Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Voros

Doom 4's chainsaw suck!

Lets compare:

Classic Doom: chainsaw with simple style of killing.

Doom 3: chainsaw like Classic Doom, but in 3D.

Doom 4: WTF! Who needs that much DRAMA in Doom? Who asked for drama!?

Doom is straight forward game of killing demons. Not a fu**ing play!
What do you guys think?

BTW Brutal Doom's chainsaw adds more realism and no drama. Doom 64's chainsaw is just a twin blade version of the classic.

EDIT- the title is exaggerated I admit.

It takes a few seconds to cut through enemies in Classic Doom and it takes a few seconds in neo-Doom. In both versions, a shitload of blood is shed. I don't see the problem.

The Chainsaw in Doom 4 just needs a consistent chop mode and then the dramatic kill animation can be an option. That would make it perfect.

Nonetheless, if you use the Chainsaw when surrounded by various projectile shooting enemies regardless of the animation you are making either a desperate or poor choice of combat.

Brutal Doom's chainsaw is just as bad, if not worse, because it has that godawful jab/swing windup animation that's even longer than the original.

And what drama? I don't see the demons and Doomguy locking eyes and expressing their reluctance to battle each other, rather that some deep cosmic force has set them up on opposing sides of a battle neither of them believe in and that in another life they could have been glorious allies. I just see a dude slicing crazy critters from the depths of spooky "2yello" hell.

I always find it weird people enjoyed the chainsaw in the original Doom games. I thought it was terrible, why would you want to run up to enemies, chainsaw them, take a chance another guy could shoot you, when you can just line them up and take them out with one or two shotgun blasts. Its not like ammo was scarce when you knew a fair amount of the secret areas.B

wheresthebeef said:

I always find it weird people enjoyed the chainsaw in the original Doom games. I thought it was terrible, why would you want to run up to enemies, chainsaw them, take a chance another guy could shoot you, when you can just line them up and take them out with one or two shotgun blasts. Its not like ammo was scarce when you knew a fair amount of the secret areas.B

To be fair, it's fantastic versus Cacodemons and Arachnotrons because it stunlocks them and their bulky bodies shield you from other enemies.

Clonehunter said:

This OP is all kinds of "What the fuck am I reading?"

Reminds me of YouTube comments.

Voros said:

Lets compare:

Classic Doom: chainsaw with simple style of killing.

Doom 3: chainsaw like Classic Doom, but in 3D.

Doom 4: WTF! Who needs that much DRAMA in Doom? Who asked for drama!?

Doom is straight forward game of killing demons. Not a fu**ing play!
What do you guys think?

BTW Brutal Doom's chainsaw adds more realism and no drama. Doom 64's chainsaw is just a twin blade version of the classic.

Oh stop being a little bitch. You'd honestly prefer the "hold down button and put on monster til it falls" shtick like every other god damn game? How many people even bothered to use the chainsaw?

Seriously I never thought I'd see so many people complain about being able to chop guys up in different ways. I'm far more interested in the chainsaw now than I ever was in any of the iterations.

Doom 4's chainsaw takes too long to kill. plus that fatality thing will get boring every time the chainsaw is used. this is not mortal kombat. it should be straightforward.

this is not hate thread. the simple chainsaw just worked so perfectly for Doom. The new chainsaw is a fatality machine, which will be fun to watch at first but then its the same kind of things you have already done(in the future). Has it evered occured to anyone on why the video shows the chainsaw as "Super Chainsaw"?

to jaxxon r

The wind up thing is part of the mod to put more realism...pain in the ass. Fortuanately, it is ONLY a mod so its not vanilla chainsaw. i only liked the parts where when killing an enemy, those little swings and chops are adding a bit of realism and cute too. And the blood on the chainsaw is fantastic. but Doom 4's chainsaw kills are exaggerated with not a single drop of blood on the chainsaw. i know thats also not available in vanilla Doom but brutal doom has a classic mode, so everybody wins.

Voros said:

Has it evered occured to anyone on why the video shows the chainsaw as "Super Chainsaw"?

Actually it doesn't. He picks it up and it is called the Chainsaw. It appears that some weapons have a secondary mode though? No idea how that is accessed, but in the same place where "Super Chainsaw" shows up when he grabs the chainsaw, it shows "Stun Shot" for the Plasma Rifle. Which actually sounds super dull, who wants to stun things.

At 3:27 or so in this video he activates "Charged Burst" for the Shotgun, which fires off 3 shells in quick succession. Not all weapons have this secondary modes - the Super Shotgun doesn't show anything when he grabs it.

Chainsaw is a great thing to use well, you save so much ammo and have a lot of fun...

Doom 4's chainsaw looks like a pile of wank, I didn't think you could get worse than Brutal Doom's chainsaw but I was proven wrong.

AirRaid said:

it shows "Stun Shot" for the Plasma Rifle. Which actually sounds super dull, who wants to stun things.

