Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Da Eediot

Every time I save a WAD using SLADE, my WADs get deleted.

HELP!!!!!!! By the way, I have them backed up on a USB Drive, but it's still annoying!

edit: Don't allcaps your titles, please. It doesn't make your text any louder. Fixed.

Do you have write permissions where you are writing it to?

Also assuming Windows, also possible your virus scanner is deleting it.

Are you trying to save them in a directory that is somewhere within C:\Program Files\? Like maybe C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\Doom 2\?

First of all, you shouldn't make threads with the thread title in all capitals. Not only is it a form of shouting, it makes you look like a child.

Second of all, you did the right thing in making backups should something go wrong.

Third...

SavageCorona said:

What are you actually doing?

Do the entire maps and even files get deleted? Or does the Map sort of goes back in time and removes large portions or almost everything clean?

The only theory I can contribute is that you loaded Slade first followed by loading the current Wad. Then you opened Doom Builder and started working on it. As a result, regardless of how much work you do on Doom Builder and how much you may have been saving it at some point you might of SAVED THE GAME ON SLADE WHICH OVERWRITES DOOM BUILDERS PROGRESS resulting in all your work on Doom Builder to reverse back to Slade's version of the map. This has happened to me twice before, I discovered this the hard way.

So Slade can be a very hazardous tool for your mapping if you load up the older wad and press save afterwards. You need to make a habit of quitting Slade and reloading the wad if you have made any changes on Doom Builder.

Chezza said:

Do the entire maps and even files get deleted? Or does the Map sort of goes back in time and removes large portions or almost everything clean?

The only theory I can contribute is that you loaded Slade first followed by loading the current Wad. Then you opened Doom Builder and started working on it. As a result, regardless of how much work you do on Doom Builder and how much you may have been saving it at some point you might of SAVED THE GAME ON SLADE WHICH OVERWRITES DOOM BUILDERS PROGRESS resulting in all your work on Doom Builder to reverse back to Slade's version of the map. This has happened to me twice before, I discovered this the hard way.

So Slade can be a very hazardous tool for your mapping if you load up the older wad and press save afterwards. You need to make a habit of quitting Slade and reloading the wad if you have made any changes on Doom Builder.

Here's a better way:

Chezza said:

So Slade can be a very hazardous tool for your mapping if you load up the older wad and press save afterwards.

That's not hazardous, that's blatant disregard for common sense. Don't independently open a file for editing in two different programs, as they will obviously not be aware of each other's changes.

I opened the my custom WAD on Slade to edit, and then when I went back to the folder, all of the WADs got deleted!

HavoX said:

First of all, you shouldn't make threads with the thread title in all capitals. Not only is it a form of shouting, it makes you look like a child.

Second of all, you did the right thing in making backups should something go wrong.

Third...

That was extremely unhelpful. I intentionally made it in all caps so that it would catch people's attention. And I realize backing up my WADs was a good idea. That's the exact reason I did it.

People will see the thread if you type normally. If anything people are more likely to ignore it because frankly they probably think you're not a bright kid who makes a thread at the first sign of a problem without searching elsewhere first or seeing if you can fix it yourself.

Da Eediot said:

HELP!!!!!!! By the way, I have them backed up on a USB Drive, but it's still annoying!

Same thing happens to me. let's stick to xwe for a while until we learn what the fuck do we do. i don't use slade, but i use lots of tools as an example one for making 8 bit wav files that turns them into doom format wav files

Da Eediot said:

I intentionally made it in all caps so that it would catch people's attention.

SavageCorona said:

People will see the thread if you type normally. If anything people are more likely to ignore it because frankly they probably think you're not a bright kid who makes a thread at the first sign of a problem without searching elsewhere first or seeing if you can fix it yourself.

+1 to SavageCorona

/soap_box
It's one thing to be concerned that your thread will not get a response... it's another thing entirely to fight for the right to be in all-caps because you believe that "you" and "your thread" are more important than all the other people, and their threads. While others here may try to help you find solutions to your problems, the drama you grant the problem is only in YOUR head. The crisis is yours alone.

Ultimately, all-caps in a thread title is really analogous to trying to push your way to the front of the line. Trying to defend "me-me-me" thread titles is selfish... end of story. Considering you're asking for help from others, show that it's warranted by not being a selfish person and getting to the back of the line like everyone else does... (read: stop using all-caps in the belief that you are more important than anyone else).
/soap_box