Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

How do I import my own sky?

I want to put the DOOM 1 episode 2 sky into my DOOM 2 DM map. I want to do this using DeepSea if possible. But any other suggestiosn on how I might go about this are appreciated. Thank you.

Create your texture, then using wintex, import it into the wad as the patch 'rsky#' (# being number 1, 2, 3 or 4 depending on where you want to use it).

Spike said:

Create your texture, then using wintex, import it into the wad as the patch 'rsky#' (# being number 1, 2, 3 or 4 depending on where you want to use it).

only RSKY1 thru 3

Ultimate Doom has rsky4 (thy flesh consumed)

Spike said:

Ultimate Doom has rsky4 (thy flesh consumed)

ultimate doom has SKY1 thru SKY4

RSKYs are all in doom2.

*looks up, blinks, hangs head in shame*

Sorry. Just punch me now, eh?

Spike said:

*looks up, blinks, hangs head in shame*

Sorry. Just punch me now, eh?

dood relax its no big deal :)

Jason: open doom.wad with wintex, under the tab "select" and choose "patch", then go ahead and look for the right patch you'd like to use, Doom I Ep 2's skybox is supposed to be named as "sky1". After you have it highlighted, make sure you have it copied into the clipboard, in order to do that, go to the tab "edit" and click on "copy entries". Now the rest of the work you need to do is to open doom2.wad and replace the sky you want to.

Damnit it didn't work. There was no sky1. There was only sky2, sky3 and sky4 in the DOOM.wad. I copied Sky2 from DOOM.wad (which is the one I wanted, it was the episode 2 sky) and pasted it on F_SKY1 of my u-romero4.wad, which is a DOOM 2 pwad.

Kim Kitten said:

Here's the dumb question since I want to do something similar... What the heck is 'Wintex'?

WinTex is a program that allows you to put stuff or take stuff out of a .wad file.

Hellbent said:

Maybe somebody else can try explaining how to do this?

Thanks for the help thus far guys.

You are supposed to save it under "patches" section, go to select -> patches -> then under "edit" and click "paste entries" once you have the right patch inserted into the clipboard. Afterward, under "advanced", go to "edit texture". Now you would a list of textures on the left side, a list of patches on the right side. Find Sky1/sky2/sky3 (depends on what you want it to be) in the list of textures, delete the original patch from the list in the center, choose the skybox patch you copied from the list of patches and paste on picture box. Adjust its alignments if it needs. Finally, in order to save it, go to "File" and "quit", click on yes to save it before you leave. Btw, if you said you wanted E2's skybox, you should go with "sky2", sorry about the typo, can't type really well without lights on :)

Ok, I've downloaded and installed Wintex, and, if I'm reading this right, a new 'image texture', the things you put on walls etc (right?), has to be a .lmp file, right? So, how do I convert a regular .jpg into a .lmp? Is there a program somewhere?

I'm about to go look in the Utils section, but figured I'd ask anyway.

No. The Doom textures are in fact not image files but merely a big data file with references to images.

These images are called patches and they are in .bmp format.

What you do is that you load an image with the "load entry from file" into the PATCHES section.

Then you chose the "edit texture" option from the "advanced" menu. This will bring up a texture menu screen. Chose the "new texture" option from the "textures" menu. Then get your picture from the patches list an place it within the cyan area.

If you want the texture to be used for walls you must be sure that there is NO cyan visible since cyan is Doom's color for transperancy.

Here's what to do:

Open the Doom iwad with Wintex.
Find the 'sky2' entry (under patches).
Copy to clipboard.
Open your wad.
Paste the sky in.
Go to the 'guru only' menu and rename the entry to 'rsky1'.
Save wad, and you're done.

(I don't know about deepsea cos I only use it to change sky texture heights to 200 for zdoom)

If you ever want to make your own skys, remember to save them as 256-colour bitmaps (not 24-bit)

Yay! It worked! Thanks guys! I had inserted the sky texture correctly. I just needed to rename it from 'sky2' to 'rsky1'

Okay,I'm trying to do the same.I've downloaded Wintex but it tells me I need the file vbrun300.dll for it to run.Where do I get it?

You get it from me: http://schmolze.com/~jacobi/VBRUN300.DLL

Download this file and save it in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\

Then run Wintex and see if it doesn't work.

If clicking on the file does not prompt you to save the file to disk, right click on the file instead of left clicking on it and choose "Save Target As..."

Or you could dl the file zipped: http://schmolze.com/~jacobi/VBRUN300.ZIP and then unzip the file into C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\

congraulations! btw, this thread should belong to "editing" forum ;)

Hellbent said:

/me chugs a pint.

Well deserved.That's so easy,thanks UD, I've asked this question before and got numerous answers, none of which I actually got to work (my fault,I'm sure).

magikal said:

Well deserved.That's so easy,thanks UD, I've asked this question before and got numerous answers, none of which I actually got to work (my fault,I'm sure).

You should have done a quick search with google. I experienced the same problem also when I first used it.