... Isn't that one of the primary uses of the plasma rifle ( and chaingun and chainsaw ) in classic Doom?

Voros said:

Doom 4's chainsaw takes too long to kill. plus that fatality thing will get boring every time the chainsaw is used. this is not mortal kombat. it should be straightforward.

The time it takes to kill a thing with a chainsaw is about the same on either iteration so I don't see your point. And again how is it any less tedious or boring as you say than "put chainsaw on monster til it dies"? Also you say this isn't mortal kombat put praise Brutal Doom, which is practically a 1st person MK.

Stop pretending like classic chainsaw was anything special.

I can't believe some of you people are gonna complain about being able to saw a guy in half. I frickin dreamed of the day I'd be able to do that in a Doom game.

Voros said:

the simple chainsaw just worked so perfectly for Doom.

I disagree. It's impractical except if you need to save ammo and it's dull to use. I found it the most disappointing weapon to use having read the previous about weapons before playing the game for the first time.

Xaero_Four said:

The time it takes to kill a thing with a chainsaw is about the same on either iteration so I don't see your point.

Okay you tards actually made me go and time this shit to settle it.

In Doom 2 it takes between 0.5 and 0.9 seconds to kill an imp wkith the chainsaw. It's pretty rough timing, it depends on distance I think?

In the E3 gameplay video the chainsaw deaths take between 2 and 3 seconds depending on whether the demon tried to defend or not.

So yeah it's a bit longer, and probably a real bad idea in a crowd. Here's the thing though, chainsawing in a crowd is a bad idea in Doom 2 as well. You get torn up pretty bad because EVERYTHING is faster. Monsters attack faster, your weapons work quicker, the whole pace of the game is a good chunk quicker than Doom4.

There was a video they did of one of the guys talking about the takedowns, and how they put a lot of work into the flow and rhythm of the combat, and how they absolutely didnt want to break that with any of those animations. So I'm pretty confident that no matter how many extra milliseconds I spent sawing an imps torso in half, it'll still feel pretty good.

AirRaid said:

Actually it doesn't. He picks it up and it is called the Chainsaw. It appears that some weapons have a secondary mode though? No idea how that is accessed, but in the same place where "Super Chainsaw" shows up when he grabs the chainsaw, it shows "Stun Shot" for the Plasma Rifle. Which actually sounds super dull, who wants to stun things.

At 3:27 or so in this video he activates "Charged Burst" for the Shotgun, which fires off 3 shells in quick succession. Not all weapons have this secondary modes - the Super Shotgun doesn't show anything when he grabs it.

Just speculating, but the secondary fire of the super shotgun could be firing a single barrel. Would be a weak alt fire, but I'm not sure what else you could do with it (maybe incendiary or explosive shells)

wheresthebeef said:

Well, I miss most secrets, and I don't take the time to wallhump personally. I also think the chainsaw is just fun.

All I have to say for this, is that I don't want any god damn QTE animations in it. I'm not sitting down to watch a movie, I'm supposed to be playing a videogame when the game's name is Doom. Lately videogames have started to become more and more movies than games, because they keep adding more and more spectating instead of participating..

Classic doom nailed that GAME part with the chainsaw, when compared to DOOM 4.

edit: And before some tightbeanie comes and thinks I'm not down with sawing ppl in half, I am down with it. I am not down with sawing ppl in half and game restricting my movement for the currently happening scripted event/scene/cutscene/video/brutality.

The chainsaw is shit and always have been. There you go you whiny fucks, it's true to the original or whatever. Or not, whatever you think you want in the game.

AirRaid said:

Actually it doesn't. He picks it up and it is called the Chainsaw. It appears that some weapons have a secondary mode though?

WRONG! Look again. When Doomguy picks up the chainsaw and the animation is over, the bottom right has the word "Chainsaw" and to the left of "Chainsaw" is "Super Chainsaw". Probably a secondary mode of the chainsaw...I WANT TO SEE NORMAL CHAINSAW!

Yes. And I went on to explain exactly that in my post, citing another example where we see a secondary mode in action. Maybe try actually reading before shouting "Wrong".

How was I wrong? The name comes up as "Chainsaw". The seconary mode or whatever is marked as Super Chainsaw, but it doesn't "show it as" that. It's clearly a secondary thing, if you take into account the other evidence which I laid out. Just because I didn't specifically mention the Super Chainsaw mode when talking about the secondaries, doesn't mean I was wrong. It's called an inference.

The funny thing is, despite all of your bitching about this, the only logical thing for the "Super Chainsaw" mode to really be is a faster, stronger cut, which would make it more like the classic doom chainsaw, pretty much negating all of your problems.

I get the feeling these over the top deaths are more for the trailer and, if not optionable, at the very least only occur the very first time you kill an enemy with it to show off and then going back to regular deaths. As others have said, this isn't Mortal Kombat. In a first person shooter, the player wants to be moving forward, not have to stare at cutscenes. If we wanted that, we could just play one of the military shooters. XD