Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RelentlessCT

Question on length?

Hello all,
I was wondering if any information on the games length had been published? I would have thought that the question of game length might be something we would have at least some idea of by now, anyone heard anything?

Hell we barely know jack about the game, let alone how long it'll actually be. This demo and a handful of screenshots is all we ever got since they rebooted the project in 2011. It's all we got since they started really.

Yes, very true, It was a shame no one asked questions such as this at the Q&A earlier in the year, like everyone here, I'm starving for some more info.

It isn't worth worrying about the length too much, is it? If it's a good game, which I'm sure we all hope it will be, it will be highly replayable. Otherwise, for a good reference point, Wolfenstein: The New Order was a fairly lengthy game and may provide a good baseline for what we could expect the overall length to be.

Perhaps you are right, I only asked because I've heard nothing about the campaigns length, I loved how each level in doom had as much character as the monster we found inside them, the layouts and design in my opinion became iconic, I have already watched the E3 demo more times then I would feel comfortable admitting :P

None the less I have always found longer games are more enjoyable then something which can be knocked over in a few hours.

GoatLord said:

I imagine the length will vary wildly depending on how apt a speedrunner you are.

Hopefully that is the case. If it weren't it would suggest it is really cutscene heavy/takes you away from the gameplay every few minutes. Thanks modern game design. :P

DMGUYDZ64 said:

Looks like DOOM 4 will be some sort of short game filled with Drama of cutscenes and Scripted seqs .

Honestly I wouldn't mind if they took the formula used by Doom 3, particularly the ROE and The Lost Mission expansions. Those played very well since they ditched the "horror" vibe the base game was trying for.

Well i am guessing this game is more linear and level too level type of progression.

I hope there are at least 30.

The original Doom isn't that long if you know where you're going. I'm more interested in it having replay value and that custom snap map stuff increases the longevity of the SP side.

Zemini said:

I meant linear as in level to level without hubs. Not the levels themselves.

Which would make it like Doom. :)

Nictendo said:

Which would make it like Doom. :)

The original Doom is open world, it's just the open world has really bad traffic management, so your only route anywhere is this door at the end of a weird maze. Or at least I assume there's a door, seems to be a silver door behind me wherever I go.

I think they'll go with a hub like Quake 1, you choose the difficulty you want, and you go to what level/episode you want. And Nightmare will be hidden. Though, that's just me.

Tritnew said:

I think they'll go with a hub like Quake 1, you choose the difficulty you want, and you go to what level/episode you want. And Nightmare will be hidden. Though, that's just me.

I doubt it; when story is involved, it wouldn't make sense to allow you to play the third act before you even went through the first two.
I'd like to just have a level select once you beat it once

wheresthebeef said:

I doubt it; when story is involved, it wouldn't make sense to allow you to play the third act before you even went through the first two.
I'd like to just have a level select once you beat it once

True, and maybe unlock Nightmare after as well?

Tritnew said:

True, and maybe unlock Nightmare after as well?

I definitely prefer it when games don't block off difficulty settings behind the credits/end of the game. Fortunately on PC there is usually a way to unlock such things from the start.