Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DooMBoy

Doom.exe and Dehacked

Well, I hate to start up the 4000th Dehacked thread, but it appears I'm facing some serious trouble with Dehacked. First off, I cannot get the thing to load. I've edited the Dehacked.ini file, and told it exactly where my Doom.exe is and everything, yet when I load it up, it says it cannot find a necessary Doom file! Please help.

that happens to me a lot. but it worked when I deleted some lines in the ini file that I don't need.

for example, I only want to edit Doom2, I don't need Doom, so where it says the path for doom.wad I just delete that line.

Yes, you need to have a editname, normalname and wadname identified correctly (editname = the name of the copy of the exe that Dehacked will create, normalname = the original exe file you are using and wadname where the IWAD is).

It is also worth setting up pathname and patchdir to isentify the directory for running doom from withing dehacked, and the directory where your patch files will be loaded from and saved to by default (the dehacked load and save dialogues are not very helpful, setting this option means you know which directory is in "focus" when the dialogue appears).

If you have specified the wrong exe version, dehacked will probably start, but a lot of the fields will have the word "ERROR" in them. Re edit the dehacked.ini file to try a different version and delete the file you have identified as your "editname" file before restarting dehacked.