Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
boris

how to make monsters trigger lines in Boom

Hey, does anybody know how exactly it's done that monsters can trigger line specials in Boom? Like, a monster crosses a line and a door opens. I tried looking up boomref.txt, but I just don't understand it :) A link to an example was or something like that would be really nice!

Thanks, I should have thought about those links. Anyways, they helped my indirectly by pointing me to DETH, which has build-in support for generalized boom lindedfs.

What's there to understand? Either a trigger is activated by player only, or by monsters/player alike. TRIGCALC can make extended triggers (Boom-only, see its editing tools package), including the option to make triggers trigger by monsters. Please note that not all types of triggers have this option... for example, anything to do with changing light levels can only be done by the player.

I know, but it's really weird. Habe a look at this wad: http://doom.paci-fist.net/trigger.wad]trigger.wad. When the enemy moves over to you, the black "door" should open. But for some reason it does neither in prBoom, nor in Eternity. It works fine in ZDoom though. I created the type number with DETH's generalized door menu. But when I just take the type number (it's 15529) and put it into another level it works fine in prBoom, Eternity and ZDoom.

boris said:

I know, but it's really weird. Habe a look at this wad: http://doom.paci-fist.net/trigger.wad]trigger.wad. When the enemy moves over to you, the black "door" should open. But for some reason it does neither in prBoom, nor in Eternity. It works fine in ZDoom though. I created the type number with DETH's generalized door menu. But when I just take the type number (it's 15529) and put it into another level it works fine in prBoom, Eternity and ZDoom.

remove the secret flag from the line. dont know why, but it caused it to work in boom 2.02, so it probably will in prboom and eternity too

esayeek said:

remove the secret flag from the line. dont know why, but it caused it to work in boom 2.02, so it probably will in prboom and eternity too

Heh, you are right. Works fine without the secret flag.

esayeek said:

Looks like it was intended as a feature - from the source, "monsters [...] can't open secret doors either". Of course this seems a bit stupid, since there's a line flag for whether monsters can open the door why not let the author decide? So write it down as a foolish design decision in Boom, and a bug in ZDoom's Boom support.