Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Avoozl

Quake with sprites instead of models for monsters and the player?

I've been wondering how Quake would've fared with sprites instead of models at least for the monsters and player character.

Has there ever been any attempt to make a sprite based Quake, would it require very extensive changes to the engine to do so?

Faxmachine said:

Regardless, you can look at retroblazer to see quake with sprites since it is running darkplaces modified: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=375199095 a video automatically plays when you open this link, so take care.

My apologies but there was a lack of explaining on my part, I know there's new games being made on Quake's engine with sprites but what I mean by "Has there ever been any attempt to make a sprite based Quake" I mean actual vanilla Quake modded with its vanilla monsters and player in sprite form while on Quake's own engine.

But then again I didn't think about how much work is involved if someone wanted to remake the monsters as sprites the traditional way rather than simply by video capture and editing the image of the actual 3D models in game.

One of Carmack's attempts at trying to make Quake run faster was to render far-away monsters as sprites and only update them every couple of frames.

Linguica said:

One of Carmack's attempts at trying to make Quake run faster was to render far-away monsters as sprites and only update them every couple of frames.

Interesting, I don't think I've ever heard that before.

When I read the question I thought you meant Sprites that were meant to be sprites from the beginning, as opposed to low res models converted into sprites. A hand-drawn Quake or sprites based on real or digital models (a la Doom and Duke 3D) would certainly be interesting, and it'd be interesting how it would affect the game's Lovecraftian aesthetic. The murkiness of the models certainly gives it an atmosphere, but so did some of the crispness of HeXen's sprites, giving a big hand to its dark comic book like style.

Linguica said:

So basically an early dynamic LoD. I wonder why they didn't see it through. Maybe just optimized everything else to the point where it wasn't needed, or maybe they just thought the transition would look too jarring? The latter would feel ironic considering how modern games have no issues blatanly displaying pop-in models and textures.

GeckoYamori said:

So basically an early dynamic LoD. I wonder why they didn't see it through. Maybe just optimized everything else to the point where it wasn't needed, or maybe they just thought the transition would look too jarring? The latter would feel ironic considering how modern games have no issues blatanly displaying pop-in models and textures.

Are there large enough areas in vanilla Quake that it would have made a difference? Maybe they were thinking of including more open areas and decided it would just be easier to make more compact levels instead.

I think the first Far Cry turned trees into sprites beyond some point.