltag invasion wad, or wads such as Stronghold for example.

This sounds great! Is it possible to have it so you can swap weapons with them or give them different weapons? I'm sure the random spawner (even with command "summon ally") tends to favor the lower-tier weapons. If there was a way to give some flexibility without breaking the balance, that'd be awesome. The other thing is if friendly fire could be fully enabled, since it's easy to get splash damage from a rocket launcher marine. Finally, if they could use grenades too, that'd be great. I find them to be a nice addition to the game and useful tool for ambushes. I'm sure you have your own ideas on how to implement this, but just a couple suggestions.