Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dio

Your favorite scray or horror movies

It's that time of the year. I watch scary and horror all year round so I've kinda run out of stuff to watch. Any suggestions? What are your favorites? Supernatural. Killer. Creature. Horrific.

Evil Dead series, Halloween, The Thing, Night of the Living Dead and similar titles.... The Super Mario Bros. Movie is pretty shriek-out-loud terrifying.

Halloween, TCM, Maniac, Evil Dead 2, Hellraiser (only thing us Britlanders have to our name for horror), Prowler, The Thing Japanese horror such as; Ju-On and Ringu to name a few. I will be honest and say I found the Friday the 13th series and MBV to be very overrated, in all honesty. Both had shit acting and were very much dull I suppose the same could be said for a few I mentioned but I didn't find those to be up to snuff. Back to the subject of J-horror; I've still yet to watch Sweet Home, though, but it sounds really good and has an interesting release which also highly influenced the RE series.

Sinister scares the shit out of me every time. I've also enjoyed the Paranormal Activity series, Insidious, Apollo 18, The Babadook, The Thing, the original Amityville Horror, and just about anything involving alien abduction.

The VHS series was mostly just fair to stupid, but VHS2 did have an awesome segment in it. It was called Safe Haven, and was about an film crew doing a documentary on an Indonesian religious cult (the whole segment was done by Indonesian writers and crew). Very weird shit goes down, and there's a great ending to it.

Halloween 1 and 2. (The original ones) and Friday the 13th 1 through 4. A more modern horror movie I liked was Dead Silence. The newer Hellraiser movies I like as well, where it's more of psychological thriller than a slasher type movie.. But they are all pretty good as well.. Besides hellworld which was horrible in my opinion.

Many of the ones mentioned so far, plus Nightmare on Elm Street, Suspiria, Friday the 13th Final Chapter, Lost Highway (a bit different), Demons (Demoni), Phantasm

The Thing for sure. Hellraiser is always a good choice (the early ones).

FireFish said:

Cube, hellraiser, the (original) thing, room 1408, silent hill, and so on.

I do not remember its name... but there once was this odd comical zombie movie where they end up living in a basement, which i also enjoyed watching years ago.

Are you talking about the Original Original The Thing? Not John Carpenters?

You sort of need to have a real old fashion taste for movies back then imo.

Demons, Zombi 2, The House by the Cemetery, Dawn of the Dead, Return of the Living Dead, The Evil Dead, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Scream, Tenebre, Child's Play.

Chezza said:

Are you talking about the Original Original The Thing? Not John Carpenters?

You sort of need to have a real old fashion taste for movies back then imo.

The movie from the year 1982. I guess its the "original" thing in the same way as doom is the "original" first person shooter. :)

Event Horizon is my shit. Its the only movie that ever actually engrossed me, everything else is so cliche'd and predictable its hard to even get excited, let alone scared. Dead Snow is also great, for slightly different reasons c;

Alongside Hellraiser, Evil Dead, Alien Series etc... I've been watching more obscure movies lately.
Some Halloween recommendations (and to show how cultured I am :P)

John Carpenters The Thing will always be my all time favorite Horror movie and im not even a big fan of horror movies. Everything about that movie just clicks and it still holds up to this day.
As mentioned Event Horizon is also an underrated classic and another great one not mentioned yet is Jacobs Ladder.

I saw Basket Case at a mates the other night. It's so bad it's funny. We tend to have shitty movie horror night every now and then. In saying that though, we actually do appreciate and love interesting puppetry and techniques.

Alien is my favorite horror movie, but I'll list a bunch of my other favorites as well, minus the big name horror movies that I'm sure everyone has heard of. The Giant Claw (1957), Duel (1971), Westworld (1973), The Car (1977), Prophecy (1979), Q The Winged Serpent (1982), Maximum Overdrive (1986), Tremors (1990), Arachnophobia (1990), The Langoliers (1995), The Ghost & The Darkness (1996), The Relic (1997), Versus (2002), Bubba Ho Tep (2003), The Host (2006), Slither (2006), Primeval (2007), The Burrowers (2009), Grabbers (2012)

Jaws In Space said:

Alien is my favorite horror movie... [cut for size]

Arachnophobia (1990) : i have not seen this in ages.

The host (2006) : that was an interesting one when i saw it.

Westworld (1973) : Thanks for reminding me of this movie.

Jaws In Space said:

Alien is my favorite horror movie, but I'll list a bunch of my other favorites as well, minus the big name horror movies that I'm sure everyone has heard of. The Giant Claw (1957), Duel (1971), Westworld (1973), The Car (1977), Prophecy (1979), Q The Winged Serpent (1982), Maximum Overdrive (1986), Tremors (1990), Arachnophobia (1990), The Langoliers (1995), The Ghost & The Darkness (1996), The Relic (1997), Versus (2002), Bubba Ho Tep (2003), The Host (2006), Slither (2006), Primeval (2007), The Burrowers (2009), Grabbers (2012)

I dig a good 2/3rds of those movies, and a few I haven't seen are now on my to-watch list! Domo arigato

I thought the first Saw was good, and the others pale in comparison as they don't have that "fresh" factor the first one did.

It's not exactly a horror film but I love 2001: A Space Odyssey, and there's no denying that HAL becomes incredibly creepy over the course of the film..

Tucker and Dale VS Evil is a great horror-comedy.

Here's a few which haven't been mentioned: It Follows (2014), The Borderlands (2013), The Exorcism of Emily Rose (2005), The Descent (2005), Candyman (1992), Honeymoon (2014), The Wicker Man (1973)

And if you're looking for something a little different, not really in the vein of horror but weird psychological thrillers which make you go "wtf did I just watch?": Enemy (2013), Audition (1999), The Machinist (2004), A Field in England (2013), Under the Skin (2013), pretty much anything directed by David Lynch or Lars von Trier...

This thread is making me remember so many movies trough the lists others write.

Ichi the killer, tokyo gore police.

I havent wathed Ichi in ages, i only remember some beat up faces, while the later is on my list of to watch... in the range of disturbing fetisch monsters and gore... which could be a form of horror

Doomkid said:

It's not exactly a horror film but I love 2001: A Space Odyssey, and there's no denying that HAL becomes incredibly creepy over the course of the film.

A friend of mine refuses to watch that masterpiece because she finds HAL and that whole sub-plot too creepy. To be fair, it's not the only creepy thing in the movie. So yeah, it qualifies. :)

FireFish said:

This thread is making me remember so many movies trough the lists others write.

Ichi the killer, tokyo gore police.

I havent wathed Ichi in ages, i only remember some beat up faces, while the later is on my list of to watch... in the range of disturbing fetisch monsters and gore... which could be a form of horror

Same here, there's also movies mentioned that I have been meaning to watch. Although I am not a fan of splatter films/high gore films things like Cannibal Holocaust and Guinea Pig, the former was a good film but I have not seen the latter, though but I think that would be a bit OTT for me same thing with any Takashi Miike films like the one you mentioned.

DeathevokatioN said:

*12 embedded videos in one post*

Wow, this page kind of seriously lags after being loaded in either of my web browsers.