Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
antares031

How can I find slime trails from level editor?

While Doom Builder checked the map and showed no error, sometimes those annoying slime trails appears whenever I play the map with PrBoom. The first photo shows the map has no error, but second one shows the slime trail at right side. Those trails are visible from particular position and sight angle.

Spoiler

Other source ports such as ZDoom, It doesn't show that slime trails. But I want to fix them as many as possible. Since Doom Builder can't find trails, I need to wander around the map and find them one-by-one. Is there a method to find trails with another level editor? Thanks.

You can't find them in the level editor, you have to check in the map while testing it.

gaspe said:

You can't find them in the level editor, you have to check in the map while testing it.

I thought that there's a particular level editor that finds trails... Thanks for the answer. :)

They're an artifact caused by lack of precision in nodebuilder-created vertices and the software renderer using them (when they aren't caused by blatant mapping errors such as forgetting to put textures on a surface, or not closing a sector, or the like). So you'd need a level editor that uses the Doom engine software renderer code for preview.

I'm not aware of any that exists. Eureka has a software renderer, but it's not one based on the Doom engine.

https://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/1390869

You can remove most slime trails by using ZDoom extended nodes. Alternatively, you can spend hours of trials and errors fiddling a bit with vertex positions and changing nodebuilding settings so that nodes will be built differently and you won't get segment cuts at fractional positions.

http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Slime_trail

Sometimes changing the node builder (not necessarily to ZDBSP) is enough to get rid of a problem, although there's no guarantee that it won't pop up somewhere else.

In my experience, ZenNode is prone to screw up nodes for less rectangular architecture. It gave me enough giant holes in the geometry to switch to BSP-W32.

Gez said:

They're an artifact caused by lack of precision in nodebuilder-created vertices and the software renderer using them (when they aren't caused by blatant mapping errors such as forgetting to put textures on a surface, or not closing a sector, or the like). So you'd need a level editor that uses the Doom engine software renderer code for preview.

I'm not aware of any that exists. Eureka has a software renderer, but it's not one based on the Doom engine.

https://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/1390869

You can remove most slime trails by using ZDoom extended nodes. Alternatively, you can spend hours of trials and errors fiddling a bit with vertex positions and changing nodebuilding settings so that nodes will be built differently and you won't get segment cuts at fractional positions.

http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Slime_trail

Glad to find the level editor with software renderer, I'm gonna try this one. Thanks :)

Da Werecat said:

Sometimes changing the node builder (not necessarily to ZDBSP) is enough to get rid of a problem, although there's no guarantee that it won't pop up somewhere else.

In my experience, ZenNode is prone to screw up nodes for less rectangular architecture. It gave me enough giant holes in the geometry to switch to BSP-W32.

I've just tried BSP-W32 with my map and sadly, no success for me; it still shows trail at the exact vertex ;_;. But, thanks for the comment. :)

Get the node viewer plugin for doom builder (check the software's official website). While in node view mode in DB, zoom in to where the bug appears while playing and you should notice a "hole" in the nodegrid (read a region that is not coloured).

Whenever I get that kind of bug, I just move the vertices around or split my sectors in smaller ones, and rebuild node until the hole disappear.

tomatoKetchup said:

Get the node viewer plugin for doom builder (check the software's official website). While in node view mode in DB, zoom in to where the bug appears while playing and you should notice a "hole" in the nodegrid (read a region that is not coloured).

Whenever I get that kind of bug, I just move the vertices around or split my sectors in smaller ones, and rebuild node until the hole disappear.

I've just tried the plugin and It's really useful! Thanks for the answer :)

Node viewer plugin is awesome.

Spoiler

This is D2INO MAP19 which I made a couple years ago. I actually haven't used the node viewer plugin until today. Looks neat and gives me insight of how dense the damned split segs actually are, that's all I wanted to say here, off-topic I know.